E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

CDI Engine Oil Viscosity

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-03-2005, 10:55 AM
LAH
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E 320 CDI
CDI Engine Oil Viscosity

I checked the engine oil level on my 2005 CDI, today and it told me that I was down a quart. I looked to try and find out what viscosity of Mobil 1 but could not find it anywhere. Can someone tell me what viscosity oil is shipped with the car new. I assume you need to add the same oil. Thank you
Old 04-03-2005, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by LAH
I checked the engine oil level on my 2005 CDI, today and it told me that I was down a quart. I looked to try and find out what viscosity of Mobil 1 but could not find it anywhere. Can someone tell me what viscosity oil is shipped with the car new. I assume you need to add the same oil. Thank you
Go here http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html and use these charts.

If you are in the U.S., use oils For vehicles with Flexible Service System (FSS or FSS Plus): USA vehicles starting model year 1998. Dealers generally use Mobil 1 0W-40 and that's what I'd recommend. You can get it at AutoZone or some Walmarts.

If you are in Europe and have a particulate filter, use the MB sheet 229.31 approved oils; LA "low ash" Oils

If you are in Europe and do not have a particulate filter, use the MB sheet 229.5 approved oils; "MB Longlife Service Oils"

Did you get an actual message saying you were a quart low?
Old 04-03-2005, 12:06 PM

06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
You MUST use 0W40 because the engine has a very fast start-up and it will wear unusually fast if you use a higher viscosity oil. The reason is that when you start-up, for an instant, you have oil starvation. The thicker the oil, the slower it will fill the bearing surfaces with oil.

Having said that.....

If you live in the southern US and your start-up temperatures are never that low, then you can get away with a 10W50 BUT it is not recommended by Benz.

The other side benefit is that you get a bit higher mileage with the thinner oil. Nothing special, about a 1% difference.

The current specs are 229.5. I use Mobil 1. I also have a CDI.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:24 PM
LAH
Almost a Member!

2005 E 320 CDI
Thank you.....I am still a bit leary about the electronic measurement. If I were a quart down, I would have thought I would have gotten a warning message. I have verified the measurement several times, and it keeps coming up a quart down. Electronics are great, but for this I would rather have a dip stick.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:30 PM
LAH
Almost a Member!

2005 E 320 CDI
I checked the oil level one last time before going out to get a quart and it check ok. Now the car has not moved and it had not run and it checked down a quart 3 times and now ok 2 times. This must be another one of those quality defects. Does anyone have any idea what may be going on?
Old 04-03-2005, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by LAH
Thank you.....I am still a bit leary about the electronic measurement. If I were a quart down, I would have thought I would have gotten a warning message. I have verified the measurement several times, and it keeps coming up a quart down. Electronics are great, but for this I would rather have a dip stick.
If you did not get a message then don't add oil. The worst thing you can do is overfill the crankcase.

What was the actual measurement? Was it under 7 quarts? Was your car level when you took the measurement?
Old 04-03-2005, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by LAH
I checked the oil level one last time before going out to get a quart and it check ok. Now the car has not moved and it had not run and it checked down a quart 3 times and now ok 2 times. This must be another one of those quality defects. Does anyone have any idea what may be going on?
Please add your location to your Profile so we know where you live.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by LAH
You can get an exact reading by.....(I am doing this by memory)......

1. Turn on the ignition switch to the first position.

2. From your steering wheel inputs find the oil level.

3. Depress the reset button three times. The one that is on the left side, just in front of the instrument pod.

You will see some unfamiliar information on your instrument display.

4. Turn ifnition key to the second position. Look at the bottom of the display and within 10 sec you will have an exact reading..

Also, if you leave it there, you will find that it will give you the oil level as you drive. Do not be alarmed if you see 5 liters. The engine floods oil everywhere and it takes about two liters to cover the surgaces and make it's way down the galleries.

Again, I am doing this by memory and I will be going out in a short while. If I am wrong about these instruction, I will change them.

If you are changing the oil yourself, you will need some special equipmant. Mercedes dos NOT change it's oil from under the car. They vacuum it out. You need a heavy duty vacuum tank but it only costs a few hundred dollars. It makes it a much cleaner way to change your oil. In fact, if you wear plastic disposable gloves, you can change the oil in a suit and tie.

Search back into the archives. There are several threads about changing your oil.

