Need Opinions On A New Set Of Michelins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build date 2-04 E500
Need Opinions On A New Set Of Michelins

Just turned 18,000 miles on my 04 e500 w/ sport pkg and I'm in need of a new set of shoes. I've always been a little partial to Michilins and want another set. I live in a very ural area and travel very twisty roads daily so I need a tire that will hold up to hard cornering, but have a long tread life. The milage on these seem to be about average for the roads I drive but wanted to hear from anyone who can recommend a better Michelin that came stock on the car (michelin primacy)... Although these still show minimal tread life, the steel belts are just starting to show them selves on the outer edges... This seems to be the norm for every tire I've ever owned out where I live.
Thanks for any advise given...

Yes, this has been posted in the tire and wheel forum too....
Old 05-07-2005, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
I'm still using the Michelin Primacys. The car came with them on and at 17,000 I swapped them for goodyear's. I skinned them in a little over 10,000 so I'm back with the Michelin's, they grip well, their quiet and last ok.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:03 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Harley- I am running some Michelin Pilot Sports 255/40/17. They are real smooth and grip well on all surfaces. We have no ice here so hard to recommend on that basis. They been holding the balance job well and seem to be wearing ok. I run them at the suggested (gas cap) pressure and they are very quiet and smooth. I was running the Conti that were original Equip but was talked into these at the tire shop- The dealer also said they prefer these.

Hope the opinion is useful to you.

Mark
Old 05-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E500 Sport
Originally Posted by marksatex
I was running the Conti that were original Equip but was talked into these at the tire shop- The dealer also said they prefer these.

Mark
Do you prefer the Michelins, or the stock Contis? I run a staggered setup with Contis and think they perform well, but I'm always looking for something better.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Michelins generally have a nice hard rubber compound for maximum treadlife giving up a little grip in exchange, I love them & would no longer use anything else.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Michelins generally have a nice hard rubber compound for maximum treadlife giving up a little grip in exchange, I love them & would no longer use anything else.
This is about the same conclusion I have come to find with Michelins also, But always looking for something better within the brand.

Originally Posted by marksatex
Harley- I am running some Michelin Pilot Sports 255/40/17. They are real smooth and grip well on all surfaces. We have no ice here so hard to recommend on that basis. They been holding the balance job well and seem to be wearing ok. I run them at the suggested (gas cap) pressure and they are very quiet and smooth. I was running the Conti that were original Equip but was talked into these at the tire shop- The dealer also said they prefer these.

Hope the opinion is useful to you.

Mark
Are these the tires I'm reading about here that are giving some owners "pulling to the right" problems????
Old 05-08-2005, 11:30 AM

2003 E320
Well, I hate to be the person opposing everyone else but...

I bought my first set of Michelins for my new 1966 Mercedes 230SL and thought they were the most wonderful tire in the world. I can hardly believe I am writing this because for the past 40 years, I have been the Michelin advocate preaching the Michelin word.

But something happened in my last two or three sets of Michelins. They wore out too quickly and the handling was horrible, especially on my SLK230. So I sent an e-mail to Michelin. I got a computerized response saying they received my e-mail and never heard a word more from them.

So I put Bridgestones Potenzas on my SLK230 and could not believe the difference! I did not tell my wife but she came back after the first short drive asking "what did you do to my car? it drives great!". And the Bridgestones even have a 50,000 mile warranty that the Michelins did not have.

I have had them about six months and so far, everything is great but I guess only time will tell.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:15 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Red face

No drift here. Except when I doze off. Wear on my last 2 sets ( Truck type) on a Suburban -Michelin XLT LX or some such was over 70,000 each set. I also had a work truck with Bridgestones that did the same 70,000.
Some have a definitive preferance, I liked the Conti's but the price was right on the Pilots. I just bought a Toyota Seinna and they have some called "Poncerance" or such if I remember- Seem to ride real smooth..... Big tires !

I actually think most brands will do real well if you keep them rotated/inflated and balanced properly. You may have a preferance but most give good service and a long life if cared for properly- Same as the buggy we put them on.....

Can't say I took such good care of the driver in years past- So the creaks and groans now are a hold over from party days of the past.

Hope everyone is well
Old 05-09-2005, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Hell on a harley,
The Pilot sport A/S is the non-approved tire on MBs. The Pilot sport I think is an excellent tire, quiet, and good grip. You could also check out the pilot sport 2, I believe that is quieter than the original because it is not directional. Both of these tires are summer only tires and not meant for cold weather just fyi.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
The A/S on the E's are not suggested, as stated by AlBoston, and others on this forum. I have the tires myself, and they pull to the right, and in general, was a waste of money.

Now, I have heard lots of good things about the the summer Pilot Sports, even on E's.

