R Class Introduction at NY Show

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
R Class Introduction at NY Show

For those interested, visit the GST Forum and I have posted a link to the GCF's site showing the new production model of the R Class. Also posted there are specifications and features for the R Class. Please post comments on the GST Forum so this E Class Forum is not taken up with non E Class comments.

Jack
Old 03-23-2005, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Class under $50,000 Base

Just read in the Detroit News reporting on the R Class debut in New York that it will list for under $50,000. I would imagine this is the R350 V6.

http://members.***.net/pewtersport
Old 03-23-2005, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
GCF In-Depth on R-Class

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...id/2050323.014
Old 03-23-2005, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was on that site early this morning and have printed out the commentary of 28 pages for enjoyable reading.

I just sent MBUSA an email three days ago or so asking for some update since they had not done any thing with their site since December. Got the standard response to visit MBUSA for more information...they really don't read what you send them...:-)

I copied some of those pictures and posted them...URL's are in my signature. I will be ordering the R350 as soon as Netstar allows my dealer to do so and has priced out the car. I was surprised to see the $50,000 figure, I thought about $54000 but perhaps the options will make up for the lower base...get me now or get me later.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 ML63; 05 E55 (sold)
I think I'll sell my Mercedes now. Thank you.

Old 03-30-2005, 04:17 PM

2016 G63 ; 981 boxster GTS
funny (to me) but true..

mbusa emailed me a little promo on the r-class. i showed it to the wife, whom i am always trying to get into new cars, and without flinching she immediately looked out the nearest window to the neighbors' Pacifica and said: 'it looks just like that one'.
i know or a fact she is unaware of the DCX merger.

fwiw , j.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jago1244
mbusa emailed me a little promo on the r-class. i showed it to the wife, whom i am always trying to get into new cars, and without flinching she immediately looked out the nearest window to the neighbors' Pacifica and said: 'it looks just like that one'.
i know or a fact she is unaware of the DCX merger.

fwiw , j.
My deceased wife (rest her sweet soul) when I bought the E320, said it looked like all those Japanese cars. So much for women and their appreciation of fine automobiles...:-)
Old 03-30-2005, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
I don't know about everyone else but, my God can MB try to possibly find one more demographic to sell a car to!! Again, maybe it's me but talk about diluting a brand. Yes, I know all the business models and why they're doing it, blah, blah, blah. Remember MB's old ad slogan? "Engineered like no other". Hell, they're to busy churning out model after model. Wonder if there is any correleation to all the models and the recent lousy QA.

There's a link in the CLS 55 forum to a review by Jeremy Clarkson that touches upon MB making a model for virtually everyone. It's really funny. Check it out. Jago1244 your wife is right. It's a fancy Pacifica.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cte430
snip... Jago1244 your wife is right. It's a fancy Pacifica.
Perhaps my earlier statement about "lack of appreciation of fine automobiles" also applies to some E55 drivers...

If you think the R Class is just a "fancy Pacifica," what is the CLS but a E Class interior and components with a "fancy coupe" body.

It takes all kinds of people and all kinds of car companies to satisfy the American public's demand for something new and different. If you don't build it the competition will. In the R Class you already have BMW joining the frey and how many Japanese makers have already copied the design and already have them on the road. Porsche already has shown pictures of their CLS copy. If you think MB could survive by just building 3 or 4 models for the upper crust of the demograhics in todays world you are kidding yourself.

I wonder in a year or so when MB releases the R 63AMG (whatever) if fans of the Beast will then think maybe this car has some style with it's 21 inch chromes and mods from Brabus or someone else?????

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 03-30-2005 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Add sentence
Old 03-30-2005, 08:04 PM

E500, Viper, and other less-fun stuff
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
If you think MB could survive by just building 3 or 4 models for the upper crust of the demograhics in todays world you are kidding yourself.
Talk about a strawman argument. This site alone runs FORTY TWO class-specific forums, most of which cater to as many as ten or twelve different models. 99% of the people here would probably agree they're spread a little too thin these days.

Not to mention the fact that what we might call "the minivan market" is precisely the reason they bought the Chrysler brand in the first place.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by McGuireV10
Talk about a strawman argument. This site alone runs FORTY TWO class-specific forums, most of which cater to as many as ten or twelve different models. 99% of the people here would probably agree they're spread a little too thin these days.

