2-Questions if you please...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 04:07 PM
jef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320 Platinum Blue, 1998 SLK230 Black
2-Questions if you please...

2003 E320... purchased used from American Service Center in Arlington, VA January 2005, approx 40,000 miles.

1. I notice a significant lag time when engaging gears, especially from Drive to Reverse or Reverse to Drive. If I don't wait several seconds before I press the accelerator, the car will jerk quite significantly when the transmission finally engages... just doesn't seem right. Was wondering what others experience was.

2. I notice a weird buzzing noise from the engine compartment when I insert the key into the ignition switch. Before I even turn the key, I hear the noise. It's quite loud. The noise returns when I'm driving and stop at a light. After a few moments, it will stop as I'm sitting in the car. It's somewhat random. Anyone know what the noise is. I hear it sometimes when I shut the car off as well.

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2005, 05:38 PM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
My '05 takes its sweet time about engaging "D" or "R" from neutral. Probably 1.5 seconds go by, although it seems like more. I think that's just the nature of the beast.

I think the buzz you're hearing is the brake pump building pressure in the accumulator. Some noise is normal (my car does it too). However, I believe the '03s had some sort of a service campaign to quiet the process. Check with your dealer to see if you car has had the fix applied.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:08 PM
jef

2003 E320 Platinum Blue, 1998 SLK230 Black
Thanks.... I'm just about ready to take it in for service.. I'll ask about it.

What about the recall?
Old 05-25-2005, 09:27 PM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
Originally Posted by jef
Thanks.... I'm just about ready to take it in for service.. I'll ask about it.

What about the recall?
If you mean the massive recall DC announced several weeks ago, I know nothing about it. Sorry.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:45 PM

Angry Rad Shutter Noise

I am hoping someone can help me out. I have a 2003 E320, its in excellent shape. I love my car! However I noticed that when I took the Key out of the Ignition I heard a weird sound. I went to my dealer and they told me that they now what the problem is. I was told that the Front Rad shutters were on recall. I was told that they would be replaced by something else. I picked up my car yesterday and on the invoice it said "

"MIN MINOR REPAIR.... 1 604-070-02-55 RUBBER CAP"

""78903 RAD SHUTTERS ARE NOISEY. RE & RE FRONT BUMPER. RE & RE SHUTTER, REMOVED. PREFORMED TSB 985"

I don't think the shutters were replaced. I am not too happy about that!!!

Did anyone else have the same problem? How was it handled?
Old 03-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by jef
2003 E320... purchased used from American Service Center in Arlington, VA January 2005, approx 40,000 miles.

1. I notice a significant lag time when engaging gears, especially from Drive to Reverse or Reverse to Drive. If I don't wait several seconds before I press the accelerator, the car will jerk quite significantly when the transmission finally engages... just doesn't seem right. Was wondering what others experience was.

2. I notice a weird buzzing noise from the engine compartment when I insert the key into the ignition switch. Before I even turn the key, I hear the noise. It's quite loud. The noise returns when I'm driving and stop at a light. After a few moments, it will stop as I'm sitting in the car. It's somewhat random. Anyone know what the noise is. I hear it sometimes when I shut the car off as well.

Thanks!
Have your dealer check your VIN with VMI this should bring up ALL recalls and service campaigns that have not been applied to your vehicle. Also specifically request that all software systems be updated if need be (i.e.: ECU, AGW, etc.)

Transmission:

Mention DTB P-B-27.55/50f MAR06 Harsh engagement possibly followed by droning/buzzing noises during light acceleration between engine speeds of 1200 – 2500 RPM. This may be caused by incomplete adaptation of the torque converter, the transmission software or glycol contamination of the automatic transmission fluid.

DTB P-B-27.20/78 AUG06 Vehicle jolt at constant speeds or during gentle acceleration when torque converter clutch is applied. Transmission will be flushed.

SBC:

DTB P-B-42.46/27c DEC03 Buzzing noise during pressure buildup from SBC system. Pulsation damper will be installed.

Note, warranty on the SBC hydraulic unit increased to ten years.

Wipers:

DTB P-B-82.30/254 JUN03 - Windshield wiper blade noisy. If your wipers are noisy (i.e.: rattle, rub, etc.) they will install new blades up to VIN A218290.

