E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

How can I tell for sure if my transmission is going through all five gears

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday | 10:04 AM

1998 e320 4matic
How can I tell for sure if my transmission is going through all five gears

I've been having a hard time telling whether or not fifth gear is engaging. A couple months ago when the freeway was clear at night I was able to take the thing up to 123 no problem. I didn't even realize I was going that fast until I looked down at the speedometer. The car didn't vibrate or shut her at all. It was smooth it was quiet it was fast. Now I was trying to gun it down the freeway and today I noticed that pushing up towards 100 it seemed like it might have been struggling a little bit. I'm wondering if I'm no longer shifting into 5th gear because I've heard that sometimes is a problem with these cars but I don't know how to tell for sure. What kind of code reader can I hook up to see the gears changing if any? Where should I start troubleshooting? Sorry if there is already a more relevant sticky for this. I looked but I did not see anything.
Old Yesterday | 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
I would have figured that the tachometer provides this clue....or am I misunderstanding something here?
Old Yesterday | 02:36 PM

2000 E320
Shift it manually? Can it be that easy?

How fast your car goes, it all depending on condition the car is/are in, such as ambient temperature, road condition, uphill, downhill, flat road, etc etc.............................

Lastly, scan your car. Make sure you don't have any code, such as bad coil or trans problem.