Not to mention the fact that what we might call "the minivan market" is precisely the reason they bought the Chrysler brand in the first place.
What does the fact that 99% (your figure, not mine)would agree they are spread too thin have to do with the looks and quality of the R Class?

Are you saying they should not have built the CLS. not have built the B Class, not have built the ML in '97, not build the SLK, not build the CLK, not the C Class, not build any new models. Just go back to the golden years and build the 3-4 I spoke about and continue to just build those?

I don't know what the problem is with MB building a "minivan" as many on this forum have said that bothers everyone so much. Why do all these MB experts find fault with this vehicle which if you read the specs and look at the features, it is a combination of their excellent E wagon, the redesigned ML and the size of a S Class. The price is at about the E Class level and the quality will be at least to that level. What is the problem guys? I don't like the CLS since it reminds me of my 1959 Buick Riviera Coupe but I think it is a nice car and is a MB.

The reference to the Pacifica is valid from a "look" and perhaps even "purpose" standpoint. But there is no resemblance between the two cars as far as engineering and quality are concerned. Saying it is just another Pacifica is pure B******* and makes me wonder whether they are bowing to forum peer pressure to not like it because it looks like a "minivan."

Spread to thin or not, it will be in my garage come Fall and I have a hunch I won't be alone....

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 03-30-2005 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Change date
Old 03-30-2005, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Perhaps my earlier statement about "lack of appreciation of fine automobiles" also applies to some E55 drivers...

If you think the R Class is just a "fancy Pacifica," what is the CLS but a E Class interior and components with a "fancy coupe" body.

It takes all kinds of people and all kinds of car companies to satisfy the American public's demand for something new and different. If you don't build it the competition will. In the R Class you already have BMW joining the frey and how many Japanese makers have already copied the design and already have them on the road. Porsche already has shown pictures of their CLS copy. If you think MB could survive by just building 3 or 4 models for the upper crust of the demograhics in todays world you are kidding yourself.

I wonder in a year or so when MB releases the R 63AMG (whatever) if fans of the Beast will then think maybe this car has some style with it's 21 inch chromes and mods from Brabus or someone else?????
Jack, some of my comments were made with tongue slightly in cheek I absolutely think the CLS is an E with new clothing!! LOL. No argument there. Also, I would HATE it if they made this an AMG model. I don't necessarily think every model should have an AMG version. Kind of gives some credence to the BMW M supporters who claim MB "just throws a big engine in every car they have". Mentioning Porsche is a poor choice in my opinion. How many different (sure, there are different versions of the 911, but basically it's the same car) models have they made in their HISTORY? Not many. I think that's kept the marque special. I guess we agree to disagree

Anyway, you should read that review, it's really funny. Kind of had that in mind with my first post.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:21 PM

2005 E500
NJack-
You have caught nothing but flack since your first post about deciding to get the R-class. I applaud your decision and congratulate you on stepping out of the bounds of all us E and C class buying masses.I know you will enjoy the brand new MB design.

People seem to dwell on the DC merger yet they still continue to have the cars parked in the driveway even while they complain about how bad the merger has been for the MB name on this forum. Just get past it people. Consumers will continue to buy the cars without hesitation, just as they buy Infiniti and Acura even thought they are just Nissans and Hondas with bigger wheels and more leather. Just wait and see if MB releases an AMG model of the R-class, I bet people will start saying that the R-class AMG is breaking "new ground" in design and drool over things like upgraded brakes, wheels, and and stainless steel pedals. We all do it. Myself included. I pine for the E55 but then I think to myself is a few more bells and whistles, added HP worth the extra $30K? When really if you brake it down it all the same stuff. At the same time understand and respect all those that do think it's worth it.

Anyway congrats to you again Jack... Don't let peoples comments on here sway your decision. Let us know your first impressions when you take delivery.

J-
Old 03-30-2005, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cte430
Jack, some of my comments were made with tongue slightly in cheek I absolutely think the CLS is an E with new clothing!! LOL. No argument there. Also, I would HATE it if they made this an AMG model. .
I guess it would be kind of boring if we all agreed all the time...

I think is only a matter of time for the R AMG model...they even released a artist conception about a year ago. If the R sells really well, then it will be AMG'd and become the new kid on the block.

