E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Diesel Mileage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Diesel Mileage

I have a little more than 11,000 miles on the odometer on my E320 CDI. On the highway I usually average 34 mpg and around town, it is close to 30. Since this is close to the EPA ratings, I never griped. However, since the day I bought it, I found the diesel odor sometimes overpowering, particularly after parking it in my garage. I recently noticed a pool of viscous liquid underneath the engine block where I park in my garage. I put some kitty litter down to soak it up.

While in the shop yesterday for an unrelated service matter, my dealer noticed that the fuel line was leaking diesel and he replaced the clamp and steamed my engine. He told me that the only other diesel they service (we are in California and only used cars are allowed to be sold here) also had the same problem.

Did I miss I recall notification? I wonder if my mileage will improve now that I am not leaking diesel fuel. I can tell you my garage smells a whole lot better.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:26 PM

2011 E350 Bluetec
I had the exact same problem with my 05 cdi at 17K miles. The dealer replaced the fuel hoses and clamps. They also replaced the top water hose and fan belt since they got splashed with fuel. This seems like a common problem so I wonder if we'll have to go through this every few thousand miles or if they installed improved clamps.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Has your fuel filter been replaced?

The original filter is secured with hefty looking clamps, attached with a special tool.

Is the dealer perhaps using regular hose clamps?

The design of the filter is stupid, on top of the engine and attached with rubber hoses over top of flared steel hoses. Looks rather "Briggs and Stratton" compared to the rest of the car.

KB
Old 04-30-2005, 10:58 AM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Stocking up on the real clamps

My dealer has stocked up on the real clamps. I think they are anticipating having to replace the fuel hoses often until a better fix is released by Mercedes.