E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Trailer hitch / Bike hitch (revisited, again)..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 08:49 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Trailer hitch / Bike hitch (revisited, again)..

Ok..

So I did a search on "Trailer hitch" (because I am still searching for a suitable OEM hitch for my bikes) and came across this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82414&highlight=trailer+hitch

which makes reference to a "retractable trailer coupling" (ooh, catchy name!).

Other threads indicate that there is no OEM trailer hitch for the w211, but I swear I saw one on a schematic posted on this board before; I think it was on that "E-classe Interactive" german site that had the online [english] manual.. which someone converted to a PDF doc.

Does anyone have a part number (and pics) of this elusive, phantom hitch? Where can I get it?
Old 03-23-2005, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E-500
Question Hitching a ride

I would be very interested in any information regarding the ability to add a trailer hitch to a E class. The use of a roof rack or truck rack is not acceptable due to potential body damage and ease of use. The hitch, of course "must" not interfer with the look of the E class. With the good weather getting near, I would like to be able to transport my bikes again.

Please share anything you discover regarding the hitch. I have tried in the past and the only information was regarding the standard OEM MB system on the roof.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist. :p
Old 03-23-2005, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
The only hitch I have found for the W211 sedan is: http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp...s-Benz&t1=&h=e

Jim
Old 03-23-2005, 07:20 PM

Me:04 E320 Pewter:Wife:04 E320 White
Hitch

Here is a hitch for 2003-2005...have on my car to haul my bikes around. It works absolutely great with a hitch bike rack.

http://www.cartserver.com/sc/cart.cgi

Jeff
Old 03-23-2005, 07:22 PM

Link did not work...use this one and go to pull down menu.

http://www.truckxpressions.com/truck...ies/curt01.htm
Old 03-23-2005, 07:25 PM

Link did not work...use this one and go to pull down menu. You want the Curt Hitch model #11701...cost is about $175.

http://www.truckxpressions.com/truck...ies/curt01.htm
Old 03-24-2005, 03:24 AM

2005 E-500
Hitching

JimPurdy/MB4Fun: Thanks for the links to the hitches for the bike rack. These are stated to be "easy" to attach using bolting points on the exisiting frame. As I am not that handy, have you heard of anyone (including a dealership) willing to install, along with the sale of the rack itself? It would be worth it to me.

Curious in San Francisco...
Old 03-24-2005, 11:36 AM

'07 GL450
Eureka?

Ok.. (before this thread dies and goes back into oblivion)

Eureka. <-- notice the lack of an exclamation mark.

Found this thread to the "Interactive Manual" discussion and a link to the PDF owner's manual:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82090&page=2&pp=10

if you look at the .PDF and go to [Technical Data, page 472; 450 on the .PDF), there's a schematic with info on the trailer hitch 'retrofit'.

With that said, I ask the following:
  1. Does anyone have this option on their 'saloon' or 'estate'? If so,
    1. would you be a kind fellow and post some photo graphs?
    2. is your vehicle a 4matic, or a standard model?
    3. did you order your vehicle with the hitch, or was it a retrofit?
    4. do you have any additional information about this hitch
  2. How does it compare (if at all) to the non-OEM options outlined within this thread
  3. Does this thing accept attachments (eg. bike hitch), or is it strictly a ball hitch for trailers?
  4. What is the part number for this contraption?
Finally, Steve & Scorchie, you guys take things apart all the time.. what's the real story behind this hitch? What would be the cost? Can you 'hook a brother up', literally (or by providing the parts)?
Old 03-24-2005, 12:45 PM

The hitch I referred you to takes 4 bolts and can be installed in 5 minutes. There is nothing to it. Any local gas station would do it for you.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:31 PM

'07 GL450
I'm curious/concerned about the overall appearance (aesthetics), the fit/install (parallel to the ground vs. angled) and the ground clearance. Does the Curt hitch look anything like the thumbnail on their site?

For those who have purchased a non-OEM hitch, are you satisfied with your purchase? How would you rate it (quality, appearance, ease of use, ease of finding a decent bike attachment that'll work with it, etc.)?

If possible, please post pics of the installed hitch (on a w211) from various angles with and without a bike attachment. Install pics would also be appreciated (although it sounds pretty self explanatory).

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
I have a 4 X 8 utility trailer that I usually pull with my Audi. It would be nice to have the stronger Mercedes to pull it over the mountain passes, but before I even consider installing a hitch on my Benz, I would really like it if whoever takes the plunge and installs it can post pictures of it.

