E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Black Box data recorder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by Otto
This black box is used in Europe for a while, when I was in Italy in 1997 (with a tour), police pulled over our tour bus and asked driver for driving data from the black box after that the bus driver got a speeding ticket.
Hi otto,
If you read my contribution you will see that the officer would have inspected the tachograph to check that the driver had not exceeded his driving hours and would have pointed out the indicated speed of the bus just prior to being stopped. However the card would merely corroborate the Police officers own speed assessment of the bus.

The driver would have been reported for speeding either by being followed by the police vehicle, or by being caught going through a speed trap (radar, truevelo, etc) The tachograph does not indicate the speed limit of the actual road. Both buses and heavy goods vehicles have speed limiters which prevent them from exceeding their relevant national speed limit.

John
Old 04-21-2005, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Pretty soon we will be like the airlines with mandated Flight data recorders that provide all perameters of the vehicle all the time and CVR's which are ****pit voice recorders that record a half hour of the voices in the ****pit. I lived with them for years and the CVR's were the most annoying to me but a piece of chewing gum over the microphone cures that problem. Now, the latest generation of aircraft even transmit back to company any in flight malfunctions of equipment.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:14 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Originally Posted by sosh
... and CVR's which are ****pit voice recorders that record a half hour of the voices in the ****pit. ...
You're not allowed to say "coск" here. :v
Old 04-23-2005, 11:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by sosh
Pretty soon we will be like the airlines with mandated Flight data recorders that provide all perameters of the vehicle all the time and CVR's which are ****pit voice recorders that record a half hour of the voices in the ****pit. I lived with them for years and the CVR's were the most annoying to me but a piece of chewing gum over the microphone cures that problem. Now, the latest generation of aircraft even transmit back to company any in flight malfunctions of equipment.
Q: What's the last thing you usually hear on a CVR recovered from a crash site?
A: "Watch this!"

So what kind of equipment were you flying?

I bit the bullet and bought a car with Tele-Aid, despite misgivings, and evidence that the platform (or one just like it) has already been surreptitiously used for U.S. Government surveillance of a suspect.

I'm now wrestling with whether to buy a transponder for the plane that will give me traffic information displays, but at the price of squawking my government-assigned ID while in use. I don't have any a priori reason to want to hide anything, but I can't deny that this continuing pull between safety enhancements and surveillance enablers makes me really uneasy.

I just hope that we can someday have a real public policy debate that isn't just driven by some poor child accident victim or another kneejerk-provoking event. Otherwise we'll discover too late that all of these data are fair game for whomever wants them.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
I find all this 'conspiracy\surveillance 'big brother' talk really amusing, especially in the age of the mobile telephone!!!!!

Why aren't we all screaming about government agents locked in little rooms keeping tabs on all of us by monitoring the mobile phone signal?

How sad though to spend even one minute of a very valuable day worrying about who is monitoring your movements.

Regards,
John