E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Recall, All cars??

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-31-2005, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Recall, All cars??

When reading the recall info I was under the impression that all E Class within the specified time period were included. Called my SA this PM and he checked on the MB system and told me that "so far" my 05 E320 4M is not included. It was an 11/04 build and delivered to me 1/29/05. He did say that this info is subject to change. Anyone else hear the same thing??
Old 03-31-2005, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
It's all over the headlight news now. Should help to put last nail into Mercedes coffin.

All 02-04 Mercedes are subject to recall. What a POS. Even Ford and GM have at most couple hundred thousand recall, at most.

We have 1.5 mil Mercedes to be recalled, should have fun try to get service at dealer.

Can't wait to enjoy that free coffe at FletcherJones and hear all of the BS in the lounge about how superior it feels to driver a Mercedes

Originally Posted by sosh
When reading the recall info I was under the impression that all E Class within the specified time period were included. Called my SA this PM and he checked on the MB system and told me that "so far" my 05 E320 4M is not included. It was an 11/04 build and delivered to me 1/29/05. He did say that this info is subject to change. Anyone else hear the same thing??
Old 03-31-2005, 07:05 PM
liz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Called 2 dealerships and MBUSA HQ in montvale, nj. They had no idea what I was referring to. You might want to wait a couple of days before you give up. I don't think the employees were told about the recall yet.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
There is an electrical recall for the petrol engined 211's and also yet another official recall for the SBC braking system on all models!

I have just got off the telephone after speaking to Mercedes-Benz in Germany. They took the chassis number of my vehicle and informed me that the recall only applied to the petrol engined models!!!

Me being me, then queried the SBC side of the recall! One moment Sir.......

Yes I can confirm that your vehicle is one of those effected and you will be getting a letter from the dealer.

I then queried whether it is something I should be worried about.

The official answer is No!

What might happen is the SBC warning light comes on to let you know the SBC has failed!!!!! The vehicle then reverts to a normal hydraulic mode.

How many times have I mentioned that I feel like I; and all the other 211 owners are being used as 'beta' developers?

This is going to be the third time Mercedes-Benz have had my car back to query the SBC braking system.

Please be aware that I can only really make these comments about the European models.

Regards to you all,

John

A very misty, mild morning in Torquay
Old 04-01-2005, 06:08 AM

2003 E500 Sport, 2004 E500 Wagon
Originally Posted by zam2000
All 02-04 Mercedes are subject to recall. What a POS. Even Ford and GM have at most couple hundred thousand recall, at most.
From the articles so far it sounds like this is pitched as a quality recall, at least for the voltage regulator and battery software. This is the right thing for them to do at this point. This will really only cost labor time (not that it is not a serious impact across 1.3million times), the software does not cost them anything to upgrade and voltage regulators are cheap and may even have to be swallowed by bosch.

Regarding the 1.3million car volume, yes it is a large recall but is still far from the top 10. Ford had 7.9million in '96 for ignition switches and GM's largest was 6.7million in '81 for engine mounts and as recently as a year ago recalled almost 3.7million pickups for faulty tailgates.

My '03 500 has been excellent, yes I'm having the ashtray door replaced for a hairline crack and I've had them update the radio software for it occasionally cutting out (about once a month and cycling the radio to reboot it cleaned it up taking a couple of seconds, big deal and it has not occured since) and at least once I had to "reboot the car" to clear what must have been some bad data in the airmatic but I have more serious issues with $1 million computer systems if you want to talk quality issues at major companies.

Daimler is doing the right things to improve quality. Other companies might ignore the existing cars and just fix new builds, give them credit for taking the E by the horns so to speak and addressing ALL the issues. Me, I'll keep driving
Old 04-01-2005, 06:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by Benz-E-r
Daimler is doing the right things to improve quality. Other companies might ignore the existing cars and just fix new builds, give them credit for taking the E by the horns so to speak and addressing ALL the issues. Me, I'll keep driving
I agree with every word you have said.

Take care,
John
Old 04-01-2005, 07:00 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 W169 A150
The SBC recall is, apparently, to fit a new support bracket for the wiring. The current bracket allows too much movement which could, in theory pull the wires and cause SBC to shutdown (in a fail-safe manner).

This is a "book in and fix it now" recall, whereas the other issues in this recall are "fix at next service".
Old 04-01-2005, 08:31 AM

E500
Rehabilitate The Brand?

Wouldn't you think, given MB realizes it has to restore the brand's reputation, Daimler-Chrysler would communicate the recall to the field before the public announcment? Isn't it reasonable (and obvious) to expect customer calls to the dealers once the news breaks? Yet just as with previous recalls, the dealer had no clue. How will this foster a new confidence in the brand by the consumer?

