E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

AC quit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 06:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC quit

AC shut off today for no apparent reason. Wife and new baby in the car and it was 95 F. Anyone have this happen? Only thing I could come up with is some sort of safety shut off for high engine temp?!?! Hit a bunch of buttons but nothing happened. Started up again after we started driving a bit. A little silly I think because it wasn't that hot! I can imagine it getting alot hotter in other parts of the world than here in NJ. It's an 05 E500 4Matic wagon.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:55 PM

2003 E-500
I've not had this happen but would take it to my dealer right away if if did. Your engine should not get hot in 95 F weather with the AC running if you are moving at even a slow speed. In fact, mine will stay cool in 100 F weather at idle for a long time. There have been some reported problems of failed transmission coolers recently leading to erratic transmission problems but doubt that it would happen so soon in your '05. Let the dealer check it out and tell us what you learn. Good luck and stay cool!!
Old 07-25-2005, 07:17 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
What was the indicated coolant temp when the A/C shut down? It probably wasn't overheating-related if the car wasn't overheating. The coolant temp in my '03 never goes over half-way even with the air temp at 105° F (like Saturday) and the A/C at full blast.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
i've had a nice long up to two minute delay with the AC fan... very annoying when its hot... see my thread

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...78#post1213978
Old 07-25-2005, 08:57 PM

03 E500
Originally Posted by LJTC55
AC shut off today for no apparent reason. Wife and new baby in the car and it was 95 F. Anyone have this happen? Only thing I could come up with is some sort of safety shut off for high engine temp?!?! Hit a bunch of buttons but nothing happened. Started up again after we started driving a bit. A little silly I think because it wasn't that hot! I can imagine it getting alot hotter in other parts of the world than here in NJ. It's an 05 E500 4Matic wagon.
Usually when AC shuts off on itself means you are low on freon. Take it to the dealer for a recharge they'll fix it easily.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:27 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
..had this happen to me last year.. ..the a/c just quit on my way yto the office, for absolutlely no reason whatsoever.. the indicator read MAX COOL, but no air was coming out.

..called the dealer that morning and pressured them into getting the car in that afternoon.. two days later I had my car back with a new blower installed (and a squeeky noise coming from the vents.. the noise still happens on occasion)..

In any case, call your dealer and put some pressure on 'em. There's no reason for you to be driving around knowing that at any time the a/c might cut out on you again.. especially if you have your wife and child with you.

GL.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:55 PM

'06 E350
I had this happen once. Started fine, quit, and started again in about 30 mins. Was not that hot and I have no reoccurance.

I thot I was having a "episode" or something.

fubar
Old 07-31-2005, 10:44 AM

This happened to me several times when I first started the car in a hot environment. None of the buttons would respond, and the entire system was dead. I would have to shut off the car, wait and then restart the car to get the system to respond. There was one incident where I had to restart the car several times before the system would come back up again -- all very annoying.

I took the car into the dealer several times and they replaced the regulator first, and said it was corrected -- but alas, it was not.

They then changed the blower, and determined it was an 'over current' situation that would cause the system to shutdown the blower. This last effort appears to have corrected my problem. It has been several months now (in hot weather), and I haven't had an issue since. They even provided me a printout of each of the electrical tests they performed (stress tests), and what the results were.

As the other person recommend -- Pursue this with the dealer until they have it resolved.

Hope this helped.