E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Funny smell coming from A/C

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E200K W211 (M271)
Yep. That's the new design that takes care of the smell. I've gotten my car back after the coil change to the new design, and it's smelling fresh and nice.

The job took 3 days. Dealership said they needed to dismantle part of the dashboard to access and change the coil and drainage. All FOC. Good service at Singapore's Cycle & Carriange.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
Well, the dealership has had my car since last Wednesday and still no call from them. Last I heard on Friday there was this "machine" that they would hook up inside the cabin and let it take out any smells. I hope that actually handles the problem and not just fix the symptoms.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
Oh, and one more thing that really got me was my SA tried to call me last week and tell me they didn't find any mold. He said the smell was a combination of "new carpet smell and cigarette smoke" (!?!?!). Needless to say I was furious that he would first of all think I was stupid enough to believe that and second it was even dumber because no cigarette has ever been smoked in my car!

Oh well, just thought I'd share...
Old 06-13-2005, 07:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Samoan_Ridah
Oh, and one more thing that really got me was my SA tried to call me last week and tell me they didn't find any mold. He said the smell was a combination of "new carpet smell and cigarette smoke" (!?!?!). Needless to say I was furious that he would first of all think I was stupid enough to believe that and second it was even dumber because no cigarette has ever been smoked in my car! Oh well, just thought I'd share...
Curious, did you mention the TSB (P-B-83.30/74b JUN05)?
Old 06-15-2005, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E200 Kompressor
Originally Posted by VBlaster_W211
Yep. That's the new design that takes care of the smell. I've gotten my car back after the coil change to the new design, and it's smelling fresh and nice.

The job took 3 days. Dealership said they needed to dismantle part of the dashboard to access and change the coil and drainage. All FOC. Good service at Singapore's Cycle & Carriange.

Hi VBlaster_W211,

I have the same problem with my A/C. I sent in my car last December when they sprayed some chemical into the system. Smell was reduced but came back within 3 days.

Subsequently, my car was sent back between 14-17 February this year and they changed the evaporator coil. Everything was fine for 6 weeks when the smell came back again.

My car returned to the workshop again between 14-19 April (over the weekend) when I was thence travelling. They claimed to have replaced my evaporator coil again, changed the condensation tray and cleaned all the air ducts. Everything was fine until 2 days ago when I noticed the smell coming back. So, I can safely say any kind of treatment would last only 2 months.

I am now at my wits end as I have never smoked in my car, never used any air freshner and the car's interior is cleaned on a weekly basis.

To make matter worst, the repeated dismantling of my dashboard has resulted in numerous rattles and is driving me nuts. So, I can't really agree that Singapore's Cycle & Carrriage provides good service. BTW, which service centre did you bring your car to?? Leng Kee or Pandan Loop ??