E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Spy pics of updated E-Class?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice job on the pictures! I think this is the S for a few reasons. First, a mid model refreshening is usually headlights and taillights with maybe another small enhancement or so. This one has new side mirrors, new rear headrests, new rear antenna placement, etc. I think it is a little drastic. Next, I don't believe they typically camo the cars during a refresh since the changes are so minor. They typically just release it (especially in the states). Finally, the timing couldn't be better for the new S. I think this is the sneak peek for the dealership in the background of one of those pictures...
Old 05-26-2005, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
Also think it is the S...due out this year. If it was an E facelift, I don't think the E350 would have labeled an '06. The E is due for a major rework in '09, so an '07 revision would only be for 2 years.

That said, it does look like MB is installing a an MB look with CLS like headlights in the new S and C classes. The new E will probably do the same. And unlike previous generations (W210 vs E39), with the new engines (V8s with the new S), MB doesn't appear to be giving up much if anything in driveline (engine, transmission) sophistication and performance to BMW for the first time I can remember.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
For those thinking this is the S, you have raised some valid reasons. Although I don't see much difference in the antenna and rear head rests? They very well could have the fender flare concealed under that gray treatment also. The trunkline is consistent with the new S shots I have seen so you all may be right.

But, remember in the past the E was a best seller and they never had to do much in a facelift. At this point in time E sales are down bigtime and they may feel they have to do more than just the cosmetic facelift done in the past.

Regardless...the 4 eyes will go either in the facelift or the next major update.

"I love a mystery..." Who remembers that show on radio...
Old 05-26-2005, 11:45 AM

Mercedes all the way!
definitely the new s-class. it's almost inconceivable they'd put a new bootlid on a "facelifted" car. although the fender flares aren't there, and the headlights look a little smaller than in the previous pictures, it's probably just the masking tape playing with us.

i like that sharp line down the side! looking forward to seeing this thing unmasked
Old 05-26-2005, 12:49 PM

'05 E320, '07 MDX
That car can be found at the Vehicle Prep Center on Watsoncenter road in Carson, CA. That's where all the "5506" cars originate from. Anyone live nearby there?
Old 05-26-2005, 01:02 PM

MY MB WAS LEMON'D
I would have followed that car to it's destination!
Old 05-26-2005, 01:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Originally Posted by dacbiet
That car can be found at the Vehicle Prep Center on Watsoncenter road in Carson, CA. That's where all the "5506" cars originate from. Anyone live nearby there?
I live about a minute and a half from there. Judging by the direction they were travelling (South on the 405) and the area (just East of Carson a few miles past the Wilmington on-ramp) it definitely came from the Prep Center. I enter on that entrance all the time when travelling to the OC and there are always new MB's getting on or off the freeway there. Tons of those little SMART cars and a bunch of CLS's before they hit the showrooms. This is definitely the new S-Class strictly because the Center in Carson is where all new MB's coming into the West Coast go through before being trucked off to the dealerships. The only way this car would be here would be if it is a model that is soon to be released. I have been wanting to park outside of their facility and take spy shots for a long time. I think Joe has just given me the motivation to do so.

I see about 50-100 new MB's a day driving past my neighborhood that come from that center. I am sure I'll see this one real soon and then I can get some additional shots and give my opinion on the size.

Btw, thanks for the pics Joe. Good work!
Old 05-26-2005, 02:02 PM

'05 E320, '07 MDX
There is an emissions lab located within the VPC that performs several types of emissions related tests; they work pretty close with the SCAQMD. That VPC is also used as a base for some endurance tests that are conducted in Death Valley and other hot areas. Years ago, don't know if they still do this, but they did some limited testing on European-spec cars there as well. They would fly the cars over on a Lufthansa 747 cargo, do some tests, and send the cars to the crusher when finished.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:22 PM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Great shots

Thanks for the scoop. I think the guys at Autoweek would be interested in your shots - they look as good, if not better, than some of the spy pics Hidden Image comes out with from time to time. (The Hidden Image guys seem to focus (pun intended) on long telephoto shots of stationary cars that don't require the bravado of highway speed over the shoulder shooting.)

As to the E vs S debate my sense is the car is too short to be the new S, but then again there is a short wheelbase version of the S that they sell in Europe (possibly the new for the US 2006 S350 as well?). Lack of the S Class fender flares noted above is the most critical clue to suggesting the vehicle to be an E since that body disguise looks cosmetic leaving the sheetmetal intact.

Last edited by northbenz; 05-26-2005 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Just noticed those wheels look like they might be 19's or possibly even 20's. Also, nice wide tires in the rear. Can't wait to find out!
Old 05-27-2005, 11:31 AM

'07 A4 S-Line 3.2, '87 560sl, '04 E500 Wagon
I saw similar car in NYC on Tuesday looking down from a third floor window in midtown. Driver was kind enough to be stopped at a light so I could gawk for a while. Looked to be too large for an "E" unless MB is lengthening out the new model. Same backend as your spies (couldn't see the front of the car from my angle). Thought is was an Infinity proto at first with the tail-light treatment. But your grill picture is definetly MB (or KIA knockoff).
Old 05-27-2005, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Samoan_Ridah
Just noticed those wheels look like they might be 19's or possibly even 20's. Also, nice wide tires in the rear.
Another good point. I don't think they are going to be driving around an E with 19's during testing considering the E only comes with 16 as standard and 18's at the largest stock.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:59 PM

2005 E320, 2004 C240 4Matic, 2001 S430
I think this is the new S-class as well. Check this out: http://www.edmunds.com/future/2007/m...16/photos.html
Old 05-28-2005, 02:55 AM

2003 E320
Great job, EDJ!! I also thought it was the E-Class until I looked at the photos in intrinsico's link to edmunds.com. Looks definitely like what they are calling the 2006 S-Class. Nice to see it with the pano roof finally, intrinsico!