On the flip side, to be fair, historically car manufacturers generally do not initiate recalls unless forced to do so by government agencies.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500, Viper, and other less-fun stuff
Originally Posted by e500
On the flip side, to be fair, historically car manufacturers generally do not initiate recalls unless forced to do so by government agencies.
Actually most recalls are voluntary.

Often the text of the recall will state whether it's voluntary or regulatory. You can look up the titles of all recalls on AllData, or you can get a less-complete list from the government NHSTA website.

http://www.alldata.com/recalls/index.html

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm
Old 04-01-2005, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by glojo
There is an electrical recall for the petrol engined 211's and also yet another official recall for the SBC braking system on all models!

I have just got off the telephone after speaking to Mercedes-Benz in Germany. They took the chassis number of my vehicle and informed me that the recall only applied to the petrol engined models!!!

Me being me, then queried the SBC side of the recall! One moment Sir.......

Yes I can confirm that your vehicle is one of those effected and you will be getting a letter from the dealer.

I then queried whether it is something I should be worried about.

The official answer is No!

What might happen is the SBC warning light comes on to let you know the SBC has failed!!!!! The vehicle then reverts to a normal hydraulic mode.

How many times have I mentioned that I feel like I; and all the other 211 owners are being used as 'beta' developers?

This is going to be the third time Mercedes-Benz have had my car back to query the SBC braking system.

Please be aware that I can only really make these comments about the European models.

Regards to you all,

John

A very misty, mild morning in Torquay

Wecome back.....
Old 04-01-2005, 10:15 AM
X72

Honda Accord
Originally Posted by glojo
I would simply strike the word "like" from this sentence. We ARE beta testing the W211.

I know that there are many of you out there with absolutely to nearly absolutely flawless cars. But it doesn't take that many "bad apples" to significantly affect Mercedes' reputation.

I have had more than my fair share of problems. I term that this car has had "quality" problems. To not argue over terms, by a quality car, I mean that the car operates without needing repair.

Just in the last six months, my car has had the following parts replaced; AC compressor, water pump, power steering pump, steering wheel angle sensor (part of the electronic stability control), bracket for the audio gateway (to reduce static, by the way, thanks to the board members who mentioned this particular fix), a suspension component (can't remember offhand exactly what), alignment (that was nearly $300; needed two corrective bolts) and the SBC brake recall done. By the way, I got a good deal at tirerack.com on the 16 inch Continental Touring tires that they are closing out. (the closeout tires have smaller sidewall lettering than the OEM tires; that is the only difference I noticed).

The service I have gotten at the dealership (Bill Ussery in Coral Gables, FL) is quite good, and I am satisfied that they have repaired my car. But this has required significant time (including researching this board) in order to get the results that I desired.

This means that I have been to the dealership, on average, nearly monthly for the past 6 months. I am now at 48,200 miles. I did not purchase the extended warranty. I am leaning towards keeping the car past the warranty expiration. My car does not have Airmatic, Distronic, Command, or Cell phone. I have already budgeted $2500/year on average (repairs/maintenance) to keep this car running. If it is worse than that, I will sell the car. I do my own oil changes and easy things to fix.

I like the car. But we also have two Lexus ES 300's. Yes, they are glorified Toyotas. Yes, the aren't as stylish as the E320. Yes, the driving experience is numb and the transmission/engine software leads to hesitation in some situations (this alone may be a deal breaker on this car for many of you). Yes, the Lexus/Toyota V6 engine has had sludge issues, so the max you can go without an oil change is 5000 miles. Yes, I have not had to take those cars in for repairs. The only problem I have had with one of the cars is the summer tires it came with are cupping, so the car will need new tires and an alignment. The 05 ES 330 also cost approximately $32,000 + sales tax. The other ES 300 we have is an 03, and it is the car with the tire issue.

I also look at the Lexus boards, but I simply do not need to keep up as much with that because the Lexus cars have been easy to own for me.

I won't be buying Mercedes for my next car, on principle alone. I am not loyal to Mercedes nor any other brand and it is the American tradition/mindset to shun inferior products. If it were just me or just the people who have had problems with the W211, that wouldn't be so bad. But my problems are not so bad compared to what I read on the ML board. Have you seen the rust problems that many with the W210 have had? I personally know someone whose ML had (they sold the car) been very problematic.

Even if you love your car, these "quality" issues will affect you when you trade in or get a new lease. Once all the owners of the problematic W211s trade in and these cars get into the used car market, the likely poor experience of many secondhand owners is going to have a marked effect on the residual values. Already, the residual values (as a % of the initial buying price) have fallen below Lexus levels. Within the next few years, I predict that the 4 year residual value for Mercedes cars overall will approach the low residuals of Cadillacs and Lincolns (GM and Ford luxury cars). If my hypothesis comes to pass, Mercedes will have to accept lower profit margins than Toyota; Toyota will be able to reinvest more money into their vehicles as well as into their sales/service organization.

