E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

GS testdrive report

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 VW Passat variant
I've tried both the Acura TL and the RL. TL has touchscreen for manual navigation input, RL uses a dial. But both are also very, very good with voice input for navigation, radio, climate control.

That's where the technology is going. Keep your hands on the wheel, punch a little button, and talk to your car.

In both the forms I've seen, Acura has the best navigation system around. Real-time traffic info in the RL too.

In contrast, the MB spell-things-out system feels really antique.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:10 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
M-B vs. Lexus is not Patek vs. Timex.

That is a ridiculous analogy.

Your Patek Philippe breaks down - no big deal. I haven't had to bring in any of my automatic watches for unscheduled services either.

Artistry? The W211 is a taxicab in a lot of places. It's a nice car and I enjoy it very much but it is not analagous to a Patek. It does have more badge status than the Lexus if that is important to you.

IMO the W211 is more like a Rolex. You definitely pay a premium for the label. Having said that - my next watch may be a stainless Daytona.

Have you ever sat in a Lexus? Certainly more luxurious than a Timex-level car would be.

I'd trade the interior of the SC430 with my W211 interior any day.

I'm lucky enough to have a M-B and a Lexus right now - and my next car will most likely be another Lexus. It will definitely not be another M-B unless a killer deal falls in my lap for an SL55 or E55.

Last edited by lig; 03-13-2005 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
yes lig, thank you. i do not have a lexus at the moment, but i used to have an LS430 and an LX470 (as my other posts in the forum would tell you). and you have to admit, the W211 is a piece of art compared to a GS. i've seen plenty of W211 taxicabs, and i can tell you there're a lot of happy taxi drivers out there. and harrod's chauffers (am i spelling this correctly?). and hotel drivers.

when your patek philippe breaks down it's no big deal? i seriously doubt it. the bills make very interesting reading. and i've most definitely brought mine in for unscheduled servicing before. i don't understand the details of what went wrong, but there you have it.

it's not the luxuriousness that's in question though -- it never was. it's the design. who leads the pack and who copies? look at a nice timex higher up the range. why are they nice? because they look like something else. there you have it.

yes and i do like the SC's interior as well -- very luxurious indeed. but if you're talking about the genius of the design, the W211 wins, for me. any day. put slabs of thick wood and leather and you have a luxurious, well-built ****pit. but you don't need any talent to create that. just a budget.

my watch at the moment is a Seiko Arctura btw blends design, pinpoint accuracy, and the convenience of an automatic. now if someone could please wake up and create a car like that...
Old 03-13-2005, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
why the hell does c*ckpit get censored? heh heh, makes me laugh thinking about a "c*ck pit"
Old 03-13-2005, 08:11 PM

05 CLK 320
I test drove the GS430 and M45 back to back, I give the Lexus GS430 an evolutionary rating and the M45 a revolutionary rating, I still think the GS430 is way behind the E-Class, I don’t think it is anything out of the ordinary, the steering response was not fun. The body roll from the old GS 430 has improved but still has a way to go before catching up with the E-500 and the 5 series.

The most retarded thing on the GS430 was a maintenance program in the navigation system, everything in that stupid thing has to be entered manually, I mean seriously WTF, are they still in the 1990's. The maintenance guys enters whatever values they have then the decay on those value is on a linear way rather than in real time, that has to be the most retarded feature I have seen on a car.

If anything M45 takes the GS430 and gang rapes it on every level except use of cheap plastics in certain area's of the car. The steering response on M45 seems a little confusing but needs a little work to get used to, the brakes were incredible on the M45.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:06 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Originally Posted by ruykava
why the hell does c*ckpit get censored? heh heh, makes me laugh thinking about a "c*ck pit"
****PIT! :LOL:

I must admit the W211 is a lot better looking than any GS. For some reason every GS to me hasn't looked quite right. I think the W211 is a damn fine looking sedan but right now the only M-B that really strikes me as artful is the SL. I don't care that much for the SLK or even the SLR. If I had some real money I'd love a CLK-GTR.

Right now I don't think there is any Lexus that is really strikingly beautiful - to me the SC430 looks like an egg but my wife really wants one.

I do think the interior of that SC is killer though...