E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Electrical problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical problems

Hello I have an american 98 E320 and was wondering if someone could help me diagnose this problem i’m having, so my rear right taillight first worked but only the stand still lights then the standstill lights went out too with the brake light i’ve tried buying different bulbs and even switching them with the left side and still nothing i also just noticed the little circle light the one that turns on with the first click on the light switch also does not turn on with the side marker as well in the front. Anyone have an idea of what it could be ???
Old Today, 08:00 AM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,055 Likes on 976 Posts
1999 E300TD
I know you are frustrated but your post is somewhat confusing---------simply answer yes or no to the following questions
do your brake lights work
position 1 do lights turn on
position 2 do lights turn on
when in R do your lights turn on

Last edited by Plutoe; Today at 08:03 AM.
Old Today, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No
No
No
Yes
I also checked the fuses and they are good
fog light also does not work the only thing that works is the turn signal

Last edited by W210RAUL; Today at 01:51 PM.
Old Today, 05:16 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,055 Likes on 976 Posts
1999 E300TD
you should notice that all the lights that are switched on by the dash light controller do not work
your turn signals are controlled by the front SAM
your backup lights work because they are controlled by the gear recognition switch
the only odd issue is that your brake lights do not work---they are switched on by the brake switch not the dash light switch

What i would do first is check all the dash light switch positions---as an example meter the voltage at the socket for position one----do I have voltage or not then test the balance of the switch positions---do they have voltage or not-----if they dont have voltage you either have a faulty socket, bad ground or the switch is faulty bla bla

What are the test results and how long did it take to do the test then add one hour for my system and wiring diagram investigation that you would have had to do??????

and as you can see electrical issues such as yours takes system knowledge a wiring diagram, tools all resulting in loads of billable time at 150 an hour

Last edited by Plutoe; Today at 05:25 PM.
Old Today, 06:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
E320
It sounds like you might be dealing with a few potential issues, possibly stemming from a faulty ground connection, a short circuit, or a failing tail light assembly. Given the symptoms, especially with the rear right taillight and the front side marker light not functioning, it’s likely that there’s a break in the circuit or corrosion at the connector. Additionally, the failure of the little circle light indicates that the problem might be more systemic, possibly involving the SAM control module, that manages the lighting system. I recommend running a full system scan as soon as possible. There should be fault codes stored in one or more control modules related to your lighting issue. Look at both Front SAM and Rear SAM. If you're not comfortable diagnosing it yourself, a mechanic can help. However, if you want to tackle it on your own, consider getting a full system scanner, like the youcanic full system scanner, which is excellent for diagnosing all vehicle systems. Just make sure to use a comprehensive scanner; some only read limited systems, and that could leave you without valuable fault codes.