E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Driver HID bulb is very purple, whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG 55, 335i, Mini Cooper S
Driver HID bulb is very purple, whats wrong?

Tonight I turned on my head lights and I notice after about two seconds the driver light turned really dark and purple. What is this a sign of? Is the bulb bad? How much should I pay for a new one?
Thank you.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
yes i believe the bulb is going bad....
Old 11-15-2004, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Get a matching pair from E-Bay. Otherwise, they will never be a perfect color match.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MY2004 E320
I got mine off of ebay

Hi, One of my e420's Xenon HIDs burnt out 6mo ago, and MB stealer was asking $300 a piece. I wanted a matching pair because their color matures as they age.

Frustrated, I tried the tested ole ebay, and guess what! got a *BRAND NEW* pair from ebay for ~75.00 shipped to me.

The bulbs came in small BOSCH boxes like spark plug boxes, and had the same part number as MB Dealer.

I am very happy with that transaction. In addition, I now have a spare!

Just an FYI. Mine blew (did not turn purple - which kinda means that there is an air leak in the bulb's xenon pocket making the element corroded) and I had to sweep the pieces and boy that was a pain. I ultimately had to chew a gum and put it on a pencil to reach for the glass that ended deep into the light well. Glass stuck nicely to gum, and I practically vaccumed it that way. Wish I had a real small vacuum to suck all the pieces out.

Another IMHO, Do not toush the Actual headlamp glass assembly or take it out. You just have to unclamp the back and replace bulbs. Doing so will throw off the light balance.

Hope this helps. My 2c.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by mobinakhtar
Hi, One of my e420's Xenon HIDs burnt out 6mo ago, and MB stealer was asking $300 a piece. I wanted a matching pair because their color matures as they age.

Frustrated, I tried the tested ole ebay, and guess what! got a *BRAND NEW* pair from ebay for ~75.00 shipped to me.

The bulbs came in small BOSCH boxes like spark plug boxes, and had the same part number as MB Dealer.

Just an FYI. Mine blew (did not turn purple - which kinda means that there is an air leak in the bulb's xenon pocket making the element corroded) and I had to sweep the pieces and boy that was a pain. I ultimately had to chew a gum and put it on a pencil to reach for the glass that ended deep into the light well. Glass stuck nicely to gum, and I practically vaccumed it that way. Wish I had a real small vacuum to suck all the pieces out.

Another IMHO, Do not toush the Actual headlamp glass assembly or take it out. You just have to unclamp the back and replace bulbs. Doing so will throw off the light balance.

Hope this helps. My 2c.
thanks all for your help. I just landed up going to the dearler and paid $122 for one, not to bad and the model is a Phillps D2R. I'm guessing the bulb blew because I might have gotten some grease when converting my head lamps to the new clear crystal "facelift".
Mario
Old 11-17-2004, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Boy, what a rip off my dealer. I sold my Philips D2R for $50, litterally new. I think OceanView has a same pair on sale right now too.

Mercedes use Philips or Osram bulbs for their xenon. As the matter of fact, there're three or four manufacture out there that make bulb for all auto manufacture.

The bulb that you just bought is <b><i> identical </i></b> to those that one sale on HID forum or eBay,. around $60-70/pair, I think.

I personallly think you're paying 300% too much

Originally Posted by E55Cent
thanks all for your help. I just landed up going to the dearler and paid $122 for one, not to bad and the model is a Phillps D2R. I'm guessing the bulb blew because I might have gotten some grease when converting my head lamps to the new clear crystal "facelift".
Mario
Old 11-17-2004, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
E55Cent, how are you using a D2R HID reflector bulb in a projector headlamp assembly designed for an H7 halogen bulb (assuming)?
Old 11-17-2004, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by E55 KEV
E55Cent, how are you using a D2R HID reflector bulb in a projector headlamp assembly designed for an H7 halogen bulb (assuming)?
Mine are HID "facelift" everyone has been waiting for, I'm guessing I'm just the first one. The installation was fairly easy and the results are wonderful. I very happy and the cost wasn't too bad. Now if I would stop spending my money on all this little stuff, I could get my new Supercharger.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:44 PM

W212 & W210
Mine are HID "facelift" everyone has been waiting for, I'm guessing I'm just the first one. The installation was fairly easy and the results are wonderful. I very happy and the cost wasn't too bad. Now if I would stop spending my money on all this little stuff, I could get my new Supercharger.

Where did you get your set from?
Old 11-17-2004, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55Cents: the one with HID facelift is identical to other projector made by Depo, except they have a slot at the bottom of the housing so that you can mount the ballast. However, you could mount the ballast pretty much anyway you want. Everything else is the same: (crappy) projector, lens, mount, wire, housing, plug...

Wether you're having the facelift or earlier version of projector light, you're using the wrong bulb: if you headlight is reflector, you should use D2R, if it's projector, you're supposed to used D2S bulb. All Mercedes (especially the W210) prior to year 2002, have only reflector headlight, for both xenon and halogen. And that's why they sold you D2R. Now that you have projector headlight, you should have used D2S.