I know that all the Es are very good for towing. They are actually rated for towing quite heavy loads (with trailer brakes). I always thought that it was the usual liability scare that makes MBUSA not recommend any towing with the E class here. If you go to Germany, you will see W211s towing huge trailers and those are the E 220 CDIs or the E200 Ks.

So, if anyone can post pictures, I would like to see how it looks. Also, I guess no one is planning to hook up lights, but I would want to do that too. I know that there is a special adapter that will not make the electronics on the car go crazy due to the different power draw, but I really don't feel like being the tester on this one.

Any pics and info would be great!

Steve
Old 03-25-2005, 09:56 AM

2003 E500, 1998 Ferrari Spider
Towing Rig??

Hmm. An E-500 towing utility vehicle. Is it itime to get rid of my Dodge Diesel towing rig??

Trailer hitch / Bike hitch (revisited, again)..-1998fcar03.jpg

Trailer hitch / Bike hitch (revisited, again)..-1998fcar04.jpg
Old 04-01-2005, 01:09 PM

'07 GL450
End of the line.. (Eureka!!)

Ok!

So my research paid off. Not only did I find the manufacturer of the hitch, but their website has a nifty little video demonstrating its operation.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it'll satisfy my needs nor those of my fellow cyclists; but, as a matter of closure on this topic, here's the info:

Manufacturer: ORIS
Product name: ORIS-matic
Product video: http://www.oris-gmbh.de/english/mpeg/oris_matic.html#

I think I'll go with the Curt hitch, but I need to look at the underside of my baby first, I want to understand how it attaches. Once, and if I get it, I'll try to post pics of the install as well as the appearance.

For now, I'm off to find a suitable hitch mounted bike rack. Any suggestions? I kinda like the new ML hitch. It folds - for easy access to the trunk without having to take the bikes down!

http://www.mbusa.com/byo/pop_accessories.jsp?code=a5060&model=ML500
http://www.mbusa.com/byo/pop_accessories.jsp?code=a5087&model=ML500
Old 04-04-2005, 04:40 PM

many
try to get OE hitch. I saw it on my friends car and it is great. The release lever is inside of trunk.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:35 AM

'07 GL450
Trailer hitch / Bike hitch (installed)..

OK guys (& gals?),

So I took the proverbial "plunge": I purchased the Curt hitch and did the install myself. Following are the details:

Getting the hitch:
  • ordered hitch online, through truckxpressions .com. No frills here, everything was pretty straight-forward.
  • received hitch in about 1 week. The hitch was shipped straight from the manufacturer and arrived loosely packed.. and I mean LOOSELY packed! Huge box with no padding at all.
  • I carefully inspected the hitch before mounting it and realized that the receiver (the square tube where you would attach [in my case] the bike rack) was not perpendicular to the frame (it was about 2 degrees off), so I called truckXpressions the next day to address the issue and determine whether there would be a significant impact when a bike rack was attached (bikes rubbing against the car, attachments swaying to one side, etc.).

I explained my concerns to the gentlemen on the phone and after about 10 minutes of his not-so-customer-friendly attitude he instructed ME to contact the manufacturer and voice my complaint to them, which I did. The manufacturer, CURT, quickly agreed to replace the 'defective' hitch, but asked that I contact the distributor (truckXpressions) to process the return.. anyway, to make a long story short, truckXpressions was not very receptive to my concerns, but after speeking with CURT Manufacturing they arranged for a replacement without further adue. 1 week later, I had my replacement hitch.

Installation
  • First, keep in mind, I am sooooo not mechanically inclined.
  • Installation took about 45 minutes, but I suppose that if you have a proper lift and better tools it would take considerably less time. The hitch itself weighs about 25 pounds, so it wasn't very difficult to maneauver into place and fasten with one hand.

Tools needed: ratchet w/ 10mm and 5/16" attachments + extension

The instructions call for removing the rear bumper, but I successfully managed to install the hitch w/out removing it (I'm not that adventureous). It attaches to the bumper tubes with 4 u-bolts (2 on each side).

The install feels very sturdy, however, if your planning on actually towing something, the instructions call for drilling into the trunk-well (which I did not do) and fastening two additional bolts.

Pictures:

The following couple of posts provide pictures.

