E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Daytime Running Lamps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E-500
Arrow Daytime Running Lamps

Cannot locate any discussion on this issue and would appreciate comment. My E was set to turn on the "Daytime Running Lamps". Do statistics support that it is beneficial to drive with the Running Lamps on? Glad to leave them on, but would like to know if it helps or just makes you different from most on the road. (this only applies to USA based vehicles)

Curious in San Francisco

Last edited by larryssf; 03-15-2005 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
17 E220D, 11 E350 CDI(sold), 06 CLS320 CDI (sold), 05 Cadillac DeVille (gone), 04 E320 CDI (sold)
An Australian summary of the worldwide research

https://www.atsb.gov.au/road/res-exec/cr218ex.cfm

Last edited by johna1; 03-14-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:37 PM

2005 E-500
Another Expamle of the Value of This Forum

Johna1:

Thanks for the link to the study. Not conclusive, but sufficent for me to leave the DRL's on.

Thanks very much.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:52 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
All new cars here in Canada have to have DRL and it works. It is amazing how many people forget to turn their lights on, that never happens with new cars here. At least the daytimes are on. Also, when cars are approaching in the daytime, you seem to notice them the light and react.

A good example is this. If I am driving straight ahead and my lights are on (in the daytime) and there is a guy taking a left, he will wait until I pass. Same car, same intersection with the lights off, I will have people taking the left in front of me and I have to brake. This is when I realize, "Oh I need to turn my lights on".
Old 03-14-2005, 11:45 PM

2003 E-500
On many of our mountain roads here in Southern California, ljeadights are required during the day so I'm pleased to have the DRL's on my E-500. They also make a difference on roads that are hilly and when you have limited visibility. A new law in CA will require you to have your headlights on whenever it rains. Florida has had such a law for many years; however, I'm not sure if DRL's will meet the requirement as the taillights are not on with the DRL's. Would be nice to hear from a Florida board member on this concern.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:17 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
I do a good bit of 60 mph travel on 2-lane roads, so I leave mine on; and the US insurance industry must believe in them: surprisingly USAA gives me a $6 credit semi-annually on each of our 3 cars because of DRL. That's about as much as it gives for any of the other credits (alarm, etc.).
Old 03-15-2005, 11:18 AM

How do EU countries deal with the issue of daytime running lights?

The European Commission is leading the campaign to find a uniform solution to daytime running lights throughout the EU. Initiated by the EU, a Europe-wide study of daytime running lights will be completed in 2004. Until that time, the approach to daytime running lights is a matter for the individual member states.

The following list summarizes the current situation (October 2002, with no claim for completeness or accuracy):

Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia, Hungary, Slovenia and Italy
In these countries, drivers must use dipped headlights all year round.

Lithuania, Poland, Czech Republic and the Slowak Republic
Dipped headlights are mandatory only in the winter half year.

Switzerland and Turkey
Driving with dipped headlights is officially advised during daylight. This will probably become mandatory.

Germany, France, Austria and Rumania
Drivers decide whether to use dipped headlights during the daytime.

Greece
The highway codes in these two countries prohibit daytime use of driving lights in built-up areas.

Portugal
On main roads, drivers must use dipped-beam headlights year round.