E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

A different kind of clock question....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY MB WAS LEMON'D
A different kind of clock question....

Thinking about swapping my 03 E320 tape player unit to an aftermarket unit like an eclipse.... by doing this, will my clock still work.... since the factory oem system controls or sets the clock? I need to know before i make a decision (it would look dumb to have a non working clock in the instrument clusters)
Old 06-14-2005, 01:27 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
I'm having a hard time visualizing just what it is you want to do - substitute an "Eclipse" (?) unit of some kind for just the cassette player on your '03, but leave the rest of the OEM head unit intact? Or entirely replace the cassette player and small-size display with the "Eclipse" unit? Can you post a link to the "Eclipse" unit that you have in mind? I suspect that in either case a nonworking clock would be the least of your troubles, but I would have to defer to an expert like Scorchie on that.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:37 PM

MY MB WAS LEMON'D
sorry for the vague description.... i called it a tape player because im not sure if it's a COMMAND, COMAND, ETC.... it's the half screen unit that comes stock on the 03 w211 ..... any how, i want to remove the entire system and do this kind of setup.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
eclipse.bmp (729.1 KB, 249 views)
Old 06-14-2005, 03:27 PM

ML 320 CDI
I think what you want to do might prove difficult/expensive. The dash in the picture is from a C-Class and I presume your driving a W211 E . The E has a completely different wiring system and is a bit of a pain in the ***.
Why don't you just get Comand installed and upgrade speakers and amps etc.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:10 PM

MY MB WAS LEMON'D
I originally wanted to do the COMMAND but was quoted $3500 (euro command) .... I like the functions of this eclipse because of the dvd/nav/hard drive/large screen and etc.... plus it would only cost $1200 for the HU
Old 06-14-2005, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
go with the Euro NAV you can't go wrong. Its money well spent. This just looks like
Old 06-14-2005, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
It looks like the avx has a clock function. Don't worry about the dash clock...if it gets disconnected at least it will be show the right time twice a day.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:00 PM

Tesla
The electronic gadgets in the W211 are all connected in a fiber ring running the MOST protocol. If you had to remove one component, you will need to make sure the fiber gets reconnected to complete the ring or else nothing will work.

Being the COMAND headunit is a central part of the MOST ring, I would think omitting it can render everything useless. Plus whatever headunit you go with will need to have it's own amplifier going to the speakers, since the COMAND connection to the stock amp (AGW) is again fiber. On top of that, you will lose the MFD in your dash.

I wouldn't mess with it...
Old 06-15-2005, 05:40 PM

MY MB WAS LEMON'D
Originally Posted by steph280
The electronic gadgets in the W211 are all connected in a fiber ring running the MOST protocol. If you had to remove one component, you will need to make sure the fiber gets reconnected to complete the ring or else nothing will work.

Being the COMAND headunit is a central part of the MOST ring, I would think omitting it can render everything useless. Plus whatever headunit you go with will need to have it's own amplifier going to the speakers, since the COMAND connection to the stock amp (AGW) is again fiber. On top of that, you will lose the MFD in your dash.

I wouldn't mess with it...
Thanks for the reply... you answered everything for me.... looks like its a no go on the aftermarket unit