MB really does a good job with the door speaker enclosure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
Thumbs up MB really does a good job with the door speaker enclosure

Well i was thinking of upgrading the speaker on my E since i came across a deal on Focal Utopia speaker range. It came with 7 inch mid bass, worrying it wouldn't fit, i removed the speaker cover and took some measurement. After i removed the cover, to my surprise is how well the engineer or whoever put the speaker enclosure together. It's very well sealed with sound deadening and solid too, no wonder the mid bass is really punchy (it beats my system on C class for the mid punchiness), little bit dull but. It seems like a tight fit, i may need an adaptor, not sure about the driver side, since it has 'open trunk' button. I'm going to talk to pro installer sometimes later and see wat they have to say.

Anybody have changed their speaker to 7 inch size?? Wat size does the HK one?? In case anyone want to see, i post some pic.
Attached Thumbnails MB really does a good job with the door speaker enclosure-2005-06-11-018.jpg   MB really does a good job with the door speaker enclosure-2005-06-11-019.jpg  
Old 06-10-2005, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tesla
Those speakers do look 100% better than the crappy Bose in my old C-class. They were made out of paper!

One of these days I will have to tear mine apart and see about replacing them with something better. The HK system sounds ok, but it could use better speakers.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:32 PM

2004 E500 4Matic
i don't mean to burst you bubble of utopia but I don't think they will work in your car using the factory amp.

don't get me wrong, i have focals in one of my cars and they sound amazing powered by my McIntosh amplifier... but on all new Mercedes/BMW/Audi/etc cars that I've played with ... that have a premium factory system like bose/HK ... the amp has a very unique impedance for it's speakers. For example I found the Bose system in my old Audi S4 used 1 ohm speakers, so if you put in 4 ohm speakers like Focals you will only be getting 25% of the power.

I'm pretty sure you will need to install an aftermarket amplifier to power those Focals... then you'd have some kickass sound. But you have to make sure that the installer taps the line level output from the headunit, instead of converting the speaker level output.

Last edited by eddie; 06-10-2005 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
I was planning to add some amplifier too, i might purchase some zapco amp or the like, just need to see how my cash is going , Mcintosh will be nice, but way too expensive :p. Thanks for the info about tapping the line level output, i'll make sure they do that. But i feel that the HU is the weak link here, i just have to wait and see i guess.

How do u find those focal speaker sounding? I own Dyn system and they are very warm and mellow, i suppose Focal is the opposite??
Old 06-10-2005, 07:06 PM

2004 E500 4Matic
I haven't played with Dyn's enough to compare them, but I love my focals!