E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

what is the latest version of command software?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211 cdi 2005
what is the latest version of command software?

I have a 2005 w211 cdi (3/04) build. My command says that I have "sw ver. HU: 32/2003."

My car just will not play mp3's. I have the dvd player for the single slot according to the menu. I've tried every trick I have learned on this forum for burning mp3 and tried every brand of dvd and cd. My assumption is that it is just a software thing.

Other details: no nav. do have HK stereo

I am greatful for any help.

For the record. Car is one year old and not one problem otherwise. (knock on wood).

chemo
sbarron@jam.rr.com
Old 04-16-2005, 01:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by chemo
My command says that I have "sw ver. HU: 32/2003." My car just will not play mp3's.
Check out this thread that dates back to AUG04. Apparently there is a software upgrade for the single slot in COMAND to allow for mp3 playback. Of course you should already have this software/capability but believe it or not vehicles are delivered months after updates are issued without the upgrade.

Separately, concerning the 6-disc changer; in order to have mp3 playback capability your car should have a data drive player (part # 6-7-82-4059) the previous player was an audio drive (part # 6-7-82-4060).

Basically a visit to your dealer is needed to verify your software and need to update.

Retrieved info from: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ght=data+drive

Last edited by konigstiger; 04-16-2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
I have a 2005 w211 cdi (3/04) build. My command says that I have "sw ver. HU: 32/2003."

My car just will not play mp3's. I have the dvd player for the single slot according to the menu. I've tried every trick I have learned on this forum for burning mp3 and tried every brand of dvd and cd. My assumption is that it is just a software thing.

Other details: no nav. do have HK stereo

I am greatful for any help.

For the record. Car is one year old and not one problem otherwise. (knock on wood).

chemo
sbarron@jam.rr.com
Morning chemo,
It is always a very good idea to have your country of origin in your description 'thingie' as different countries have different options.

As konigstiger has already explained, only the very latest E-class will play Mp3's from the CD Changer. If yours does not play them then you will need to purchase the latest Changer as already mentioned.

Personally I feel it a waste of money as a DVD in the single slot will contain more music than having six CD's of Mp3 music in the CD changer?

Unfortunately again I think it is only the newer US models that can play DVD's in the single slot?? (can they only play music files?)

Take care,
John

A nice sunny cool morning on the English Riviera
Old 04-16-2005, 06:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E63
I have a 2005 E500 build 1/05 with command and navigation. I am in the U.S. I have not been able to play dvd mp3s or dvd movies in the single slot even after the 357 trick and changing keyboard to 211 ece. I do not believe I have a dvd player in the single slot but rather just a cd player. Sucks for me since putting 4.7 gbs on a dvd would allow me to have so much more mp3s. Oh well. Still love the car.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:50 PM

w211 cdi 2005
sorry, my car is in USA

as pointed out, I neglected to list country of residence.

chemo
Old 04-16-2005, 10:55 PM

w211 cdi 2005
who said anything about a changer?

why do I need a changer?

my car has the dvd player already when i check the menu using end+mute+serv (I think that is what I pressed).

chemo
Old 04-17-2005, 03:55 PM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
Originally Posted by gdestiny
I have a 2005 E500 build 1/05 with command and navigation. I am in the U.S. I have not been able to play dvd mp3s or dvd movies in the single slot even after the 357 trick and changing keyboard to 211 ece. I do not believe I have a dvd player in the single slot but rather just a cd player.
The MP3 files need to be burned to the DVD as ISO data files. I now have my entire CD collection (~200 CDs) on three DVDs, and it works very well. Your's should too. However, the USA-spec COMAND systems won't natively display video DVDs.

Search the forum on "MP3" or "DVD" for much more info.

Good luck.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:12 PM

Tesla
I also haven't had any luck playing mp3 burned on DVD in my 05. Somebody made a good suggestion to insert an original pressed (not burned) movie DVD and see if any audio gets played. As soon as I did that I get a disc error, just the same as if I used DVD+R/RW or DVD-R/RW. So I am fairly certain the COMAND in my car does NOT have a DVD drive.

mp3 plays fine on CD though, both in the single slot and 6 disc changer.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by steph280
I also haven't had any luck playing mp3 burned on DVD in my 05. Somebody made a good suggestion to insert an original pressed (not burned) movie DVD and see if any audio gets played. As soon as I did that I get a disc error, just the same as if I used DVD+R/RW or DVD-R/RW. So I am fairly certain the COMAND in my car does NOT have a DVD drive.

mp3 plays fine on CD though, both in the single slot and 6 disc changer.
Good morning Stephen,
Forgive me if I am reading your message wrong.

