E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Depot light retro instructions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E430 Sport
Depot light retro instructions

I did the same thing as ZAM2000. I got the Audi RS6 BI-Xenon projectors. The way you do it is to use your old wiring harness from inside the light housing, if you have factory Xenon lights. Stick the new Depo lights in the over for like 5 min. Make sure to take off the rubber around the lights before you put them in the oven. Pull them out and carefully pry the glass off. you have to take the projector out, 4 screws. If you have the new Audi Rs6 projectors you cant just install. The holes don't match. You have to take the Depo projector apart. Take only the shiny chrome piece that looks like a cone with a bracket attached from both lights to a machine shop. Have then cut off the "cone", leaving you with only a flat bracket with a hole in the middle. Now you can attach the bracket to the RS6 housing by taking the glass off, 4 screws. The holes will match up now. Re install. DONE
Old 02-01-2005, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 & W210
pix ?
Old 02-01-2005, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
serious, post pics.........other guy did it but with no pics......
Old 02-01-2005, 08:49 PM

2000 E430 Sport
here is my new pic

LIKE IT.......... .
Old 02-02-2005, 10:35 AM

E320
OOOoo OOOOOOoo I wanna see........ so what with the bracket now? cut off the old mounting plate and attach to the new???? cant see the pics!

I am doing this right now waiting for second projector in the mail.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Told you so

Here's better news: I have a pair of <b>Audi</b> xenon projector coming soon, and yes, it's 90mm size, fit perfectly with the Depo shroud.

Probably ask E55Cent first, since I think w/ a good headlight, his car would be as perfect as it could get. Pass that, those who're interested, pls let me know.

Btw, have anyone hold up the Audi xenon projector against the Mercedes one (E55) ? The Mercedes one looks pity with the material and craftmanship. I guess they asked for the cheapest possible from Hella, and that's what they get.

Originally Posted by mike430sport
LIKE IT.......... .
Old 02-02-2005, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 154 Posts
99 E320
Z -
Good thing I'm behind on projects (too many house things going on). Just
now getting back to my own fun projects. I've been dilly dallying the retro-
fit of my Hella projos into the Depo. Went down to measure them and find
that the opening of the reflector is like 2.5 x 3" (not incl mounting flange).
Sounds like I should be buying a larger set...if I wanted an easier retrofit,
yes? I don't think I want to mess with bi- unless the benefits are really
worth it. I already have Blue Vision H7s in the other bowl. What's the
hot tip here, Z?

Hmm, I wonder if I can fit the smaller HIDs into the fog light housing? Pro-
bably has been tried and discarded by the knowledgeable, or would require
some replacement of wiring. Maybe I can make a nice pair or flashlights.

Trending Topics

Old 02-03-2005, 01:50 PM

E320
Originally Posted by OceanView
pix ?
I second that!
Old 02-04-2005, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Originally Posted by zam2000
Told you so

Here's better news: I have a pair of <b>Audi</b> xenon projector coming soon, and yes, it's 90mm size, fit perfectly with the Depo shroud.
Hummm...keep me posted when you get your hands on it, I got first dibs since Mario took the other pair You stll busy with the house? My shroud has fallen and can't get up
Old 02-07-2005, 01:29 PM

E320
Originally Posted by mike430sport
I did the same thing as ZAM2000. I got the Audi RS6 BI-Xenon projectors. The way you do it is to use your old wiring harness from inside the light housing, if you have factory Xenon lights. Stick the new Depo lights in the over for like 5 min. Make sure to take off the rubber around the lights before you put them in the oven. Pull them out and carefully pry the glass off. you have to take the projector out, 4 screws. If you have the new Audi Rs6 projectors you cant just install. The holes don't match. You have to take the Depo projector apart. Take only the shiny chrome piece that looks like a cone with a bracket attached from both lights to a machine shop. Have then cut off the "cone", leaving you with only a flat bracket with a hole in the middle. Now you can attach the bracket to the RS6 housing by taking the glass off, 4 screws. The holes will match up now. Re install. DONE
AH HAA! well saterday i couldnt wait to to test out this method and about 4-5 hourslater i was able to fit my RS6 bixenon into my depo headlight. Light is WAY more evenly projected and reaches out much farther I did one light (passenger) first for comparison will do the other this week.

l may want to switch to a more colorfull (blue/Purple) xenon projector so i will take offers for these please make note that the RS6 BiXenons headlights, Hid matsu****a (panasonic) ballasts, bulbs, and projectors will be included and completely retrofited all you would need to do is plug them in. I will also take offers including trade for regular depo headlights.

lets see

$385 depo's
$200 ballasts
$50.00 bulbs
$180.00 projectors
none of these include shipping charges or time invested PM me if interested

Last edited by Shane C; 02-07-2005 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Let me guess, you're gona do either the Honda S2000 or Acura TL one ? Way more color & wider beam ?

