E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

CDI questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 BMW 530i, '03 BMW M3
CDI questions...

I'm new around here and am contemplating a used 2005 CDI. I'm in CA where the CDI is only legal to register if bought used with 7,500+ miles (old news to many I'm sure). There are a couple local dealers who have a couple cars each and they're generally asking original MSRP or more since so few have made their way to CA. I've looked on eBay and found that most the 2005 CDIs are going for ~$45,000 with around 10k miles. Neither kbb.com or edmunds has the '05 CDI used car values up yet. What do you all think is a fair price for a car with 10k miles, lighting package, sunroof package, HK 6-disk and leather inserts only (give or take an option or two)?

Also, I've searched the forum but haven't had much luck with problem areas (if any) with the CDIs. Do any of you have insights into some common problems?

A little on my background: I'm mid 30s, am on my second E46 M3 and drive about 20k miles a year. The rough ride of the M3 is starting to get to me and I guess my tastes may be changing a bit. I don't like BMW's current styling direction! I test drove a CDI at a local dealer and was very impressed with the torque of this motor. I was truly amazed it was a 3.2 liter straight diesel 6 under the hood instead of the V8 from the E500. And, 37mpg highway is incredible for a car in this class with that kind of grunt.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/insights.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:58 PM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
Great minds think alike - I'm coming from an E39 528i which I loved (except for the feeble power). I can't stand Bangle's styling (the 5 series is hideous, IMHO), i-drive or the bizarre bi-ratio steering. Hence our CDI, which I think is a truly unique combination of performance and fuel economy.

I've been mildly disappointed in the numb steering on our CDI, its soft damping and the amount of turbo lag getting away from a stop. Frankly, it feel somewhat ponderous after 5 years with the E39, but I'm getting used to that - it's a cruiser, after all. Otherwise, it's been great. 9300 miles on the odo and no issues to report. We've averaged 32 mpg so far. Worst tank has been 29.4, best was 37 mpg, calculated from the odo and pump readings, BTW. I recently upgraded the wheels/tires to 245/40x18" Goodyear Eagle F1 RS-D3s, which improved the tossability, but appear to have cost about 10% in fuel economy.

Sorry - can't help with valuation. We did Euro delivery on ours and paid c. $53K (plus the cost of the trip, of course). Too bad that won't be an option for you - it's an excellent program.

Overall. I'm quite pleased with our CDI. Please post back and let us know what you get and how you like it.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
My uncle just picked one up in CA (Freemont Area) for $52200 with an original sticker of $53400.. it had 8100 miles on it and was in otherwise line-new condition in desert silver, DVD NAV, Sun Roof as the only major options I recall. So sounds like you are in the market price range. I would expect if you wanted to fly out and buy one then drive it back from out of state, you could save money.. but not much. I also, know that re-sale on these is about as high as you're going to find in any car, so that too makes it hard to find them at a discount inside CA.

All that said, I love the car.. if you read my prior posts from before you'll see that I originally went into the dealer with the full intention to dive off in an E500, and was so impressed by the CDI that I just had to have it.

I personally love the way it drives, and it seems very sure footed and solid (rigid).. the handling (.83 on a 200' skidpad) is down right impressive for a 2 tone (4002lbs) sedan.

Known problems - none (baring the rare lemon story that all cars will have)

Go for it, and don't look back..
Old 08-01-2005, 11:51 AM

2011 E350 Bluetec
I live in So. California and bought a used 05 CDI in March for $46K with 12K miles on it from an MB dealer in Texas. It came with a sunroof, CD changer, 18" wheels and a 100K mile extended warrantee. It cost about $700 to have it shipped in a closed trailer. So far, it's been a great car. I put another 10K miles on it and average around 34 mpg. You should be able to get the car you want in the mid $40K range from another state. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:38 PM

06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
I had a '05 CDI and now I have an '06 CDI. There are no known major problems save one......

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL THE BRAKE RECALL WORK DONE.

Don't take the word of the dealer that it is done, take it to a Mercedes dealer to check that the work has been done properly.

This is not a joke and this is not an idle statement, this can be the difference between life and death.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:52 PM

2005 E230 CDI
brake recall???

Spartan,

O.K. what brake recall? You've got me concerned. Is there a TSB or Recall #?

With over 9k on mine so far it’s a dream. I love the handling, and the braking (although that may change) Sorry, no info on resale.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
If you want to know what market value is, check ebay's completed listings for the car. Check the MB website for used, national inventory.

We love our car (including the economy, power, comfort, etc., etc.).
Old 08-01-2005, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by FlintCDI
Spartan,

With over 9k on mine so far it’s a dream. I love the handling, and the braking (although that may change) Sorry, no info on resale.
I don't know what the US brake recall numbers are because I live up in the Great White North...aka Canada. I received a notice for my '05 in May but at that time it was no longer in my possession.

It should have been something about the wiring harnass for the braking system. I also remember it was 5 hours worth of work. THAT is not just a small "check out". Also, it involved EVERY E-class up to April 2005 build date. Not sell date but BUILD DATE. Which means for all intents and purposes 2006 model year.

I also love the car....but....get the recall done.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by FlintCDI
Spartan,

Nature of Defect:
3. SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Recall Number: 05V133000
Dates Manufactured: AUG 2001 to MAR 2005
Number of Vehicles Affected: 204000
Date Owners Notified On: N/A
Vehicle: 2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Defect Description:
ON CERTAIN VEHICLES, THE SENSOTRONIC BRAKE CONTROL (SBC) SYSTEM MAY PREMATURELY SHIFT TO THE HYDRAULIC BACK-UP FUNCTION MODE, DUE TO DETERIORATION OF THE WIRING HARNESS CONNECTION, OR DUE TO PREMATURE FAILURE OF THE HYDRAULIC PUMP.