The situation at Mercedes is not as dire as what General Motors is up against now. But there is one parallel in that I think Mercedes is going to have a 1970's type "Cadillac" experience in the next few years; I am not saying that Mercedes are as bad as 1970's Cadillacs; what I am saying is that I think Mercedes may be in for a fall from their comfortable and lofty perch. Mercedes is really up against fierce competition. Mercedes, I think, is still competing against BMW and VW/Audi, when the true behemoth is Toyota, at least in the US market.

Resting on your laurels and expecting the consumer to be there for you is folly. It takes a while, but once the consumers turn on Mercedes, Mercedes will be hard pressed to win them back.

William
2003 E320
Old 04-01-2005, 12:11 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Nicely stated, William.

I have been whining about my '03 for a while now but your car has had a lot more issues requiring new parts than mine has. Ouch.

My lease is up within a month's time. Unless they offer me an outrageously low purchase - it's bye-bye M-B. My first and probably last, unfortunately for M-B. My brother picked up an '04 SL500 recently. It has been in the shop more than my E320. I told him that he shouldn't even consider the car without the extended warranty. I hope for his sake that it covers Comand and all the other electronics.

Loved the style of the W211 and the image enhancement is rather enjoyable too but the value portion of the equation is too low IMO.

I'm anxious to see if the new IS300 2-door or hardtop convertible materialze. Our Lexus has been nearly bulletproof in 13 years and 160K miles. I don't find the SC430 attractive (even though the wifey does) I don't really think the new GS looks all that hot either.

We'll just keep driving the old one until the wheels fall off and sink all that car payment $$$ we're not spending back into the house.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:49 AM
X72

Honda Accord
Hey lig, please post what you end up doing at the lease end. I am interested to hear what buy deal the dealer offers you. If you decide to go with another car, please post that too. I always am curious to hear details, both good and bad. I mainly used to lurk on this board; I am sure that others are curious to hear what you decide to do and you would never know it.

I have read online quite a few people complaining about harsh ride on the run flat tires that the Lexus SC430 rides on; I do not know if this situation has been remedied.
William
2003 E320
Old 04-03-2005, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
My car was in for service last Monday... I wonder if this recall was officially in effect then and already done for my car... hmm... I wonder...
Old 04-03-2005, 07:06 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Originally Posted by X72
Hey lig, please post what you end up doing at the lease end. I am interested to hear what buy deal the dealer offers you. If you decide to go with another car, please post that too. I always am curious to hear details, both good and bad. I mainly used to lurk on this board; I am sure that others are curious to hear what you decide to do and you would never know it.
Hey William -

I'll be sure to post how things end up
Old 04-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 W169 A150
Originally Posted by MBE55AMG
My car was in for service last Monday... I wonder if this recall was officially in effect then and already done for my car... hmm... I wonder...
I spoke to my dealer - here in the UK - on Friday 1st, and they knew nothing more about it than they had read on the Internet. They began to get official word from MB later that same day.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Originally Posted by calum
I spoke to my dealer - here in the UK - on Friday 1st, and they knew nothing more about it than they had read on the Internet. They began to get official word from MB later that same day.
Ah, thanks for the input. I'm concluding it wasn't fixed up for the recall then.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E60 M5 - '08
Just got off the phone from my dealer and he said that MB Australia will be sending a letter out to me "once they know what's going on"........

I then asked if it was a critical recall and he said "probably not".

Interesting........ one of those cases where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing me thinks
Old 04-03-2005, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by Le Burpor
I then asked if it was a critical recall and he said "probably not".
From what we know, it's no more critical than the SBC recall and that recall was nothing more than a programmed counter to count the number of brake applications so that they could tell you to bring your car in to have the SBC pump checked once the counter reached a certain number. From what we've heard, you'd have to be a taxi driver to see that message. At least not for the next 8 years or so.

Relax folks and wait for the letter.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:04 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by X72

Just in the last six months, my car has had the following parts replaced; AC compressor, water pump, power steering pump, steering wheel angle sensor (part of the electronic stability control), bracket for the audio gateway (to reduce static, by the way, thanks to the board members who mentioned this particular fix), a suspension component (can't remember offhand exactly what), alignment (that was nearly $300; needed two corrective bolts) and the SBC brake recall done.