Gotta love those on the HIDForum huh ? Always give you idea to spend more cash. I was about to do that too, but then, I'm ....married

You can try to bend the shield a bit. That'll give it more purple.

Originally Posted by Shane C
AH HAA! well saterday i couldnt wait to to test out this method and about 4-5 hourslater i was able to fit my RS6 bixenon into my depo headlight. Light is WAY more evenly projected and reaches out much farther I did one light (passenger) first for comparison will do the other this week.

l may want to switch to a more colorfull (blue/Purple) xenon projector so i will take offers for these please make note that the RS6 BiXenons headlights, Hid matsu****a (panasonic) ballasts, bulbs, and projectors will be included and completely retrofited all you would need to do is plug them in. I will also take offers including trade for regular depo headlights.

lets see

$385 depo's
$200 ballasts
$50.00 bulbs
$180.00 projectors
none of these include shipping charges or time invested PM me if interested
Old 02-08-2005, 10:47 AM

E320
Originally Posted by zam2000
Let me guess, you're gona do either the Honda S2000 or Acura TL one ? Way more color & wider beam ?

Gotta love those on the HIDForum huh ? Always give you idea to spend more cash. I was about to do that too, but then, I'm ....married

You can try to bend the shield a bit. That'll give it more purple.

And then hella said let there be light!!!!!

ha ha yeah I know my wife is complaining about all my paypal charges. See what you started ZAM he he!

well to be honest not sure if Im willing to cough up enough dough for the TL's think they want like $250+ right now. to be honest i can do with out the bixenon since I am in the city so may go for something else i do have 1 a6 hella single xenon projector I will play around with it to see if i can wide'en the color band a bit more, tried to bend shield but not much adjustment with bixenon and washers sharpened the cutoff but no color change.

I will be posting pics for comparisson (depo w/ bent shield vs RS6) later this week since my laptop broke and i will have to upload pics at werk.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have an Audi single xenon projector, if you're interested, let me know. I know that with bi-xenon, you can't bend the shield that much (will cause the shield to stuck).

Since I just go for more brightness, color (purple) or cut-off is not really a big deal to me. I put a washer or two onto the <b>top</b>, and I got it more purple, but more importantly, way more light (I know a lot of people put washer onto bottom, but if you do a projectory of light beam, move the top half of the lens out a bit makes more sense, and my experiment validated that). Cut off is not as sharp, but boy oh boy, much more brightness and color.

Too bad you're in basketball hollyland Spur (my fav team), otherwise, we could just compare results of light experiment. I enjoy every bit of it of driving at night w/ the entire road lid up, and have had quite a few Bimmer and Benz chase up to my car to see how what sort of light I have on my car (some try to go w/ same speed to do comparision, and my project way way further ahead...)

And then hella said let there be light!!!!!

ha ha yeah I know my wife is complaining about all my paypal charges. See what you started ZAM he he!

well to be honest not sure if Im willing to cough up enough dough for the TL's think they want like $250+ right now. to be honest i can do with out the bixenon since I am in the city so may go for something else i do have 1 a6 hella single xenon projector I will play around with it to see if i can wide'en the color band a bit more, tried to bend shield but not much adjustment with bixenon and washers sharpened the cutoff but no color change.

I will be posting pics for comparisson (depo w/ bent shield vs RS6) later this week since my laptop broke and i will have to upload pics at werk.

Last edited by zam2000; 02-08-2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:35 AM

E320
yeah I think i'll pull it out and play with it a bit more as far as brightness I have no complaints they definately light up the road .do you have ece or dot set up

Last edited by Shane C; 02-08-2005 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:37 PM

E320
ok here i found a few pics

here is a pic of my depos (both) before i did any modification

depo halogen about 5-8 ft from garage
first pic

this is a pic of the rs6 projector (only 1) about 20 ft away

I will let the pictures speak for themselves!!!!!

Last edited by Shane C; 02-08-2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ECE :v :v

yeah I think i'll pull it out and play with it a bit more as far as brightness I have no complaints they definately light up the road .do you have ece or dot set up
Old 02-12-2005, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
Since I just go for more brightness, color (purple) or cut-off is not really a big deal to me. I put a washer or two onto the top, and I got it more purple, but more importantly, way more light (I know a lot of people put washer onto bottom, but if you do a projectory of light beam, move the top half of the lens out a bit makes more sense, and my experiment validated that). Cut off is not as sharp, but boy oh boy, much more brightness and color.
where does the washer go? top of what...