Last edited by Spartan; 04-03-2005 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by BudC
If you did not get a message then don't add oil. The worst thing you can do is overfill the crankcase.

What was the actual measurement? Was it under 7 quarts? Was your car level when you took the measurement?
The electronic measurments are fine. They just take a bit of "trick" and getting use to them.

When I changed my oil, it read 7 liters down to a quarter of a liter (residual oil left in the pan). After that, it gave me consistent reading since May of last year.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:36 PM
LAH
Almost a Member!

2005 E 320 CDI
Thank you for all the help, but I have not been able to follow the directions above and find the exact oil measurement. I am able to get to the service menu by pressing the reset button 3 times while the key is in the 1 position, but I could not find an oil reading anywhere. What am I missing?
Old 04-03-2005, 01:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by LAH
Thank you for all the help, but I have not been able to follow the directions above and find the exact oil measurement. I am able to get to the service menu by pressing the reset button 3 times while the key is in the 1 position, but I could not find an oil reading anywhere. What am I missing?
It's a little line at the bottom of a page containing software versions. When you start, it will read something like "--.- Qts", then the numbers will fill in in a few seconds.

I'm a little concerned that my dealer might not be using the right grade. I had a leaking oil sender at 2400 miles. They replaced it, and replaced the oil, but no new filter is listed on the work order.

The part number for the "MOBIL1 SYN OIL" is "5-40D", which sounds more like Delvac than SuperSyn European 0W40", which is what I think they're supposed to be using. I'm calling my service advisor on Monday to ask, and to ask why they didn't change the filter when they changed the oil.

Last edited by pa28pilot; 04-03-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by LAH
This is from another poster. Note that you do not have to start the car. You should just turn the key to position 2 in Step 5.

1. Insert key to position 1. (Must be taken out and reinserted if you have been driving).
2. Select standard display in MFD ie Temp/digi speed
3. Press the reset button at left side of cluster 3 times in quick succesion.
4. You will now see current battery voltage ie UB 13.9
5. Press up arrow on steering wheel. This takes you to some stats inc SW version. Note engine oil level at bottom. You will need to start engine for this to register. Contrary to the normal way to check oil, you will get a more accurate reading by this method with a COLD engine.
6. If you press the up arrow again you get the VIN number
7. Press it again you get some dyno setting (WTF that?)
8. Press it again it takes you into a service menu. WATCH WHAT YOU ARE DOING IN HERE AS YOU MAY CANCEL A REQUIRED SERVICE ITEM IN ERROR.

YOU CAN DRIVE THE CAR IN THIS MODE AND WATCH THE SUMP OIL LEVEL FLUCTUATE. HOWEVER, BE WARY AS I UNDERSTAND THAT IN THIS MODE THINGS LIKE BAS, ESP ETC ARE DISABLED!!!!

To get back to normal just take the key out again.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:00 PM
LAH
Almost a Member!

2005 E 320 CDI
I did a search and found the following instructions to check the oil:

1. Insert key to position 1. (Must be taken out and reinserted if you have been driving).
5. Press up arrow on steering wheel. This takes you to some stats inc SW version. Note engine oil level at bottom. You will need to start engine for this to register. Contrary to the normal way to check oil, you will get a more accurate reading by this method with a COLD engine.

When I started the engine the oil immediately read 5.7qts. and as I let the engine run it dropped to 3.7 qts. after running it for a couple of minutes. Not sure what this really means. Am I in the right spot to really measure how much oil is in the car?
Thank you
Old 04-03-2005, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by LAH
I did a search and found the following instructions to check the oil:

When I started the engine the oil immediately read 5.7qts. and as I let the engine run it dropped to 3.7 qts. after running it for a couple of minutes. Not sure what this really means. Am I in the right spot to really measure how much oil is in the car?
Thank you

Read my post above. Do not start the engine, turn the key to position 2 when you are ready to check the level. Running the engine won't tell you a thing. You want to know how much oil is in the crankcase with the engine turned off.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:10 PM
LAH
Almost a Member!

2005 E 320 CDI
OK, I got it....it measured 5.7 qts. The engine is cold and on flat surface. What level should it be?
Thank you
Old 04-03-2005, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by LAH
OK, I got it....it measured 5.7 qts. The engine is cold and on flat surface. What level should it be?
Thank you
If you have an E320 CDI, then I believe that the engine holds 8.0 quarts of oil. 5.7 is low.