William
2003 E320
William, what was wrong wit the A/C compressor, I'm on my second and it too sounds like an old electric motor most of time.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:35 PM

many
You all should know that what ever is made by Benz is half finished.
They think if enough customers complaint about something then they will fix it. Manufacturer is just waiting for customers to find problems since there was not enough time to fully develop these cars.
I wonder how many cars have to be fixed before being sold.
Thank you Mr. Schremp for using customers as your testers.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:02 PM
X72

Honda Accord
Originally Posted by RJC
William, what was wrong wit the A/C compressor, I'm on my second and it too sounds like an old electric motor most of time.
At approximately 46,000 miles and about 2 years after purchase (bought new in Dec. 2002), the climate control "Auto" light was blinking red instead of its normal steady red light. They replaced the compressor. I was told that the compressor was leaking refrigerant; they first filled the system and added the dye they use to find leaks.

My compressor only makes that moaning sound (I am guessing that's what you mean by an old electric motor) a few minutes after I click the "AC off" button. So I don't do that anymore. I think the compressor goes into a reduced power state but does not totally turn off.

I had a 2000 E 320 before this car. I must say that the W211 climate control cools the car much better than in the W210. I had to say something positive about the car, lest whoever reads my posts think that I am a curmudgeon. I do like the car. The water pump and power steering pump were replaced when I complained that I had noticed a marked decrease in both of those fluids. They told me that both of those pumps had slow leaks. I am happy all of this stuff was repaired under warranty. I am nervous about things after I cross the 50,000 mile threshold.

Funny, I don't think my car is afflicted with the voltage regulator problem, as I can leave it parked for a couple of weeks and it will start right up.
William
2003 E320
Old 04-04-2005, 06:13 PM
X72

Honda Accord
Check out this thread
http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/th...osts=15&fid=44

The poster, NordStern, makes interesting points, and his post from today has some interesting links.

William
2003 E 320
Old 04-04-2005, 08:35 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by X72
At approximately 46,000 miles and about 2 years after purchase (bought new in Dec. 2002), the climate control "Auto" light was blinking red instead of its normal steady red light. They replaced the compressor. I was told that the compressor was leaking refrigerant; they first filled the system and added the dye they use to find leaks.

My compressor only makes that moaning sound (I am guessing that's what you mean by an old electric motor) a few minutes after I click the "AC off" button. So I don't do that anymore. I think the compressor goes into a reduced power state but does not totally turn off.

I had a 2000 E 320 before this car. I must say that the W211 climate control cools the car much better than in the W210. I had to say something positive about the car, lest whoever reads my posts think that I am a curmudgeon. I do like the car. The water pump and power steering pump were replaced when I complained that I had noticed a marked decrease in both of those fluids. They told me that both of those pumps had slow leaks. I am happy all of this stuff was repaired under warranty. I am nervous about things after I cross the 50,000 mile threshold.

Funny, I don't think my car is afflicted with the voltage regulator problem, as I can leave it parked for a couple of weeks and it will start right up.
William
2003 E320
Thanks William. My compressor "moans" about 50% of the time even after they replaced it. You are right the new compressors never turn off at least according to the tech that services my car. I just hate that crappy sound it makes, as it sounds so .
Old 04-05-2005, 08:07 AM

1989 560SEL, 1999 S600, 2005 S600, 2008 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by X72
William
2003 E320
While I don't own a W211 E-Class, I was reading thoroughly about it on this and other MB Forums as I considered purchasing an E320 CDI, but eventually I decided that the car was too small for me after test driving it and I didn't want to get into debt for it so I purchased an '84 300SD instead.

William, your experience is what seems to be a big problem. Inconsistency of problems. You'll see several E-Class owners who have over 60,000 miles and have never made a warranty claim. Then again you'll see even more people who have had to visit the dealer more often than they'd like. I just wonder if the quality of these parts and assembly is inconsistent and if that's what MB really should be looking into fixing right away. Having worked in a Harley-Davidson assembly plant as a Computer Tech, I can tell you that a flawed assembly can make even the best engineered parts look bad.

This recall doesn't affect all MBs. It only affects the E-Class, the SL-Class and the CLS-Class. Yes, the CLS which just came out is affected as well since it is really 85% of an E-Class. The things being replaced have been long overdue for years! I've been reading for a long time about people whose batteries get drained often leaving the owners stranded when the car wouldn't start back up. There was even a case in which the dealer had tried to repair the car so many times that they told the owners never to leave the car parked for more than one day without usage!! I believe this recall is a step in the right direction to fix what was made badly in the first place. Even with all the bad rap about MB quality going on in every auto industry news source, I'd still purchase a brand new MB if I had the money. Why? Well, believe it or not, the management actually have way more to lose than we do. Their necks are on the line and they know they have to fix that brand. Even the former MB head who just retired knows his name will forever be in the books as the leader who signed off on the production of these flaw vehicles. Not a good thing to have in your mind as you head off for retirement.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Recall, All cars??