E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Glasses/storage compartment Q

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 02:42 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2000 E320
Glasses/storage compartment Q

Aloha guys. I have a question about the storage compartment right below where the radio sits. My car never came with one when I bought the car, it just had a frame with lid, so got somewhat cheaper used one from evilbay. It fits in the slot rather nicely. However, whenever the interior get hot, the surface of the compartment turns into kind a like rubbery goo. Gets very sticky and gooey. Since the car never came with one, I have nothing to compare to.

Is this normal on these car? Or there's something I can do? It has what it feels like a rubber like coating on the plastic when cold. My guess is that stuff is melting but I can't imagine MB will lay a coat of this kind of coating where the stuff melts.

Last edited by ilove190evo; 10-16-2023 at 02:45 AM.
Old 10-16-2023, 05:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
wait it get worse------now you have a comparison
Old 10-16-2023, 07:03 PM

2000 E320
Really? Whatever happened to quality control? As I understand up in EU don't get hot as here, Surely they have some kind of quality control as they were and still exporting these cars!

In any case, thanks Plutoe. Now, I have to take them off and see if I can remove this coating/lining. I may just take them off and make them from fiberglass or something.
Old 10-17-2023, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
this sounds similar to the aging and degradation of the steering wheel button, radio knob, etc...which are a rubber coated item. If so there really isn't much you can do other than buying new buttons. But with the compartment that becomes a more costly issue. There are chemical products you can try but I've not found that they restore the finish to like-new condition. One home DIY is high grade 90% rubbing alcohol. The other is this smelly thing that burned the nose hairs (kinda) when I used it -
Amazon Amazon

Similar deterioration occurs with rubber coated items I have which are a couple of decades old or more, e.g. binoculars, AM/FM radio knobs, telescope controls.

The chemicals appear to 'dissolve' some of the seemingly melted finish and render them faded, chalky and matt....but clearly not back to new finish. Arguably, it's better than having to touch the sticky finish. I've not tried spray painting them after using the alcohol or chemical solvent..... yet.
Old 10-17-2023, 03:21 AM

2000 E320
Thanks raymond. Yeah, I was gonna try denatured alcohol instead of rubbing one. And yes, I understand that rubber/rubbery coating going bad with age. I didn't know our MB came with one in the compartment. So I wanted to be sure and try whatever method I can find. Usually, I'll go with Acetone route, but with the plastic box, I'll pass on the Acetone for now. Hell, I may even try some kind of hard coating stuff that we supposed to use it on a metal. But first thing first, I'll try whatever is easiest and most affordable first. As I mentioned, I may even try just make box from fiberglass, and attach it using a screw or some kind of adhesive.

In any case, I have issue I need to tackle first, so this is way down the line on my list. But I'll be sure to update it as soon as I deal with it.