I still prefer the lines of the E-Class over this.

Also, I bought my car at Mercedes-Benz of Long Beach, so thanks for the photo, EDJ.

Last edited by rickyfanmdr; 05-28-2005 at 02:58 AM.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:01 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Yup! Pretty dead on the car in Edmunds.

Last edited by CALBenzo; 05-28-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
The car looks quite similar to current shape Mercedes-Benz. I thought the new S-class was going to be a completely different looking vehicle.

With the cars registration number does not offer any information as to date of registration etc?

Our number plates denote the local area here the vehicle was registered, plus what year, and part of the year.

I would expect lots of pictures from Europe of the new vehicle, evenif they were just going for export??

I must be getting very cynical in my old age!

Regards,
John

A very windy overcast morning in Torquay (Today we have some 'Tall ships' anchored in the bay, and the web camera has beem moved to include one of the schooners)
Old 05-28-2005, 10:37 AM

06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
I hope those wheel arches look better in real life then the photos otherwise that is one UGLY front end. In fact, the more I look at it, the more BLAND it looks.

What happened to Mercedes? The CLS looks slab sided and the new S looks ugly in some parts. Even the M gets a "decent" rating and not much more. The Mercedes designer did great with the E and then pffffffft. They must be like those insects that die after having sex.

"A HOT day here in Hell and no relief in sight." :v

Last edited by Spartan; 05-28-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by glojo
The car looks quite similar to current shape Mercedes-Benz. I thought the new S-class was going to be a completely different looking vehicle.

With the cars registration number does not offer any information as to date of registration etc?

Our number plates denote the local area here the vehicle was registered, plus what year, and part of the year.

I would expect lots of pictures from Europe of the new vehicle, evenif they were just going for export??

I must be getting very cynical in my old age!

Regards,
John

A very windy overcast morning in Torquay (Today we have some 'Tall ships' anchored in the bay, and the web camera has beem moved to include one of the schooners)
Hi John...these plates in the USA used by the manufacturer are not assigned to a specific car but can be used on any of their cars for testing. I doubt there would be a specific reference that could be traced to a particular car.

I still am suspicious that this is not the S but the face lifted E but there has been much put forward to debate that.

"A cool 92 degrees today in Las Vegas after a week in the low to mid 100's"
Old 05-28-2005, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by etenn
I am not sure that I like it. How did it look in person, Joe?
It doesn't look like a MB.

How do you take pictures behind you while driving?
What the F....did they kidnap Bangle? NO like!
Old 05-28-2005, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Didn't have time to read 5 pages of posts.....but THIS is the new E Class....or at least a version or it.
Attached Thumbnails Spy pics of updated E-Class?-newe.jpg  
Old 05-28-2005, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Has anyone wondered if instead of doing a facelift on the current E, they eliminate it and go directly to a new version and introduce it as a 2007 model late next year? It seems to me that if the next date for a total revision of the E Class in scheduled for 2008 or2009, it would not be at this stage of development in 2005.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Has anyone wondered if instead of doing a facelift on the current E, they eliminate it and go directly to a new version and introduce it as a 2007 model late next year? It seems to me that if the next date for a total revision of the E Class in scheduled for 2008 or2009, it would not be at this stage of development in 2005.
Doubt it Jack.... Mercedes and other high end cars never do complete body changes or re-design sooner than 7 years... This is one of the reasons european cars are so appealing to me. You can buy an MB, BMW, Volvo, etc and drive a "new" looking car for quite a number of years with only minor body changes... This is so untrue with japanese and most American cars.... This is the reason I still believe this is an S class.

B.T.W..... I thought the picture Jakpro1 posted was already identfied as photoshoped.

Last edited by HELL ONA HARLEY; 05-28-2005 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What appeals to my sense of humour is the fact that no other site is taking this seriously. I personally think it is a revised verion of the A-class, but then again......

Regards,
John
Old 05-28-2005, 04:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by glojo
What appeals to my sense of humour is the fact that no other site is taking this seriously. I personally think it is a revised verion of the A-class, but then again......

Regards,
John

Hi John

Nice to see you posting here again!

Take a look at GermanCarFans or CarySpyShots sites and you will see that they have been following this car for months. It is for sure the new W221 S Class.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fastbuck
Hi John

Nice to see you posting here again!

Take a look at GermanCarFans or CarySpyShots sites and you will see that they have been following this car for months. It is for sure the new W221 S Class.
Good evening Fastbuck,
Thanks very much for the link, I just hope that they actually make an estate car for a change.

You sure are a kill joy Nice site with some good pictures.

Regards,
John

Last edited by glojo; 05-28-2005 at 05:43 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spy pics of updated E-Class?