I have an E320 with 6,600 miles on it. It takes 8.5 quarts of oil and is currently around 7.6 quarts.

Have you ever had an oil change? If so, how many miles since it was changed?

If you have not had an oil change, how many miles on the car?

Are you in the U.S.?
Old 04-03-2005, 02:37 PM
LAH
Almost a Member!

2005 E 320 CDI
The car is a CDI, so it does sound low. I have never changed the oil and I have about 7K miles. I live in North Carolina. Now I am really puzzed on what to do. Reading the oil the way they tell us to, the level is ok, but reading the actual measure it shows low. Which one do you believe? I really question how well these electronics work if I can be this low and the standard way of measuring says the oil level is ok. Something has got to be wrong.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:42 PM
LAH
Almost a Member!

2005 E 320 CDI
This is amazing. I went out to check it again. The quantity said 5.8 qts. I then decided to check it the standard way, and it said to add a quart. Now I have not started the car since the last reading where it said it was ok. Sounds like I should add a quart.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by LAH
This is amazing. I went out to check it again. The quantity said 5.8 qts. I then decided to check it the standard way, and it said to add a quart. Now I have not started the car since the last reading where it said it was ok. Sounds like I should add a quart.
Yup, sounds like you need to add a quart. I also wonder why your engine used so much oil in 7K miles. I know that Mercedes puts light weight oil in at the factory so maybe you'll get better mileage with 0W-40.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:41 PM
LAH
Almost a Member!

2005 E 320 CDI
Thank you for your help. I added a quart and it measured up a quart, so it appear that the measurement is correct. I am going to look into moving to the 0W-40, since I think I should be getting better milage.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:43 PM

LAH,

I modified the original post but it seems that others already helped you out. Good stuff.

As for the "official" amount of oil, check your owners manual. I have about 11,000 on my CDI and the oil level readings are relatively accurate. In fact, I never knew my oil level through a dipstick the way I know about it now.

As far as having 5.7 quarts with 7,000 miles, well, it sounds a bit low. As far as I know, the MB fills the engines automatically at the factory so it should be at the regular level. It sounds that you are using a bit too much oil BUT do not be alarmed. Engine oil rings take a while to break in and after 13-15,000 it should stabilize.

However.....keep an eye on it.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:08 PM
LAH
Almost a Member!

2005 E 320 CDI
OK, I will watch it. Thank you
Old 04-03-2005, 10:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Is there no drain plug in the oil pan?

Did I just buy a car that has to go to the dealer or use a Vacuum Pump?

If I buy said vacuum pump, will it work on my other jalopies?
Old 04-03-2005, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
You should be able to change the oil by draining if from the crankcase just like we always did. You'll have to remove the encapsulation panel.

Since you haven't got a dip stick, I would go carefully when adding oil. I think the CDI takes 8 quarts so you might want to add 7 1/2 quarts and then check it to see where you're at.

You may have to go to the dealer to get the oil filter kit. It doesn't seem to be available from Internet sources for the CDI.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by cdiken
Did I just buy a car that has to go to the dealer or use a Vacuum Pump?

If I buy said vacuum pump, will it work on my other jalopies?

You do not have to go to the dealer as another poster already said. Mind you, I have an vacuum tank so I do not know how much work is involved to get to the drain plug.

Yes, if you have a vacuum pump, you can use it on other cars. In fact, I use it on my lift trucks.

Usually, the vacuum tanks also come with additional tubes so you can fit it in other cars.

The CDI has a built in tube that extends all the way to the bottom of the sump. When you go to the dealer, he hooks up the vacuum fitting which is about 2 inches long. While the oil is pumped out, he does whatever other work the car requires. IF the dealer shop is a crooked, they will CHARGE you the book time of the oil change AND whatever other work they do. The hook up takes 10 seconds and another 10 seconds to disconnect.

Here is what a vacuum tank looks like.

One think I keep forgetting to mention. You also need a compressor to make it work. The vacuum is created by the rushing air of the compressor. Ventury effect, if that means anything.

By the way, that price in Northern Tools is a complete rip-off. I bought it for $120 on sale locally. THE SAME UNIT but in red color!

Last edited by Spartan; 04-04-2005 at 08:36 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: CDI Engine Oil Viscosity