E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Does your E class get a lot of Attention

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sl55,E500 Db9
Does your E class get a lot of Attention

This may sound silly but sometimes mercedes benzs attract way to much wrong attention.Do you ever get jealous co-workers talking about your car or gold digging women or do you get treated better because you drive such a nice car.Today at work i was showing a picture of pre-owend E500 to this guy and he started talking about benzs are crap etc and that his (lifted ford truck) gets more girls So guys tell me your stories about your Eclass BTW i am 23 and parents are paying half shhhh also i hear a few rap songs that mention the Eclass benz.

Last edited by Noltonr; 03-05-2005 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by Noltonr
This may sound silly but sometimes mercedes benzs attract way to much wrong attention.Do you ever get jealous co-workers talking about your car or gold digging women or do you get treated better because you drive such a nice car.Today at work i was showing a picture of pre-owend E500 to this guy and he started talking about benzs are crap etc and that his (lifted ford truck) gets more girls So guys tell me your stories about your Eclass BTW i am 23 and parents are paying half shhhh also i hear a few rap songs that mention the Eclass benz.
You cant be serious. I drive an E55 and none of this comes up. It all has to do with the type of people you surround yourself with. I am 26 and while I am around many car enthusiasts, I dont surround myself, or even allow myself to get into conversations with moneyhungry women or jealous people.
I suggest you put yoruself in better company.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:10 PM

2004 E320, 2004 Lexus GX470
You'll always get some snide remarks regardless of your company. I recently competed my residency and I purchased my E last summer as a small reward to myself. A couple older attendings made some remarks but they have just as nice cars - probably nicer! They're mostly joking b/c almost everyone can afford what they drive and more.

ThemisN, You're even younger than me and have a georgous car so some folks just can't disregard that old-fashioned thinking that younger people can't comfortably afford a luxury car. Nolton, if you're really getting hated on, do as ThemisN says. Envy or petty jealousness isn't a becoming trait in people. Just do you!

p.s. Oh, I do get lotsa waves from ladies, dimes, chicks, whatever you call them. I like that attention.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:10 PM

'16 528i MSport
I'm 21 and I get the mistaken identity. A couple of times, usually at restaurants and at work, people have come up to me to ask me if I was a salesman...Asking me for a card and a test-drive. But when I'm not suited up and am just cruising around, I get stares, not bad ones, usually cute chicks and milfs...hahaha....
Old 03-05-2005, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Always positive looks, and revving engines beside me.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:33 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Hmmm. Could the "E55" and "AMG" badging have anything to do with the revving engines alongside?

Can't say that anybody has tried to choose off my E500, or even that anybody casts lustful/longing gazes at it - or at me while in it, for that matter. At my age - a whole older than 21 or 26 - I tend to think of automotive "attention" as something that leads to traffic tickets, or theft, or vandalism, not babes, and so I don't see "attention" while driving as anything particularly desirable.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:42 PM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Unless you are a car nut and know what AMG stands for, everyone just thinks you are a regular E class. That is what I like about my car, its a sleeper
Old 03-05-2005, 11:51 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Tonight I was at a light and a cab driver asked me to roll down my window, he said, "Nice car, is that RWD?." He said, "What a great looking car.. So that is one side..

The other side.. Some people are really turned off to it.. Who? A few of the girls I know.. They would rather be in my sunfire (2 have said this). I have no idea why..
Old 03-06-2005, 03:06 AM
adx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Surprisingly not. People look at my car as just another MB.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:52 AM

Mercedes all the way!
when i'm in my hometown in malaysia, you do get quite a bit of attention with the W211 -- understand that this is not KL or even any of the cities, but a small place of about 100,000.

there are always one or two souped up tiny cars wanting to race (with their 0.85 litre engines!! lol!), but it does mean i can park anywhere without anyone asking questions. i quite often go to parties or dinners, though, and get people telling me how nice and sexy (exact language used depending on age range :P) the car is. which is something that has never happened with any other car before.

the fact that i'm only driving an E240 makes it all rather laughable
Old 03-06-2005, 12:35 PM

I love the attention that it gets from everyone. MB has truly created an image of luxury and so many people tell me that a benz is their dream car.

I am also younger (bought the car at 27) and sometimes hear similar comments (especailly when I am traveling into the hick towns and you should see the looks in Amish country) but I never apologize for having money. As a matter of fact one of the best compliments I received in a very F***ed up way is when someone keyed my car. That person was so jealous about the car that they did damage to it. LOVE IT with the exception of the damage. (Yes I know I am )

Anyway, don't worry about what the peasants say...Mercedes people are above that :p
Old 03-06-2005, 03:14 PM

E55 & RX300
MB's will get noticed and it's one of the appeals of the car. Most folks have no clue what an AMG is unless they're an enthusiast like you.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:21 PM

2003 E-500
There are more BMW's and MB's here in Orange County, I believe, than there are Ford's and Chevrolet's so I don't get much attention with it here. However, when I drive it to Colorado or New Mexico, it is more of an attention getter.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's only rarely that I get any looks (positive or negative) and when I do

I ignore it as if its not happening. I don't want anyone to think I that I'm a big shot driving an E500 because I'm not. I don't drive an MB for the star on the hood. I drive it for the performance, design, and German engineering. It's as simple as that. I drive German-made cars; I buy Japanese-made consumer electronics; and I wear American-made clothing. I really try to downplay that car as much as possible and I always change the subject with co-workers or in-laws, etc. when I feel a conversation about it is going in the wrong direction (i.e. Gee, Mike, you spent a lot of money on that car didn't you...) As I approach my 1 year anniversary with it, I think that will subside a lot anyway. A co-worker of mine got a 2000 740i brand new and I remember he took a lot of sh*t for it. Now, you forget that he even has it.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
I totally understand where you are coming from. I also think that this feeling you might be having is partially due to the fact that you stated; your parents helped you when you bought the car. However, don't let your luck or fortune stop you from enjoying a great car. At the same time, just remember that some of you acquaintances will remember what car you have now and what you will buy to replace it. If you buy a lesser model, then they might laugh at you even more. In any case, this might be reason enough to surround your self with a different group of people.

