E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Pictures of air filter 2003 E 320 (W211)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 04:31 PM
X72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honda Accord
Pictures of air filter 2003 E 320 (W211)

I took some pictures to post on "the other" mercedes forum, so I decided to post them here in case any of you are curious about the air filter location. I am glad I did take out the air filters. I was able to remove the dead bug collection I had in there, as well as knock a lot of dust and sand from the filters.

That big plastic thing that sits on the engine is just press clipped on. First remove the air snorkels and note their orientation (they are side specific). I also took off the oil cap. Then just pull sharply up from one side until it pops off, and then pop off the other side of the cover. There are four places the cover is clipped on as well as a fifth small clip on the front center of the plastic cover. That front part of the cover is detachable from the rest; there is no need to separate it off. Flip over the cover and there are 4 Torx T-25 screws holding each of the two (2) air filters inside thier respective housings.

This is for the V6 E 320. I can't imagine the V8 E 500 being too different; I cannot guarantee that though so use your common sense.

William
2003 E320 48k miles
Attached Thumbnails Pictures of air filter 2003 E 320 (W211)-airfilter1a.jpg   Pictures of air filter 2003 E 320 (W211)-airfilter2a.jpg   Pictures of air filter 2003 E 320 (W211)-airfilter3a.jpg   Pictures of air filter 2003 E 320 (W211)-airfilter4a.jpg  
Old 04-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
What are the filters (?) located in each snorkel; combination filter, dust filter.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by konigstiger
What are the filters (?) located in each snorkel; combination filter, dust filter.
I don't think there is anything inside the snorkels.

BTW, these snorkels are supposed to have been changed to another material on the E350 to reduce the coarse sound of the V6.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:16 AM
X72

Honda Accord
confirming what BudC said, the snorkel has nothing inside. When you look at the snorkel, you will see that the central portion of the tube is corrugated. This is so you can compress it, and slide it off the engine cover. You then slide the snorkel off its attachment at the front of the engine bay. When you do slide the snorkel off the engine cover, look inside the tube where the snorkel was attached and you will see the corner of the air filter.

The filters in the picture are the engine air filter(s). I bought mine at allgermanparts.com . Seemed like their prices were pretty good, including their price for the Mann Fleece oil filter kit. I didn't bother to check the dealership prices on the assumption that their prices would be higher. If someone knows of a better place to buy these type of DIY (do it yourself) parts, please post. I found that parts website on this forum, so thanks to whoever posted that information.

The filters lie one on each side of the engine cover. The bottom part of the air filter box is located at the "tube" part of the cover right after where the air snorkel attaches. This "tube" portion of the engine cover was the place I put my two hands to pop off the engine cover; this engine cover is thick and weighs approximately 10 pounds. I hope this clarifies things a bit more.

konigstiger, the cabin dust filter/combination filter is for the climate control system. I haven't tackled that one yet, but I imagine that it is under the passenger side footwell somewhere. If someone has changed this filter, I would love to see pictures of that job.

I greatly appreciate your posts konigstiger, especially all the TSB's you have mentioned. Because of one of your posts, I was able to easily get the audio gateway bracket replaced.

William
2003 E 320
Old 04-02-2005, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Discount Parts Sources

Here are some Mercedes parts sources:

http://www.buymbparts.com/ (Recommended)

http://catalog.mercedesshop.com/ (Recommended)

http://germanstar.net/Mercedes_Parts_Catalog.html

Caliber Motors in California is a Mercedes dealer that sells parts at a discount. I've usually gotten about 25% off. They are well known to Mercedes Club members. Call 1-800-252-6877 and ask for Al Trevino in Parts. Make sure you request ground shipping unless you are in a hurry for the part(s)
Old 04-02-2005, 09:37 AM
X72

Honda Accord
One more thing. I apologize for not taking a close up, but I can guide you to see the attachment points of the cover on the engine. If you look at the picture in my post above of the engine, look at the black engine oil fill opening. Then look immediately to the left and you will see a black thing sticking up at an angle. It lies between the engine oil fill point and the shiny gold thing. By the way, that shiny gold thing I think has to do with the fuel system and at least on my car, is made in Japan.

Anyhow, once you see it, the two attachment point should become visible to you on the left part of the picture (other side of the engine). They are angled pieces of metal covered with black plastic, and it is where the clips, which are visible on the pictures of the bottom of the engine cover, attach.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by BudC
I don't think there is anything inside the snorkels. BTW, these snorkels are supposed to have been changed to another material on the E350 to reduce the coarse sound of the V6.
Originally Posted by X72
When you look at the snorkel, you will see that the central portion of the tube is corrugated. This is so you can compress it, and slide it off the engine cover. William
Thanks guys, should have figured that one on my own.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
The engine cover on my E320 is in two parts. The front part tilts up and can be removed by pulling it up and forward. Then the large piece over the intake manfold can be removed as X72 described. Just pull it up at the corners and it will pull free from the clips.

The opening at the center-rear behind the intake manafold is where air enters.

If you are going to be working on the engine with the engine cover off, it's a smart thing to place a shop rag over the opening so you don't drop anything in there. When replacing the large cover, make sure it's seated firmly on all four clips so that the cover is sealed to the air intake opening in the rear.

X72's image shows the SBC controller on the left and the power steering reservoir and oil filter housing on the right front.

Like some others here, I live in Arizona. In our case, I think it's wise to check the air filters as often as we change oil and not wait more than once a year to do it.

I've had to replace the air filter on my 300E in as little as 9K miles. It's dusty in the west valley.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Air filter pix

Hello, I'm new to this forum. X72, thanks for the air filter pix. Would you or anybody know where the fuel filter is located? I would like to replace that as well as the combo and charcoal filters. By the way, the dust (cabin) filter is in that black plastic container that is shown in the top right corner of your main picture. Just remove the plastic nut on the bolt (bolt is on the wheel well) and lift up the container -- it's hinged and the filter will be inside.

I have a 2003 E320 with 40K miles right now, and it will be out of warranty by the end of the year, so anything I can change myself will be a big cost savings.

Also, I have another vehicle with aluminum cylinder heads with 100K mile spark plug replacement recommendations. I change the plugs at 50K miles because I've heard too many horror stories of seized plugs. The engine needs to be cold when changing the spark plugs.

Thanks to everyone for all the contributions.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Correction to my post on air filter pix

Sorry, the dust (cabin) filter location is the top LEFT of X72's main pix.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E500
Originally Posted by X72
I took some pictures to post on "the other" mercedes forum, so I decided to post them here in case any of you are curious about the air filter location. I am glad I did take out the air filters. I was able to remove the dead bug collection I had in there, as well as knock a lot of dust and sand from the filters.

That big plastic thing that sits on the engine is just press clipped on. First remove the air snorkels and note their orientation (they are side specific). I also took off the oil cap. Then just pull sharply up from one side until it pops off, and then pop off the other side of the cover. There are four places the cover is clipped on as well as a fifth small clip on the front center of the plastic cover. That front part of the cover is detachable from the rest; there is no need to separate it off. Flip over the cover and there are 4 Torx T-25 screws holding each of the two (2) air filters inside thier respective housings.

This is for the V6 E 320. I can't imagine the V8 E 500 being too different; I cannot guarantee that though so use your common sense.

William
2003 E320 48k miles

Thanks for the info and pictures. I've just tested on my car and it is the same process on the E500.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 e320; 1998 e320; 1987 560sel
air filter change

X72,

Thanks for the post. Your description was accruate for my 2005 as well. It took any guess work out of how to remove the cover.

Dennis