If anyone would like to see a different angle, or something more specific, let me know, and I'll take some more shots. I'll also provide more shots once I mount the bike rack (this weekend?), if there is any interest.

So.. comments? Is she a keeper?
Attached Thumbnails Trailer hitch / Bike hitch (revisited, again)..-01-box.jpg   Trailer hitch / Bike hitch (revisited, again)..-02-contents.jpg   Trailer hitch / Bike hitch (revisited, again)..-02.2-dscn0015.jpg   Trailer hitch / Bike hitch (revisited, again)..-04-bumber-tube.jpg   Trailer hitch / Bike hitch (revisited, again)..-05-installed-left.jpg  

Last edited by Miguk_Saram; 05-02-2005 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:36 AM

'07 GL450
Trailer hitch / Bike hitch (installed, continued)..

Trailer Hitch - Installed
Extrerior images 6-10.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer hitch / Bike hitch (revisited, again)..-06-final.jpg   Trailer hitch / Bike hitch (revisited, again)..-07-final.jpg   Trailer hitch / Bike hitch (revisited, again)..-08-final.jpg   Trailer hitch / Bike hitch (revisited, again)..-09-final.jpg   Trailer hitch / Bike hitch (revisited, again)..-10-final.jpg  

Old 05-02-2005, 12:16 PM

11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
Congratulations on the install. The install on the W211 is much more straight forward than on my 210 Wagon. The center part of the hitch looks very similar to the 210 version. If you do drill the holes for the additional strength, I would recommend using a slow speed 1/2 inch drill with new hardened drill bits. The steel that MB uses in the rear sections of these cars doesn't like to have holes drilled in it.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:35 PM

Glad you like it...I have the exact same set up and it works great for hauling our two bikes around. I did not drill the holes either.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:06 AM

The hitch says it works on '04s. I just got a '06 e350. Think it will work on my car also?

Which bike rack did you end up going with?

Thanks,
Christian
Old 11-22-2005, 05:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Great Install!!!

Great Pix of the install. Thanks. I had a similar type of install on my S Class. I plan on getting the Curt for my E class.

Note: You can get a small square piece of plastic that fits into the female part of the receiver to keep water from entering. You can bring that piece to a body shop and get it painted the same color as your car. Makes for a nice final step.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:18 AM

'07 GL450
Originally Posted by mbline
The hitch says it works on '04s. I just got a '06 e350. Think it will work on my car also?

Thanks,
Christian
I don't know that there are any significant undercarriage changes for the '06 e350, particularly for the rear bumper area. I have the Appearance Package on my '04 and everything went smoothly. I suggest you contact the Vendor or Manufacturer before you make the purchase; if worse comes to worse, you can always return it.

As far as which bike rack I went with.. uh.. I had purchased a behemoth along with the rack: Advantage Glideaway bike rack.. way more than I needed - bulky and heavy (but it carries 4 bikes!). It works, but I'm not so confident about it's appearance.

Truth be told though, I've gotten many comments; and have been approached by several curious, fellow MB owners wondering/asking "what do you tow with that?" (not so sure that's a good comment).. evan saw one guy do a triple-take, then actually walk over and start touching and analyzing the thing while I was waiting for my gf at a local grocery store; we spoke briefly, then he went on his way..

Anyway, if there's interest, I'll take some shots and post 'em.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:11 AM

All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Ordered Curt Hitch for my 05 E320 CDI

Ordered a Curt Class 1 Hitch ( Model C11701) from Bageco.com( 407-977-3116). They are in Florida. Price was $119 plus $28 to ship to Ct. This is the best price by about 40 or 50 dollars. Will put it on myself in less than an hour. Will use it for a bike rack that slides into the receiver. I don't believe I will drill into the trunk, but just use the attached U bolts.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:19 AM

E55
Anbody have any ideas on how much an E500 will actually tow? It has the power but will the suspension and transmission actually hold up to towing a mid-sized boat or a light car?
Old 11-23-2005, 09:58 AM

Towing

Check your owner's manual. It might provide information. I wouldn't get too frisky about towing really large loads. The trannys in today's cars aren't designed for that. If you do, carry some wrenches so you can take the tow mechanism off, throw it into the woods, then call the tow truck for the MB warranty!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by mbline

Thanks,
Christian
I went ahead and got the Curt hitch for my '06 E350. Went on no problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch / Bike hitch (revisited, again)..