E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

seat belt for E500 2005

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seat belt for E500 2005

just got an 2005 E500, if you don't wear a sit belt it keeps beeping. Anyone knows how to turn it off or ways around it?
Does anyone know if iPod could be integrated with that model?
Thanks in advance
Old 04-07-2005, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
there seems to be no way around the seat belt warning other than to fasten the belt and siton it. Yes, there is an I Pod kit from MB that should work with your 05
Old 04-07-2005, 07:42 PM

17 E220D, 11 E350 CDI(sold), 06 CLS320 CDI (sold), 05 Cadillac DeVille (gone), 04 E320 CDI (sold)
The dealer turned off the reminder in my 03 model.

I think they have changed the default setting for the US to be the same as the rest of the world, but it can probably still be disabled via the dealer diagnostic computer.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by johna1
The dealer turned off the reminder in my 03 model.

I think they have changed the default setting for the US to be the same as the rest of the world, but it can probably still be disabled via the dealer diagnostic computer.
The 05's I am told are a bit different and it cannot be turned off.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
Originally Posted by zevik
just got an 2005 E500, if you don't wear a sit belt it keeps beeping. Anyone knows how to turn it off or ways around it?
Thanks in advance
You might consider getting the iPod kit and then fastening your seatbelt and listening to your music. Seriously, why would you not want to wear a seatbelt? Trying to hurt yourself?
Old 04-08-2005, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
You just paid all that money for one of the safest cars in the world... and now you want to know how not to be inconvenienced about the seat belt warning because you don't want to wear it????
Old 04-08-2005, 01:00 PM

thank you for the only useful reply. I'll try talking to a dealer.

Trending Topics

Old 04-08-2005, 01:13 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
The replies were all useful. Useful information isn't just what you want to hear; it can also be what you need to hear. Look, even if you've got too much attitude to use seat belts yourself, at least make sure your passengers use them.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:24 PM

the question was how to turn it off, not an opinion poll whether u should wear it or not. That's all. So dear DWP worry about yourself make sure you are using the seat belt and that your passengers are.
Thank u SOSH and Johna1 for the replies that actually answered my question.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:20 PM
X72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honda Accord
zevik, I agree with you. Feel free not to wear your seat belt. I think it is a bad idea to smoke cigarettes too, but it is a free country.

Anyway, life is funny and I think you have picked a car that will force you to wear the seat belt, sell the car, or you yourself are going to have to figure out how to diable the beeping. Maybe if you could physically locate where the sound emanates from, you could simply destroy the sound source (cut wire, break speaker).

I remember reading somewhere online that in order to receive the Highest possible safety rating in Europe (the 5 star NCAP rating or something like that), the car has to be equipped with a persistent seat belt warning tone.

Definitely try the dealer. Don't hold your breath, though. We live in Liability Land. Do you think that the dealer or the manufacturer is going to assume HUGE liability risk to satisfy you. What if you sell the car? That person (could be the 2nd owner, 3rd owner, etc.) could sue Mercedes for allowing "this important safety component" of the vehicle to be disabled. I can just hear the attorney, "John Smith would have worn the seat belt if the important safety component of the car, the warning tone, had not been disabled by Mercedes Benz. Because of Mercedes Benz's negligence, I feel that John Smith is entitled to 18 gazillion fazillion dollars."

Please let us know what you find out. Maybe whoever can install your iPod can disable the warning tone.

William
2003 E 320

Last edited by X72; 04-08-2005 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:13 PM

17 E220D, 11 E350 CDI(sold), 06 CLS320 CDI (sold), 05 Cadillac DeVille (gone), 04 E320 CDI (sold)
Several interesting points here.

The European new car assessment program (NCAP) does give extra points for having an intelligent seat belt reminder system. In fact, the 2 points the E got for this was what tipped it from a four star safety rating to a 5. BUT, they also suggest that the reminder system should be able to be disabled to avoid customer attempts to damage the system.

Simply fooling the system, for example by hardwiring the buckle to always think it is done up, is actually working against you. If the car knows that you are not wearing your belt, then the other safety systems will behave differently, e.g. the airbags will deploy at a lower speed and more aggressively. You will lose the chance of this if the car does not realise the belt is unfastened.

Also, if the belt is not fastened then the pre tensioners will not fire, which saves on repair costs afterwards.

I think that it should be a matter of choice whether to wear a belt or not. I do not think the car should try to force you to wear it.

The are supposed to be three settings in the computer for the reminder, which are (or were), Euro (continuous signalling - yuck), US (chime briefly), Off (no warning). I still think the most likely thing is that US cars are being shipped with the reminder set to Euro, and that it can be unset.

Good luck.

Here is a link to a similar discussion on the C Class forum, where they actually explain how to disable the reminder (on a C of course).

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...light=seatbelt
Old 04-09-2005, 04:24 AM

2005 e500 (sold)
defective sensor in passenger seat?

My less than week old '05 E500 did the same seat belt reminder chime thing. It was a faulty sensor that makes it think someone is sitting in the passenger seat.

I'm glad they replaced whatever they did. Even if they disabled the chime, the blinking seatbelt light would bug me.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:51 AM
X72

Honda Accord
Thanks johna1 for your intelligent and informative post!! Thanks for correcting the information in my post!

I am curious to know if zevik's car does have a defective sensor or if it is set to the euro setting. I am also curious to know if the dealership will change the setting.

