E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Suggestions for repair (2001 E320 Wagon)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320 4Matic Wagon
Suggestions for repair (2001 E320 Wagon)

Hello all, I have a 2001 E320 wagon (she's a beaut, forest green) and I've proudly owned her for 2 years. Since I got the car I haven't been in a position money wise to do what I want with it (college kid) but now that I'm making big boy money I plan on doing justice to her. I haven't neglected her per say, but she definitely could use some TLC. Since I got the car every time I make a sharp turn, the doors lock/unlock and the interior lights come on. Fortunately you can turn the lights off so that's not a huge issue, but one I want to get fixed. 2nd on the list is a solid bumper replacement. I absolutely smoked a racoon (I swear it had to have been a state record racoon) and royally messed up my bumper/fog light. 3rd on the repair list is the outside turning signal. Someone backed into me in a parking lot, I got out to check the damage and saw none and we went on our merry ways (not even paint wiped off). Low and behold, there was damage and a small crack formed in the plastic and that light then proceeded to flyoff unbeknownst to me on the interstate. My tire blew out in Pennsylvania when I was driving from Georgia to Maine when I first got it, and the little cover for the car jack (also the worst jack design I think I've ever seen, sorry just not a fan of it) came off. Theres also a decently rough sun spot between the sunroof and windshield. Thats pretty much all the cosmetic damage and the one electrical thing.
However
The week of graduation for college, i was driving it and when i made a turn she just gave out on me. I was concerned, turned it off and on again, and she drove. That was about ~5 minutes after starting her up. Then about 5 minutes after that the same thing happened(I already ditched the previous plan just wanted to do a quick loop around the town and figure out what could have happened). She gave out again, then I figured might as well go home and call a tow. So I did. And took it to a place (won't name the place, but pretty sure I got scammed, he said the coolant was leaking into the transmission line from the radiator or something, this was 8 months and $700 ago), and that didn't solve the issue. I went to an maritime college and I had to spend last summer at sea so I couldn't talk over the phone and he just repaired it and charged me, even tho I wanted to hear the issue first as I thought it was the transmission for a second. It wasn't. Anyways i get back from the sea term, and my friend is driving the car to me and the same thing happens. I was planning on driving it back to Georgia. So I sold it to him for a dollar and told him to scrap it or sell it. Called him a couple days ago and found out he hadn't scrapped it yet, and now that I have big boy money I want to do the car justice.

So, upon research im pretty sure the big issue is the CPS sensor that needs to be replaced, as I did notice my RPMs fluctuating while driving a steady speed a couple days prior to it shutting itself down. And that's issue 1 I will tackle, but in case it could be something different if any of yall have had the same/similar issue I would like to know. Secondly, this is my first time owning a Mercedes and more of an older one at that, and was wondering if it's worth saving. I absolutely love the car to death. I have some interior stuff I need to do with dead pixels amongst other things but that's for a later time. If anyone has any ideas on where to start with the doors locking/unlocking, the easiest way to get the parts for the bumper, fog light, and side turning signal. Assuming primed part and have to get it painted elsewhere. I'm stuck on a ship til March at the earliest so I want to get back home and pretty much have everything ready to go to head up to Maine, repair big things, drive home, repair small things. Anything helps. Hope this wasn't too long of a read.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:43 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2000 E320
One man's junk is another man's treasure and vice versa. So is your car worth anything? That's up to you. Remember, buying a brand new car or used car, you are getting ripped off to a certain point. So if you find a car you like, I'll say stick to it unless that car is a money pit. I am proud owner of 86' (yes, that's 1986) Monte Carlo SS and I'm not letting her go. She need lots of work despite I took her to a reputable body shop here 5 years ago, but they f**ked her up royally. I won't bore you with details, but let's just say I'm still working to get her straight. She need repaint as well because the primer coat wasn't sanded and paint is starting to peel off, and I have rust issue because where they welded to replace the rusted places, they forgot to treat the weld beads after they finished with welding.

Anyway, if you ask me, I have 2000 E320 which I just picked up last June, and I absolutely love the car. She IS showing her age but been almost 1/4 century old, I'll say she's in good shape. Although some of the price of Mercedes parts is unbelievable, my wife love her as well so I'm keeping her in good shape. Besides, she only had 66k miles when I picked her up, and she is around 68k now. She have so many life left in her so yeah, she's a keeper for sure. Unless something big happen, like trans failing on me or engine blow up, I'll fix her up.

BTW, I live in middle of nowhere, so if I can fix her, you have no excuse or reason not to, if you like the car. Besides, you're qualified for free shipping from most places. I don't. And I'm still fixing her.
The following 2 users liked this post by ilove190evo:
davmil2002 (01-22-2024), PapaDuce (01-22-2024)