E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

CDI Oil Leaks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 01:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
CDI Oil Leaks?

Well, it's been quite a week. I have had my CDI in this country for about a month and a half, and I already have two tales of woe.

One can't be laid at the feet of Mercedes-Benz, namely one of my best friends backing into my CDI as we left a lunch appointment. It's not too bad, and at least I gave "first blood" to a friend.

The more ominous development was the small puddle of oil I found on my garage floor last weekend when I took the car out to wash it. It wasn't a large amount, but I got underneath, and there was definitely a leak of some sort from the rear of the engine compartment. It looked brown, and didn't smell like much of anything, so I'm thinking it was motor oil.

Have any other CDI owners had leaks show up? I've heard that these engines do not tolerate overfilling well. I'm wondering whether someone put too much in and caused me to blow a seal.

I thought my one "free service" visit would mainly be confined to addressing little noisy things, but I suppose it's better to find this out earlier rather than later.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 320CDI Wagon ī03
Donīt forget to check for an diesel leak. I am having the same problem with my CDI and this same morning visited MB and the technician suggested that, may be coming from the pump...(in two or three days I will have mine back and will give you the real answer)
In the meantime enjoy your wonderful car
Old 03-09-2005, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by spainwagon
Donīt forget to check for an diesel leak. I am having the same problem with my CDI and this same morning visited MB and the technician suggested that, may be coming from the pump...(in two or three days I will have mine back and will give you the real answer)
In the meantime enjoy your wonderful car
Hi Spainwagon,
I am very interested in why you have mentioned looking for a diesel leak? I am asking this question because a number of UK 320 and 270CDI's have had fuel leaks, so I am interested in what you might have heard.

Congratulations on your excellent English,
John
Old 03-09-2005, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
Hola Spainwagon, como estas.

Enough Sapnish for now I'm afraid although I'd better practice as I'm going to madrid for Semana Santa.

My W211 E320 CDI has had 4 cases of diesel leaks in 2 years. I've had the high pressure pump at the front of the engine changed twice and various clips replaced. My dad's car has just come back from the garage after springing another leak so it looks like it's a common problem. I know that they were using cheap clips on the fuel lines as I've had mine replaced now and it has been ok for a while now.
After having all these problems I still love the car so it can't be all bad.

Hi John
Old 03-09-2005, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by marcos
Hi John
Hi Marcos,
May Day, May Day, May Day..... Get over to the other forum, us poor 211 owners are receiving a lot of incoming. Pesky 'knockers'.

Take care,
John
Old 03-09-2005, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
If I can scrape enough money together for the CLS I'll be free of these diesel leak problems
Old 03-11-2005, 11:10 AM

E 320CDI Wagon ī03
Originally Posted by glojo
Hi Spainwagon,
I am very interested in why you have mentioned looking for a diesel leak? I am asking this question because a number of UK 320 and 270CDI's have had fuel leaks, so I am interested in what you might have heard.

Congratulations on your excellent English,
John
Hi John, I just visited the dealer and told them about the dirt in my garage. As the mechanic chief was driving my car because of other minor problems he just told me..."that must be a gasoil (diesel) leak" -How can you know that?? -Oh its quite esasy, before entry in your car I noticed a little diesel smell, we will check in the garage but probably it will be a loose clip ...

That is all I know at the moment, I am leaving tomorrow to London (by plane of course) and leaving the car in the garage before that so at the end of the week, once back from your country I will know for sure.

Greetings from a Spaniard (you know those europeans that spend all their lives trying to learn english...and never acompish)

Marcos Thanks for your greenting in spanish.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by spainwagon
Hi John, I just visited the dealer and told them about the dirt in my garage. As the mechanic chief was driving my car because of other minor problems he just told me..."that must be a gasoil (diesel) leak" -How can you know that?? -Oh its quite esasy, before entry in your car I noticed a little diesel smell, we will check in the garage but probably it will be a loose clip ...
Hi Spainwagon,
Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to respond, and your symptoms sound very similar to the problem a number of UK vehicles are experiencing. It is certainly 'nothing serious' (although to me any fuel leak is serious). From what I understand it is a cheap joint at the low pressure fuel side and diesel might gently ooze out.

I am playing this issue down but if I were totally honest I would definitely NOT be a happy bunny if it were my vehicle.

320CDI estate cars are not very common on this forum, what colour is yours, and iwhat model is it (Elegance or Avantgarde)?

Good luck with your trip to London,

Take care,
John
Old 03-11-2005, 12:53 PM

E 320CDI Wagon ī03
Hello John,
mine is Avantgarde in Teallite Blue with the interior in black leather, I will try to post some photos in the near future. I know the estate is not a very common car in this forum but what itīs worst (or better) itīs a very uncommon car in Spain, I donīt think in Madrid there are more than 20 units.
Regards
Guillermo
Old 03-24-2005, 06:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Well, I got my car back. In case anyone is wondering, the oil leak was due to the oil pressure sender.

I thank the folks on this board for giving me the information necessary to check the "real" oil level, as opposed to just knowing it was "OK."

The body repairs look quite good, except for a very small clearcoat drip that they're going to wetsand out when I have time to bring it back by. The finish work looks good on the panel, though I admit I haven't taken it out into the sun to compare it with the others.

It does appeat that I picked up a set of shallow hood scratches during this visit. I'm wondering if someone briefly used my hood as a shelf for something. The good thing about doing one's own polishing, etc. is that your car looks nice. The bad thing is that it allows you to become acutely aware of every blemish.