E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

tire pressure monitor-outside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tire pressure monitor-outside

autozone has these caps that screw on the stems and are set for 32 or 36 psi and they just stay up when the pressure is normal and show a green color. Really quick to see. I keep 38 in the front and 35 in rear and the monitor doesn't seem to mind. At one time, when I didn't screw it on tightly enough the pressure dropped to 26 and the little pop up went down, as promised.
I would not take bets on the parking lot longevity of these things. The color catches the eye. 10 bucks.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:02 PM
X72

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord
Have had bad experience with those screw on the valve stem monitors on another car. Would develop pinhole leaks. Next thing you know, the tire is down on the rim. The source of the leak was the device. Also susceptible to being damaged by a curb.

My car's TPM system is my observation of the tires often as well as checking the pressure often. Agree that TPM is great and we will be seeing a lot more cars with this, since most people are oblivious to the condition of their tires, and more cars will be equipped with runflats that must have a direct TPM system. An instrument cluster warning of low tire pressure is a significant safety advance.
William
2003 E 320
Old 04-15-2005, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tpm outside leaks

yea, verily. there was a crack in the plastic cap on one external monitor which was picked up by the internal tpm at 28 psi. you could feel the air coming out through a little hole, probably from a stone cracking the plastic. I still like the way they look, but I expect to lose them fairly some to either the road or kids.