E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Trailer hitch / Bike hitch (revisited, again)..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BUMP from the past do you have pics of what the bike holder looks like installed w/ the bikes on?
Old 05-21-2008, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Iceman
Anbody have any ideas on how much an E500 will actually tow? It has the power but will the suspension and transmission actually hold up to towing a mid-sized boat or a light car?
The tow hitch weight should be within certain limits irrespectively of the full weight of the trailer, the trailer load should be mostly balanced. E500 would have Airmatic which is ideal for towing, the rear of the car would maintain the correct level for any tow hitch load.

This is for the factory Euro hitch, you should not expect the same from US options (that I've seen) but it would indicate what the car is able to tow. Did you expect 2100 kg?

Saloon

Anchorage points for the trailer tow hitch
Anchorage points Overhang dimension For trailer tow hitches fitted at the factory, the overhang dimension is 1,234 mm.
Estate

Anchorage points for the trailer tow hitch
Anchorage points Overhang dimension For trailer tow hitches fitted at the factory, the overhang dimension is 1,264.5 mm.

Trailer loads

All models(The E 63 AMG model cannot be used to tow a trailer.)

Permissible trailer load, braked
(At a minimum gradient-climbing capability of 12 % from a standstill)
Saloon
1,900 kg
Estate
Vehicles with manual transmission
Vehicles with automatic transmission*

1,900 kg
2,100 kg
Permissible trailer load, unbraked
Saloon
750 kg
Estate
750 kg
Maximum drawbar noseweight
(The drawbar noseweight is not included in the trailer load.)
Saloon
76 kg
Estate
84 kg
Old 11-26-2013, 10:25 PM

2011 350 Sedan
I just ordered and installed a Bosal Hidden Hitch

So I just ordered this Euro Hidden Hitch made by Bosal model 049-083 notc heap but worth the money. When the tow bar is removed nothing is visible.Trying to post pictures asap

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/mercedes-e-class-saloon-05-2009-on-bosal-detachable-towbar.html

I didn't want to get into removing the bumper so I had it installed by a local trailer shop, off coarse they huffed and puffed about installing a euro hitch. But hey get over it buddy it is a euro car lol.

Installed on a E350 2011 Sport with no issues. Fits perfect.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:39 PM

2007 E350 > 2007 Honda Odyssey>2006 Porsche 911 S
thank you for providing this post with pictures

Originally Posted by Miguk_Saram
OK guys (& gals?),

So I took the proverbial "plunge": I purchased the Curt hitch and did the install myself. Following are the details:

Getting the hitch:
  • ordered hitch online, through truckxpressions .com. No frills here, everything was pretty straight-forward.
  • received hitch in about 1 week. The hitch was shipped straight from the manufacturer and arrived loosely packed.. and I mean LOOSELY packed! Huge box with no padding at all.
  • I carefully inspected the hitch before mounting it and realized that the receiver (the square tube where you would attach [in my case] the bike rack) was not perpendicular to the frame (it was about 2 degrees off), so I called truckXpressions the next day to address the issue and determine whether there would be a significant impact when a bike rack was attached (bikes rubbing against the car, attachments swaying to one side, etc.).

I explained my concerns to the gentlemen on the phone and after about 10 minutes of his not-so-customer-friendly attitude he instructed ME to contact the manufacturer and voice my complaint to them, which I did. The manufacturer, CURT, quickly agreed to replace the 'defective' hitch, but asked that I contact the distributor (truckXpressions) to process the return.. anyway, to make a long story short, truckXpressions was not very receptive to my concerns, but after speeking with CURT Manufacturing they arranged for a replacement without further adue. 1 week later, I had my replacement hitch.

Installation
  • First, keep in mind, I am sooooo not mechanically inclined.
  • Installation took about 45 minutes, but I suppose that if you have a proper lift and better tools it would take considerably less time. The hitch itself weighs about 25 pounds, so it wasn't very difficult to maneauver into place and fasten with one hand.

Tools needed: ratchet w/ 10mm and 5/16" attachments + extension

The instructions call for removing the rear bumper, but I successfully managed to install the hitch w/out removing it (I'm not that adventureous). It attaches to the bumper tubes with 4 u-bolts (2 on each side).

The install feels very sturdy, however, if your planning on actually towing something, the instructions call for drilling into the trunk-well (which I did not do) and fastening two additional bolts.

Pictures:

The following couple of posts provide pictures.

If anyone would like to see a different angle, or something more specific, let me know, and I'll take some more shots. I'll also provide more shots once I mount the bike rack (this weekend?), if there is any interest.

So.. comments? Is she a keeper?
Definitely a keeper. Nice and clean install. I'm going to attempt the same install next week-end. Any last minute advise or checklist? It seems straight forward installation. Do you have picture of a platform bike carrier installed on your car? I recently purchased a KUAT Sherpa 2.0 bicycle carrier to mate with my hitch.