By the way, here is my disclaimer; I recommend that everyone wear the age appropriate an legally mandated safety restraint at all times when in any motor vehicle and also should in no way tamper with the safety systems (including the seat belt reminder warning system) of the motor vehicle.

If I were Mercedes, I would leave it set to the Euro setting. I can just see someone sueing Mercedes, using their own internal studies as well as the European regulators information against Mercedes which document that a higher percentage of people wear seat belts when the warning tone is continuous.

William
2003 E320
Old 04-09-2005, 01:54 PM

Porsche Cayenne S, MB E430, & M3
Originally Posted by zevik
Thanks in advance

cut the buckle and put it in the insertion case, so it won't buzz.
and you will never have to worry about wearking seatbelt in ur life.
lol
Old 04-09-2005, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Several interesting points here.

The European new car assessment program (NCAP) does give extra points for having an intelligent seat belt reminder system. In fact, the 2 points the E got for this was what tipped it from a four star safety rating to a 5. BUT, they also suggest that the reminder system should be able to be disabled to avoid customer attempts to damage the system.

Simply fooling the system, for example by hardwiring the buckle to always think it is done up, is actually working against you. If the car knows that you are not wearing your belt, then the other safety systems will behave differently, e.g. the airbags will deploy at a lower speed and more aggressively. You will lose the chance of this if the car does not realise the belt is unfastened.

Also, if the belt is not fastened then the pre tensioners will not fire, which saves on repair costs afterwards.

I think that it should be a matter of choice whether to wear a belt or not. I do not think the car should try to force you to wear it.

The are supposed to be three settings in the computer for the reminder, which are (or were), Euro (continuous signalling - yuck), US (chime briefly), Off (no warning). I still think the most likely thing is that US cars are being shipped with the reminder set to Euro, and that it can be unset.

Good luck.

Here is a link to a similar discussion on the C Class forum, where they actually explain how to disable the reminder (on a C of course).

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...light=seatbelt
I checked a 2005 car (just a few minutes ago) and it actually has a setting for NCAP/USA. So the US cars now get an NCAP equivalent.

-s-
Old 04-09-2005, 04:42 PM

Ah, but does it have a setting for 'off'? What choices are there?
Old 04-09-2005, 04:48 PM

Chance for a rant!

I can't understand why the NCAP includes points for a seatbelt reminder. Cars can get up to 3 points for this, which is a significant amount in the total that determines how many stars they get.

BUT, the reminder itself contributes nothing to how safe you will be in an accident. For example the E Class with the reminder is a five star car, but without it, is only 4.

So, if I disable the reminder (which I have), then am I only driving a 4 star car? But if I am wearing my belt then how is it any less safe then a car without the disabled reminder.

I think they have confused and muddied the criteria by introducing points for a non crash related feature. They may as well add points for a good looking car, or points for fuel economy.

I think the crash test results should only reflect how well the car performs in a crash and not add political and nannying requirements to try to force manufacturers down a path.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:59 PM

2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Salvage Yard

Go to a salvage yard with a pair of scissors.

Cut the buckle out of similiar style seat belt and plug it into the seat belt socket in your car.

Another neat trick is to cut 1/2 the butt off of your cigarrettes. You get more of the goods that way. If you are a real man, just break off the entire cigarrette butt.

And remember, never wear a helmet when you race motorcycles, the extra wing drag could be the difference between 1st or 2nd place.

KB
Old 04-11-2005, 11:49 AM
X72

Honda Accord
Chance for a rant!

I can't understand why the NCAP includes points for a seatbelt reminder.
Nice to know that there are some Libertarians out there who like to rant.

You know the answer to your question has more to do with human nature; the wanting to avoid responsibility and the desire to shift blame off oneself. The politicians then get to say how they are making us "safer."

If you haven't read John Stossel's book, Give Me a Break, then I suggest you avoid it because you will find many other topics to make you want to rant. John Stossel is a television reporter here in the US.
William
2003 E 320
Old 04-13-2005, 01:18 PM

well now i can say for sure it has a defective sensor. As of today it beeps all the time regardless if u put a seat belt or not. If you let it go, it stops beeping after about 5 minutes and it's quiet for awhile and then it starts again.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:26 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
For those wondering if you can turn off the seat belt chime on an 05 E-class..

You can.

I handed my dealer the instructions and expected them to just make it the "Rest of the world setting", as I just didnt want this thing to continually beep. One warning was enough.

They however turned it off entirely. They asked me to sign the order to confirm the change, but that was it.

Any dealer saying they cant change the 2005's (which are the only ones that CONTINUALLY beep) is lying through their teeth or is just plain lazy. I had one of them too, so I know.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:55 PM

what are the instructions? can you give them to me so i can take it to dealer.
thanks!
Old 04-19-2005, 07:05 PM

Thank you. The setting that you send me does work and turns off the seat belt beeping sound.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:24 PM

2005 e500 (sold)
Zev, but that would suck if they just disabled chime and not fixed...

the actual problem in your car. If they just disabled it, the seatbelt light would still come on. What happens when you sell the car later and it's out of warranty? It's something small, but I would notice it.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:58 AM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by moocowman
the actual problem in your car. If they just disabled it, the seatbelt light would still come on. What happens when you sell the car later and it's out of warranty? It's something small, but I would notice it.
It depends if he turned it off for a problem or because we dont want to hear it when we have our seatbelts off. The instructions turn both the light and the chime off if changed to the OFF setting.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: seat belt for E500 2005