As far as Porsche..the Cayenne and the new CLS knock off sedan. They also realize they have to broaden the appeal and the market. Look for a Porsche R Class if the MB model takes off.

Enjoy the conversation...
Old 03-30-2005, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks bluerascal. Yeah, can't find many supporters but the detractors are out in force..:-) You have the scenario correct on the AMG model...very well put. In my younger years I would have loved to have one of those.

The only thing that could change my mind would be that MB does not live up to the hype and make this vehicle a true MB...with the old quality levels. I think Cordes will ensure the R, the new ML and the new S meet only the highest standards.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:02 AM

'06 SL65
Nevada Jack: Do whats feels right for you! I think the R Class is a great fit for you as you are planning to drive cross country.

Last edited by LIONHEAD; 03-31-2005 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LIONHEAD
Nevada Jack: Do whats feels right for you! I think the R Class is a great fit for you as you are planning to drive cross country.
Hey LIONHEAD...how are you doing. Good to see your input. Never fear...have been doing that for the past 73 years...:-) Will be posting on the GST R Class as the R gets closer to release to retail. I will have my wagon + with this creature and I think it will be fantastic to do the traveling I have in mind. Won't need a CL Grille in this one...:-)

Best to you....Jack
Old 03-31-2005, 06:16 AM

Are you saying they should not have built the CLS. not have built the B Class, not have built the ML in '97, not build the SLK, not build the CLK, not the C Class, not build any new models. Just go back to the golden years and build the 3-4 I spoke about and continue to just build those?
You have a penchant for overstatement. The point was this: they are not simply relying upon three or four models (your figure, not mine), hence at least one of your justifications for a minivan was a false premise.

That leaves the "everybody else is doing it" argument, and even my mother was never willing to accept that one without a fight.

For the record, it looks less like a Pacifica and more like a Town & Country: it screams minivan, not SUV-crossover, or whatever the press finally decided to call the Murano trend. They could jam a 750HP CLK GTR engine under the hood and it would still be an unfortunate soccer-mom grocery getter. All the AMG badging in the world can't make a minivan exciting.

Just my opinion. Who said it? Oh yeah:

I guess it would be kind of boring if we all agreed all the time...
Old 03-31-2005, 06:45 AM

2004 E500
You have a penchant for overstatement. The point was this: they are not simply relying upon three or four models (your figure, not mine), hence at least one of your justifications for a minivan was a false premise.

That leaves the "everybody else is doing it" argument, and even my mother was never willing to accept that one without a fight.

For the record, it looks less like a Pacifica and more like a Town & Country: it screams minivan, not SUV-crossover, or whatever the press finally decided to call the Murano trend. They could jam a 750HP CLK GTR engine under the hood and it would still be an unfortunate soccer-mom grocery getter. All the AMG badging in the world can't make a minivan exciting.

Just my opinion. Who said it? Oh yeah:

This is a ridiculous position.

If you want exclusivity in this world, you gotta spend the big bucks. Mercedes vehicles aren't that expensive, and sure, DC Corporate is now trying to expand a rather limited market to increase sales/profits... resulting in the obvious comparisons of, say, their Pacifica looking like this new model.

Hell, when the new E-Class came out, some people on this board said its tail lights looked like those of a Taurus. They were right, but it was the wrong car family to blame on the merger

Pre-merger Mercedes was foing a lousy job, hence their current position. If you want a vehicle which looks like no other, build your own.. but then expect copy cats soon thereafter.

Consumers want choice - 'tis the way of the world.

Oh, and to the real point of this thread - NJ, you are making a great decision to get this car. It looks sweet!
Old 03-31-2005, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by MadManAboutTown
If you want exclusivity in this world, you gotta spend the big bucks.
Exclusivity is not synonymous with selectivity.

There is a reason "jack of all trades, master of none" is rarely complimentary.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:05 PM

2004 E500
Exclusivity is not synonymous with selectivity.

There is a reason "jack of all trades, master of none" is rarely complimentary.
Huh? In my book, those two terms (exclusivity and selectivity) certainly come hand-in-hand with each other. How can anyone have exclusivity without selectivity being a key component?

And I don't see how your quote has anything to do with what I was referring to - sorry.