Consequence of Defect:
IN THE HYDRAULIC BACK-UP MODE, THE DRIVER HAS BRAKING POWER SUFFICIENT TO STOP THE VEHICLE, ALTHOUGH GREATER BRAKE PEDAL PRESSURE IS REQUIRED AND THE BRAKE PEDAL TRAVEL WILL BE NOTICEABLY LONGER.

Corrective Action:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT, MODIFY AND REPLACE THE SBC AFFECTED COMPONENTS. THE SBC PUMP UNIT . THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT MERCEDES-BENZ AT 1-800-367-6372.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
I believe the recall I posted above isn't any more crucial than the original one where they simply added a counter to count the number of brake applications so the driver would be warned to take the car in for service if the applications reach a VERY HIGH NUMBER.

On the wiring harness connection issue I suspect it is not something that one has to rush to a dealer to have checked. It's probably something that MIGHT fail after a long time, i.e. corrosion. MBUSA certainly aren't in any hurry to notify us about it.

I'd recommend doing what I'm going to do. Ask about it the next time you have your car in for service.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by BudC
I believe the recall I posted above isn't any more crucial than the original one where they simply added a counter to count the number of brake applications so the driver would be warned to take the car in for service if the applications reach a VERY HIGH NUMBER.

On the wiring harness connection issue I suspect it is not something that one has to rush to a dealer to have checked. It's probably something that MIGHT fail after a long time, i.e. corrosion. MBUSA certainly aren't in any hurry to notify us about it.

I'd recommend doing what I'm going to do. Ask about it the next time you have your car in for service.
Actually, it may be a vibration issue more then a corrosion issue. In a brief conversation with an MB service manager, he briefly talked about some type of bracket but the conversation turned to something else and I did not get all of it.

I am going to take the car in this week and I will try to find out EXACTLY what is going on....through the guys on the floor rather then "official" positions.

Also......I am going to dig up the recall notice and try to scan and post it.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Some of the posts here read like the SBC system is about to drop off.

I have just received the very latest recall and it is indeed a minor vibration issue and vehicles have been recalled, so that they can be checked and any modification carried out.

The European reference is P037.

I have read Spartan's comments and all I can add is our motoring journalists would love to find an E-class with a genuine SBC major fault.

They crucified the A-class and a second scalp would make there day. Our national newspapers would pay many, many thousands of pounds for such a story. It simply has NOT happened.

John
Old 08-01-2005, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by glojo
Some of the posts here read like the SBC system is about to drop off.

I have just received the very latest recall and it is indeed a minor vibration issue and vehicles have been recalled, so that they can be checked and any modification carried out.

The European reference is P037.

I have read Spartan's comments and all I can add is our motoring journalists would love to find an E-class with a genuine SBC major fault.

They crucified the A-class and a second scalp would make there day. Our national newspapers would pay many, many thousands of pounds for such a story. It simply has NOT happened.

John
Really? I have news for you......
Old 08-01-2005, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have a April build date, and both MB and the dealer insists that I am not affected.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by reb03
Thanks in advance for your thoughts/insights.
The very latest 420CDI which is still only a 4ltr V8 out performs the 5ltr petrol in everyway, especially economy. I would make enquiries to see if this brilliant engine is going to be imported before placing an order.

Good luck with the decision,
John
Old 08-02-2005, 09:22 AM

'06 BMW 530i, '03 BMW M3
Thanks again for all the feedback.

I will keep my eyes out for the right car both locally and on eBay.

CE750, I used to do a lot of private flying before my boys were born. My uncle is an ex L-1011 airline pilot and still stays busy ferrying planes around. He did some testing on the MD-11 for MD and did some launches for Orbital Sciences using a retrofitted L-1011. That Citation X must be a blast to fly. I would have figured you for an E55.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by reb03
I will keep my eyes out for the right car both locally and on eBay.

CE750, I used to do a lot of private flying before my boys were born. My uncle is an ex L-1011 airline pilot and still stays busy ferrying planes around. He did some testing on the MD-11 for MD and did some launches for Orbital Sciences using a retrofitted L-1011. That Citation X must be a blast to fly. I would have figured you for an E55.

Thanks again everyone.
I wonder if the 420CDI is a newer tech aluminum engine that requires the clean diesel like the up coming V6? if so, he'll have to wait 2 more years at least from what I'm being told.. Anyway, the I-6 with a cast iron block is the way to go IMHO for long term reliability.

I envy your uncle... that's the kind of flying job a rare few can get. I was fat dumb and happy in aviation until the whole industry came crashing down after 9/11 (I was furloughed from American). I now just fly for fun (contract) and make a real living in real estate (commercial).

As for the E55... maybe, but I had promised my 75 year old mother that when I had the money, I would by her a Benz (this was when I was a kid of course)... so I lived up to my words and spent the budget on an '06 E350 instead. Otherwise between the two E's, I could have easily swung an E55... but there is plenty of time for that in the future.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:14 PM

'06 BMW 530i, '03 BMW M3
Originally Posted by CE750
so I lived up to my words and spent the budget on an '06 E350 instead.
Just curious since I'm looking at getting into a CDI... Why didn't you also get your mom the CDI? You seem to love your CDI so I assume she just preferred the gasoline engine..

Also, one of the first things that came to mind with the turbocharged engine was a performance chip of some sort. Are you still happy with your decision to get the Renntech chip? Has it compromised your fuel economy?