If you prefer dealer, you should have asked them bulb for the W211 (03 & newer E320/500), since that's what you headlight is based on.

I
Old 11-17-2004, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by zam2000
E55Cents: the one with HID facelift is identical to other projector made by Depo, except they have a slot at the bottom of the housing so that you can mount the ballast. However, you could mount the ballast pretty much anyway you want. Everything else is the same: (crappy) projector, lens, mount, wire, housing, plug...

Wether you're having the facelift or earlier version of projector light, you're using the wrong bulb: if you headlight is reflector, you should use D2R, if it's projector, you're supposed to used D2S bulb. All Mercedes (especially the W210) prior to year 2002, have only reflector headlight, for both xenon and halogen. And that's why they sold you D2R. Now that you have projector headlight, you should have used D2S.

If you prefer dealer, you should have asked them bulb for the W211 (03 & newer E320/500), since that's what you headlight is based on.

I
Thanks for the advice but if I change bulbs to what you suggest, how will it affect my lighting? What will be the major change? I'm not sure if if would be worth changing, do you?
Old 11-17-2004, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

D2R is 2700-2800 Lumen (unit of brightness)
D2S is 3200-3400 Lumen

The Kelvin value actually have nothing to do with brighness, as the matter of fact, the higher you go, the less bright the light is.

To some, 15% difference in brightness is non signficant. I think it's rather the personal preference & weighting of cost & value.

However, when I changed light from D2R to D2S, the difference is quite obvious. But I paid only $40/bulb.

For what you already paid, and if you are already happy w/ your light, I don't think it's worth changing. D2R is fine as well.

Thanks for the advice but if I change bulbs to what you suggest, how will it affect my lighting? What will be the major change? I'm not sure if if would be worth changing, do you?

Last edited by zam2000; 11-17-2004 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
I too was wondering how a D2R reflector bulb was being used in a projector lamp. To my understading the D2R and D2S bulbs are not interchangeable. I believe they have different seats and bulb receiptors.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 11-17-2004 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I had the same thing happen to my E55 but it was the ignightor and not the bulb.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by zam2000
D2R is 2700-2800 Lumen (unit of brightness)
D2S is 3200-3400 Lumen

The Kelvin value actually have nothing to do with brighness, as the matter of fact, the higher you go, the less bright the light is.

To some, 15% difference in brightness is non signficant. I think it's rather the personal preference & weighting of cost & value.

However, when I changed light from D2R to D2S, the difference is quite obvious. But I paid only $40/bulb.

For what you already paid, and if you are already happy w/ your light, I don't think it's worth changing. D2R is fine as well.
Zam2000, thanks for you help. I think I'm going to get the D2S bulbs because after installing the Depot lights I have really lossed a lot of night vision. I was wondering where you paid $40 bucks for the DS2's? I also may change the lens out with Hella, do you know anything about that?
Mario
Old 01-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Almost a Member!

C 200
if you want i can help you getting the bulb japanese made bulb price USD 150/pair including shipping and of course price is negotiable
Old 07-10-2006, 01:30 AM

CLK 55 ///AMG Cabrio, ML63 ///AMG
How did they determine that?

Originally Posted by BlownV8
I had the same thing happen to my E55 but it was the ignightor and not the bulb.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:02 PM

2001 E-430 4-Matic

Hope this helps. My 2c.
Just a little advice - avoid ABC gum!!
Old 07-12-2006, 01:26 AM

CLK 55 ///AMG Cabrio, ML63 ///AMG
Thanks this post wasof GREAT ASSISTANCE. I had to do the gum thing as well.

I pulled the old bulb out tonight and found that it was broken - blown up somehow. Weird.

Anyway, I'll be looking for a "D2R" bulb.

Anyone know if there is a better option than a stock replacement?

Hope this helps. My 2c.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:06 AM

MY2004 E320
Originally Posted by newguy2008
Thanks this post wasof GREAT ASSISTANCE. I had to do the gum thing as well.

I pulled the old bulb out tonight and found that it was broken - blown up somehow. Weird.

Anyway, I'll be looking for a "D2R" bulb.

Anyone know if there is a better option than a stock replacement?

Hi I still have the MB OEM D2R (1 piece). You can have it for less than a third of what dealer charges since I traded my E420 for an ML320 and the ML does not have Xenons. Make me an offer to mobinakhtar@hotmail.com. I can take paypal.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
87 420sel, 91 560sec, 02 S55 AMG, 09 A4 3.2, 14 Outback, 12 Focus SE
Hi I still have the MB OEM D2R (1 piece). You can have it for less than a third of what dealer charges since I traded my E420 for an ML320 and the ML does not have Xenons. Make me an offer to mobinakhtar@hotmail.com. I can take paypal.
would this fit the stock bulb on my w211 e500? same color?