Are you saying you are trying to play a DVD in the dedicated Navigation slot?

If the answer is yes then I would suggest you might be putting it in the wrong 'slot'.

The single 'CD' slot is where we Europeans with the Multi-CD option play our DVD's. The bit in the back is for the navigational software.

Please feel free anyone to correct me here as I have an estate car which 'might' be different.

Regards,
John

A very wet morning in Torquay
Old 04-19-2005, 11:38 AM

Tesla
I am putting the DVD in the COMAND headunit above the display screen. Not the map DVD drive in the trunk. That is where I put in the CD and it plays fine.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:45 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by gdestiny
I have a 2005 E500 build 1/05 with command and navigation. I am in the U.S. I have not been able to play dvd mp3s or dvd movies in the single slot even after the 357 trick and changing keyboard to 211 ece. I do not believe I have a dvd player in the single slot but rather just a cd player. Sucks for me since putting 4.7 gbs on a dvd would allow me to have so much more mp3s. Oh well. Still love the car.
Here's a little trick I learned recently to help you figure out which you have:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....93&postcount=8
Old 04-24-2005, 04:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pa28pilot
Here's a little trick I learned recently to help you figure out which you have:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....93&postcount=8

Morning,
I really enjoy reading all the messages on this forum and try to keep abreast of the different options that are available to different countries.

I find it amazing that the US has gone from a DVD single slot to a CD?? That sounds very retro and totally out of sync with everyone else.

I hate to say this but the majority of problems with writing Mp3's is simply down to the way they are wrote.

I for one learnt the hard way and got through a number of DVD's before getting it right. I have also had the priviledge of helping a number of members World wide, who have experienced hte frustration of the DVD player not recognizing the Mp3's.

My advice therefore is to check first of all with the dealership to make sure your specific model is capable of playing Mp3's. If the answer is 'Yes' then bite the bullet, swallow the pride and ask for advice. Do not put blinkers on and say, "That's exactly what I'm doing." Once you have done it once then it's like riding a bike....... dead easy.

I have absolutely no experience of COMAND system's that does not have navigation capability so none of my remarks apply to this option. (unavailable in Europe for the 211)

Regards,
John

A wet, cool misty morning in Torquay
Old 04-25-2005, 07:28 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 W169 A150
Originally Posted by steph280
I am putting the DVD in the COMAND headunit above the display screen. Not the map DVD drive in the trunk. That is where I put in the CD and it plays fine.
Note also this comparison of the US and Euro COMAND systems:

http://www.mbenznl.com/products/w211comands.shtml

where it says that some US COMAND units have DVD, and some only have CD. It's also noted that the reason for this seems to be that MB didn't want to offer video for the US units, and so the DVD drive isn't really needed. Euro COMANDs are designed for video, and so a DVD drive makes more sense.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:20 AM

w211 cdi 2005
best way to tell what you have

hit serv+end+mute at the same time. Scoll down this menu and it will tell you what you have, dvd or cd.

No magic tricks needed.

chemo
Old 04-25-2005, 09:41 PM

2007 E63
hit serv+end+mute at the same time. Scoll down this menu and it will tell you what you have, dvd or cd.

No magic tricks needed.

chemo
Hi Chemo,

I got to the engineering menu and really could not find where it definitively says if I have a dvd or cd drive. The best indication was in Devices sub menu and then components. There all I see is CD Drive:
There is nothing after the colon. Can you elaborate on where in the menu it says you have a dvd drive? Thanks.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:07 PM

w211 cdi 2005
gdestiny, your answer

gdestiny,

go to the menu and find DEVICES and hit the corresponding button.

Under DEVICES "DVD CAN" should be listed. Select that and there you go.

The original link can be found by searching "end serv mute"

Let me know how it works.

chemo
Old 04-25-2005, 11:52 PM

2007 E63
Thanks chemo. Your posts helped a lot. After reading through the first end serv mute topic and with chemos post, I have determined that I do not have the dvd drive. It says under devices, drive and can instead of dvd and can. When I go into the submenu it just says cd rom, doesnt even tell me what model cd rom drive I have. Well now I know for sure. Took a while but its good to know. Now I can stop going crazy with all the secret menus trying to get dvd mp3s to work.