I am 31 and I have personally had Mercedes cars for the last 10 years. I also grew up driving many high-end cars that were my family’s fleet. I did sometimes get comments about driving a 560 SEL when I was 16 & 17, but I immediately said that it was not my car and that was the end of it. But, when I bought my first Mercedes I was very proud of the fact that I could buy the kind of car I loved and I was even prouder that I paid for it all myself. Now that I am on my 3rd Mercedes (that I bought) I really could care less what people say.

However, discretion is a great thing and that is why I still have my Audi that I choose to drive when I don't want to have attention drawn to me. So, when I go and teach Social Linguistics and how to get around in a professional world to people who are on parole, I drive the Audi if I can. I have never gotten any comments when I drove my Mercedes, but I still like driving my lower profile car.

There will come a time when you will not let other people's comments about your consumption choices influence your conscience or make you feel bad. I almost think I have gotten there.

Steve
Old 03-06-2005, 11:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
I get a lot of dirty looks mostly from white people. A lot of them stare at me like "where did he steal that car from". It's mostly on the weekends since I'm dressed casually, which for me is mostly made up of hip-hop labels.

During the week when I'm dressed for work I don't get any "weird" looks. Some people are so obvious it makes me sick. If you're going to hate on someone for driving a nice car at least have the class not to make the feeling so obvious by standing and staring with your mouth open.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:27 PM

2010 C300, 2005 E500, 2000 S430
Not too many MB's in my part of San Antonio. I usually see extremes in attention: either someone looking at me like I'm an a**hole just for driving a MB or someone saying 'that's an awesome car' or something to that effect. They're just whips to me and I work hard for them so as long as I get my enjoyment I can block attention whether its good or bad.

Oh yeah, clean cars get more attention. My S is always dirty. Always. I may clean it 3 times per year. The E class is new thus I keep it very clean. I believe that gets more attention.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:48 PM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
Originally Posted by Samoan_Ridah
I get a lot of dirty looks mostly from white people. A lot of them stare at me like "where did he steal that car from". It's mostly on the weekends since I'm dressed casually, which for me is mostly made up of hip-hop labels.

During the week when I'm dressed for work I don't get any "weird" looks. Some people are so obvious it makes me sick. If you're going to hate on someone for driving a nice car at least have the class not to make the feeling so obvious by standing and staring with your mouth open.
Stereotyping people is still alive and well, very sad. Too bad we can not all learn to be more accepting of each other and less prejudiced.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:08 AM
Almost a Member!

06 E350 Wagon, 05 MINI Cooper S Convertible
I live in Germany...no one cares! I got a lot more attention in my Suburban.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
No attention to Benz in SFBA, since there are so many high tech companies, including google and Oracle, so everone is driving S class. It's sort of boring to see so many MBs. E class is mostly girl friends/wives car there. You should drive some exotic car to get any attention.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:37 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Originally Posted by Samoan_Ridah
I get a lot of dirty looks mostly from white people. A lot of them stare at me like "where did he steal that car from".
Kinda' pathetic that people do that to you.. Just ignore them.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Well where I live I see more E-classes (let alone C-classes) than camrys. So from that standpoint, it isnt a big deal. I'm 23, so my friends oggle over it, but they are still worried about the coolest clubs and parties to go to more than how they are going to pay for food this week.. (up to age 30 actually).

But every now and then I get comments from people at gas stations, restaurants, etc. but my car is modded a bit while most aren't. Everyone calls me "sir" at drive-thru's, even Del Taco..

I think maybe 3 or 4 people have rolled down their windows to actually make a comment since I bought the car. If I drive in a slow metro area, people check it out, probably just for the wheels, maybe pano roof. But really, car is pretty under the radar around here.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Just this morning I just got a dirty look from a middle-aged guy driving a C240. I mean, his car is nice too so to me there shouldn't even be a reason to hate. It's always the same look, a cross between shock and anger. And you know that I'm not just imagining it since the stare usually lasts for more than 5 seconds.

I'm going to start carrying a watergun around so I can roll down my window and squirt them next time I get one of those looks.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Not for nothing, IMHO I have noticed that for the most part Lexus & Cadillac drivers look over with a sense of envy and BMW drivers look over with a sense of determination to prove something. I single these brands out only because these are the drivers who make it most known that they “are looking”. For the record I’m not looking to start a war here, micromanage the pros and cons of each, just reporting what I see – at least here in Scottsdale (age usually runs from just getting their license yesterday to those who walked with the dinosaurs).
Old 03-07-2005, 06:58 PM

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
I'm actually somewhat surprised at the lack of attention I get. My car is somewhat modded, but not by alot. I have bigger wheels, lowered and put exhaust on it. I drive more agressive then your average driver, but still don't seem to attract too much attention. Must be the child's car seat in the back.

There are a lot of E-Classes in the SF Bay Area, but there is a lot of everything. There are also a lot of Porsches in the Bay, but I still get way more looks in the 993.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Does your E class get a lot of Attention