Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 12:13 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
W211 taxis in Europe

I was recently in Central Europe (known as "Eastern Europe" in the days of the Evil Empire) and saw several W211 taxis. That's been discussed and illustrated here before and so I won't post the picture I took of one unless somebody really wants to see it. At the airport where we arrived in Europe I saw several W211 and W210 taxis in the taxi rank. What struck me as unusual about that was that the airport was Munich, and I got to wondering ... why aren't there any BMW taxis? I didn't see a single one anywhere in Munich, or Vienna, or Budapest, or Krakow, or Prague - just lots of E-Class taxis. It's not like BMW doesn't sell a 5-series diesel; they do, in Europe. Assuming my premise is correct, does anyone have a theory on why M-Bs are a preferred taxi in Europe and BMWs are not?
Old 06-07-2005, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by DWP
I was recently in Central Europe (known as "Eastern Europe" in the days of the Evil Empire) and saw several W211 taxis. That's been discussed and illustrated here before and so I won't post the picture I took of one unless somebody really wants to see it. At the airport where we arrived in Europe I saw several W211 and W210 taxis in the taxi rank. What struck me as unusual about that was that the airport was Munich, and I got to wondering ... why aren't there any BMW taxis? I didn't see a single one anywhere in Munich, or Vienna, or Budapest, or Krakow, or Prague - just lots of E-Class taxis. It's not like BMW doesn't sell a 5-series diesel; they do, in Europe. Assuming my premise is correct, does anyone have a theory on why M-Bs are a preferred taxi in Europe and BMWs are not?
I have noticed the same thing during European visits. When I conversed with a Taxi Company owner that I met I learned that MB is preferred due to reliability, passenger comfort, cost of operation and durability. Most cabs in Europe are driver owned and these people keep a tight reign on expenses.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Why go BMW in the first place when there's MB?
Old 06-07-2005, 12:51 PM

W211 & Q7
BMW does not build cars for taxi companies but mb does. I rode mb cabs in Demark and Singapore but their interiors are far from yours and mine -- these cars are "cheaply" built -- you don't see COMAND there and of course no leather; however, exteriors are exactly same as ours.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:49 PM

ML 320 CDI
Originally Posted by Otto
BMW does not build cars for taxi companies but mb does. I rode mb cabs in Demark and Singapore but their interiors are far from yours and mine -- these cars are "cheaply" built -- you don't see COMAND there and of course no leather; however, exteriors are exactly same as ours.
Yes they do, my freinds uncle in Italy has a new shape 5 series, very spartan inside and funny PVC style seats but costs a lot less that a regular 5.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
On a recent visit to Rome I got an S Class cab at the airport to my hotel. Was not a spartan interior and had most all options that we see here plus TV. Have also been in many MB cabs in France and do not recall any real spartan interiors. Most had tex seats, not leather and were diesels but very presentable and comfortable
Old 06-07-2005, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
For whatever reason, the "Mercedes as taxi" image is probably more negative than positive. As MB owners, we try to put a positive spin on it. Just like the owners of US-made cars that are used as taxis or police cars...

I know several persons who were raised in Europe and now own BMWs in the US because their perception is "MB is just another taxi".

-s-
Old 06-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
...erm...every single MB in the ROW spec comes pretty much with no options and everything has to be ordered separately...the fact that a taxi does not have comand or (twin)leather does not mean that the "taxi" is build cheap.

The ROW just doesn't get all the goodies that MBUSA offers as standard for their customers.

greetingz,
Old 06-08-2005, 03:32 AM

03' silver e320 advantgarde
when i was in frankfurt 2 years ago; the w211 taxi i got into had comand and the driver used it to nevigate; it's very nice.

and it's a stick-shifted w211!!

gary
Old 06-08-2005, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
I would say that the reason that most cabs are Mercedes is the same reason that most cop cars, and cabs, and limo's here in the US are Ford/Merc/Lincoln... reliability. I have asked several cab and limo drivers why they have Ford vs GM products and they all say the same thing.. cost of operation.