DTB P-B-82.30/366b JAN06 - Adjusting wiper arms. If the wipers continue to be noisy/chatter the wiper arms will be adjusted.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Mike68
I am hoping someone can help me out. I have a 2003 E320, its in excellent shape. I love my car! However I noticed that when I took the Key out of the Ignition I heard a weird sound. I went to my dealer and they told me that they now what the problem is. I was told that the Front Rad shutters were on recall. I was told that they would be replaced by something else. I picked up my car yesterday and on the invoice it said "

"MIN MINOR REPAIR.... 1 604-070-02-55 RUBBER CAP"

""78903 RAD SHUTTERS ARE NOISEY. RE & RE FRONT BUMPER. RE & RE SHUTTER, REMOVED. PREFORMED TSB 985"

I don't think the shutters were replaced. I am not too happy about that!!!

Did anyone else have the same problem? How was it handled?
Designed to create better drag coefficient of 0.26 (e320 only). Blinds close upon start up (if engine is cold), up to 50 mph blind open (if engine is warm), above 50 mph blinds closed.

DTB P-B-20.20/33 JAN06 Noise from air management control system when regulating airflow. This is due to the lubricant for the shutter guides having been washed out. The front bumper was removed; air deflector assembly removed; pneumatic line closed off with a rubber cap; air duct reinstalled; vehicle recoded.

Operation was, in fact, removed.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:31 PM

Rad Shutter Noise

Thank you for the reply. They did check the VIN number and they told me that everything is up to date. However I didn’t ask them to update the software system. Don’t you think they should have checked that on their own?

My Wipers are a little noisy and don’t clean the Windshield properly. I am still on bumper to bumper warranty are they suppose to change them at no cost? My VIN is A274110.

However I still need information on the Rad Shutters. I am not sure if I describe the situation properly. The dealer told me that those are the shutters for the air intake. I was told that they had to remove the front bumper to get the Mechanical shutter out and replace it with non mechanical shutter. Is it possible that they just take the Mechanical shutter out and not replace it? Would that effect my car?
Old 03-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Mike68
Thank you for the reply. They did check the VIN number and they told me that everything is up to date. However I didn’t ask them to update the software system. Don’t you think they should have checked that on their own?

My Wipers are a little noisy and don’t clean the Windshield properly. I am still on bumper to bumper warranty are they suppose to change them at no cost? My VIN is A274110.

However I still need information on the Rad Shutters. I am not sure if I describe the situation properly. The dealer told me that those are the shutters for the air intake. I was told that they had to remove the front bumper to get the Mechanical shutter out and replace it with non mechanical shutter. Is it possible that they just take the Mechanical shutter out and not replace it? Would that effect my car?
Software updates - depends on the competency of your SA and the tech(s) assigned to your vehicle. Normally they should, the best bet is to specifically request it.

Your VIN is past the allowed range therefore you’re not entitled to free wiper replacement however, you can still mention P-B-82.30/366b for free adjustment if needed.

P-B-20.20/33 (shutter) should not affect your vehicle in any significant manner. Consider it a MB modification if you will.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:59 PM

E500
you mentioned:

SBC:

DTB P-B-42.46/27c DEC03 Buzzing noise during pressure buildup from SBC system. Pulsation damper will be installed.

Every so often, especially in rainy conditions I feel strong grinding vibrations in the front left of the car(driver's footwell/pedal area)
The wheels and brakes were replaced by my dealer about 2 months ago.
Is that typical of the SBC issue you mentioned above? I've got a 03 E...
BTW, where do you get all this recall info from?
Thanks
Old 03-01-2007, 04:16 PM

Rad Shutter Noise

Good question. where do you get all this recall info from?
Old 03-02-2007, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Originally Posted by jef

Thanks!

Have the dealer check to see if they can update the Transmission Control Unit. It should help with the engagement of the forward and reverse gears.

Regarding the noise, its the SBC brake pump. Its normal. All I can say is get used to it.

Enjoy the car.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Also the tranny is designed to slowly & gently engage when shifting forward to reverse. Don't rush it.

The pump noise IS normal.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
I used to have the same issue with my old W211 ( the shift lag) Get a sprintbooster. That's all you need to fix that.