E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Changing Rims - Strange Noise !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Rims - Strange Noise !

I have a wonderful 1998 E320, during the summer I have a set of OEM Sport rims (which makes the car handle great!) and Originally replaced the Continentals i had on the the original rims (Clue - Still using those lug bolts)
I was given a set of E430 rims (OEM RIMS) with blizzak's mounted on them
which I attemped to mount earlier this month.

The Issue :

When I mounted all the Rims (e430 rims w/Blizzak) the car did not want to move, It acted like the parking brake was stuck (it wasn't) I didnt force it
feeling something was wrong ??? I did notice that the little it did back up i made a clicking noise from the rear wheel area?

Question: Are the lug bolts too long? I should be able to mount these rims ??
right?

Thanks any help would be appreciated!

Henry
Old 12-10-2004, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Yes that clicking is the bolts being too long and catching on the park brake. Different wheels have different thicknesses and different hole depths as well as different shape of lug seats - and you need to be sure that's the right one you're using too, hence the length of bolt that fits one type of wheel may not fit another, eventho they're both OEM.

If the wheel came off a W210 E430, there is no reason why you can't use it on your car, like AMG wheels will fit regular cars- you just need a different bolt.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:01 PM

from my understanding , i have the 97 e320 and earlier models , u use the long lug bolts, i recenty changed to 2000 e430 rims 2 months ago..have nt had chance to post pics..but when u change to these e430 rims,,u would need the shorter lug bolts.
as whitey has eloquently explanied earlier..........
Old 02-01-2005, 01:00 PM

2000 Mercedes E320
how long should the lug bolts be?

I have a 2000 MB E320 with an 18" A/M rims. I know I need a shorter lug bolt, but how long???
Old 02-01-2005, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by Popsikel
I have a 2000 MB E320 with an 18" A/M rims. I know I need a shorter lug bolt, but how long???
I'm not sure the exact length but the best test is to get a standard wheel with an original bolt, pass the bolt through a hole in the OEM wheel and measure how much it protrudes through the other side of the wheel. Then pass one of your (longer) bolts thru the wheels you want (your AMG's) and measure how much more it protrudes than the OEM bolt in the OEM wheel above. It follows that the length you want is what u have currently less the excessive protrusion......I'm sure you get the logic.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:13 PM

I made the same mistake with wheels...

I bought a set of 19" Carlsson wheels for my E430, when I bought them I questioned the guy about instalation, fit, clearence and so forth. I was good to go, I was told. Couple weeks later I decided my stock tires were showing enough cords to do my swap. I bolted my wheels to my hubs and car wouldn't roll. Called the guy I bought them from, Ohh yeah, sorry dude. Walked 2 miles to HW Motorsports in Costa Mesa (great shop) picked up the short bolts afterhours and went back. I then found I had stripped the hubs on the passenger side of the car with the long bolts and the Carlsson wheels were not Hub Centric (a word I just learned) and I was riding 100% on the weakend bolts/hubs. Decided I didn't want to deal with hub rings and spacers and the extra parts, so I bought a set of Brabus wheels thinking Problem Solved. Turns out I bought a set of first generation wheels and we're back to the Same issue. I have 19" Carlssons 18" Brabus and my 17" Sport Chrome wheels and Not 1 set is drivable at the moment. I miss my Lexus LS400 Badly.