If you need the all season capability, and are set on getting Michelins, than you need to get the Pilot Sports for summer, and get a winter tire.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:19 PM

Have you done a comparison on tirerack? I am using the Pirelli 245/40WR-18 PZero Nero M&S SL. They are great!
Old 05-09-2005, 05:58 PM

2003 E500
luxury1:

Ditto. Had them installed just last week. A great improvement over the Continentals, at least for my more moderate style of driving. Price was very competitive as well.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Sounds like I may give a second look at a set of Michelin pilot sport or 2's a try... I live in Northern california so do I really have to worry about cold weather???? Are these good for wet weather???

Anyone in my neck of the woods run these???
Old 05-09-2005, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Just went to tirerack and I think I'm going for the PS2's.....
Thanks all for your input....
Old 05-09-2005, 10:17 PM

2004 E500
Check Pirelli "P Zero Nero" tires. According to

the Tirerack's survey pages, they are supposedly phenomenal. Great handling, good tread wear and very quiet. The overall survey results are quite impressive.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by JWS3
the Tirerack's survey pages, they are supposedly phenomenal. Great handling, good tread wear and very quiet. The overall survey results are quite impressive.
Thanks for your input but you might want to check this tirerack comparison ratings chart..... It may suprise you....or may not.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP
Old 05-10-2005, 12:14 AM

2004 E500
Yes, the Pilots are quite good. But, I personally

Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Thanks for your input but you might want to check this tirerack comparison ratings chart..... It may suprise you....or may not.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP
would want a tire w/ greater tread life. The pilots seem to wear very, very quickly. They are also max performance summer, while the Pirelli Zero Nero's are more of a "high performance all season". In other words, they should handle a little less well, but last far longer. A direct comparison is tough as they are in different categories. A "9" in the max performance category is likely not the same as a "9" in the all season category. I would imagine buyers of each type have different expectations.
As an aside, I get a kick out of your sig pic- One doesn't usually see an MB with a Harley! Nice mix!
Old 05-10-2005, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
would want a tire w/ greater tread life. The pilots seem to wear very, very quickly. They are also max performance summer, while the Pirelli Zero Nero's are more of a "high performance all season".
Ahhhhh, I guess I'm comparing apple and oranges.... Didn't relize the perelli Zero Nero came in an "all season" also... Thanks again for your input.

As an aside, I get a kick out of your sig pic- One doesn't usually see an MB with a Harley! Nice mix!
Thanks..... The MB is my ol ladies, the hawg is mine.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Might I suggest some Bridgestone Turanza LS-V or LS-Z tires????? I would get these simply because they have a treadwear rating of 400 and have some amazing technology built into them. My brother-inlaw purchased the LS-Z tires for his MBZ and he said it transformed the car into a road handling beast. His E500 really performs well now over the stock Michelins that came on it. He has the same car as you HOH, but its straight Black on the outside. They have great hydroplaning resistance, dueal treadwear design, and they are very quiet, more quiet than my E350.

These tires should last you 40,000 miles with proper rotation and a PSI of 35 to 38 on all the tires. Besides they are pretty sticky tires and they are all season.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:35 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
Originally Posted by AlBoston
Hell on a harley,
The Pilot sport A/S is the non-approved tire on MBs. The Pilot sport I think is an excellent tire, quiet, and good grip. You could also check out the pilot sport 2, I believe that is quieter than the original because it is not directional. Both of these tires are summer only tires and not meant for cold weather just fyi.
Why are Pilot Sport A/S "not-approved"? Not approved by whom?
Old 05-11-2005, 05:42 PM

'06 SL65
I've had the PZero Neros for a year now (although I swap tires to Blizzaks in the winter) and they are very good. For best dry weather grip I would go with Michelin PS2s or PZero Rossos. My car is only an E500 so I went with Neros because it's an all season tire...not the best tire out there in dry or wet grip but does everything well. Had the Rossos in my previous car and dry traction is better than the Neros but slipping everywhere in wet roads.

Last edited by LIONHEAD; 05-11-2005 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by benzboy
Why are Pilot Sport A/S "not-approved"? Not approved by whom?
Supposedly their is a tracking issue where the car will drift to the right when these tires are used. I have never had a problem with these tires on my old W210 or my W211 E55. I don't know what the heck Mercedes is talking about. The tires are simply some of the best from Michelin.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
I have them, and they track to the right. A star bulletin exists concerning these tires, which basically says that the dealer should not fix any alignment issues gratis.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:13 PM

2003 E500
Since the car is your wife's, why not consider these Michelin's?

http://www.theonion.com/slideshow/in...e=6&issue=4119
Old 05-12-2005, 12:50 PM

11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
Originally Posted by rdtjr
Since the car is your wife's, why not consider these Michelin's?

http://www.theonion.com/slideshow/in...e=6&issue=4119
My, what a politically incorrect suggestion! My wife would make me sleep in the bath tub for a recommendation like that for her car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Opinions On A New Set Of Michelins