E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Weird ABS problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 e320 4matic
Weird ABS problem

Hey,
I have a 1999 e320 4matic.
Keep in mind there were no dash lights on.
if you start the car and drive for any length of time, no problem.
Here’s the scenario:
Let’s say you drive to the store and shut the car off. When you come out and drive away…at 45-50mph the ABS will start kicking on. It will do this constantly UNTIL you come to a complete stop. Once you stop, it won’t do it again. If you stop somewhere else and shut the car off, it will do the same thing again.
so, today I replaced the front speed sensors with some I got on eBay. BAS, traction control, check engine, etc are on and the car is in limp mode.
tomorrow I’m just going to throw the old ones back in. They apparently work better than the new ones. And the car is drivable. Not sure how the new one f’d everything up.
for the life of me, i can’t figure this out or find anything online of a similar problem.
If anyone has an idea…I’m all ears.

thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-2023, 06:44 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2000 E320
First thing you need to do is scan it. Stop throwing part that you don't need, unless you enjoy spending your hard earned money.

You replaced a sensor and you don't know if that is bad. Could be a hiccup from the computer. Never know with cars nowadays. So scan it. If you don't have a scanner, find a friend with scanner or if you planning to keep the car, buy one. With modern electronics, specially with our MB, Without scanning it, even the veteran of MB, can't tell you what's wrong. We can only tell you the most likely scenarios. After scan, If it doesn't throw you a code, then we need to pick our brains. But until then, scanning is very simple and accurate.

BTW, I'm no veteran of MB, but been a mechanic for long time. I stopped guessing because of above reason. I too, threw away money that I didn't need by guessing the most likely scenario and was wrong. I now have several scanners. Tool is there to make your life easier. Use them.