E350 7 speed violent downshift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E350 Wagon, 05 MINI Cooper S Convertible
E350 7 speed violent downshift

For those with the 2006 E350...is anyone experiencing the rough downshift to 2d gear when coming to a stop or slowing down in comfort mode? It's much worse if I put it in sport. I've read about it with the E320 but haven't heard anyone complain about it on the E350. I've got the problem and I'm not happy about it. I'm taking it in tomorrow, but fear the service guy won't do anything since when I mentioned it to him he didn't seem to know anything about a computer upgrade. He did say, after he drove it, "Das ist nicht gut!". I am also disappointed in my tires, I get a very annoying thump, thump when I am going about 20 mph, anyone else getting this with the appearance package tires (Pirelli 245/45 17)? If they can't get rid of the thump I may demand they change one tire at a time to find the culprit. I'm excited about this new car, but hope these annoying problems aren't a sign of things to come. One final note, I'm getting only about 18mpg with city driving...is that too low? I didn't get much more than 21 on a long trip; I did average 100mph for most of the trip.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rough downshift

Try getting them to change the transmission control unit (Getriebesteuergerät) and upgrading the transmission software.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by e350
For those with the 2006 E350...is anyone experiencing the rough downshift to 2d gear when coming to a stop or slowing down in comfort mode? It's much worse if I put it in sport. I've read about it with the E320 but haven't heard anyone complain about it on the E350.

Sorry to hear about your clearly unacceptable problems, but I am slighhtly confused.

You write about people experiencing this type of problem on the E320, but the gearbox is completely different. There should NOT be a 'rough downshift' on either model and it sounds like something is sticking?

Good luck getting it fixed,
John
Old 05-17-2005, 01:32 PM
Almost a Member!

06 E350 Wagon, 05 MINI Cooper S Convertible
Fixed the clunk and the thump (new tires)

Took the car in and they upgraded the trans software, seems to have done the trick. I may have been mistaken on the trans problem with the E320, it was probably the E500 I meant.

I've been complaining about my Pirelli tires for some time on this site, I was getting a thump...thump at about 20 mph, the MB guys put new Michelin Pilot Primacy tires on. Don't know if that's a good deal, the thump is gone, but I've read that these tires are very noisy. My problem now is that my tire pressure monitor doesn't work. When he switched the tires out, he put on a complete tire/rim set off a new car on their lot. If he put on rims from a car without TPMS will it matter. I get a message that says take it to the workshop. Not the "you need to reset" message. Does he need to give me my rims back in order for the TPMS to work. Just so you know, my Pirelli's had about 2000 miles on them and the rims were in perfect shape, no scratches what so ever. The tires he put on came off of a dealer car that had 1000KM and the rims also look good, but I did notice very small scratches on 2 of them. The only other grip I have is that these guys got my car really dirty inside. Right on the threshold of the doors, a very difficult place to keep clean anyway. I think I got it cleaned up, but will mention it to them when I go back. I spend way too much time keeping this thing clean to get it trashed in one visit to the MB service dept.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Your off back to the dealer I'm afraid. I'm amazed at how they have handled the 'thumping' issue. Your wheels had the tyre pressure equipment on them and 'if' the dealer thought they were contributing to the noise then the complete kit needed replacing, wheels and transmitters.

If he suspected the tyres were defective then you should have been given NEW tyres. The mileage issue is irrelevant, providing they accept the tyre\tyres were defective.

Mechanics scuffing their boots is a very common complaint unfortunately and really emphasis this when taking the car in for work. Tell them politely there were no greasy, oily scuff marks when it came in, and that is how you expect it to be, when it comes out.

Good luck with your complaints,
John
Old 05-17-2005, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
My E500 does the same thing. When I am in the car in the morning when I come to a stop the car downshifts very hard.

I have not had a chance to bring it back in to the dealership since I have been travelling but I think I may have to call them and see what they can do.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E500 Silver/Charcoal
downshifts

Bald Mike,
Let me know if you get it fixed. I'm in San Jose too, dont know which dealer to take it too. Beshoff already told me its normal over the phone.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:27 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
Exclamation

See the W209 section...coolant getting into the trans. which requires replacement of trans! The trans in the CLK is the same as the 211, TTBOMK