E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Toyota loaner car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 09:19 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS 500(sold), 2005 C230K, 2005 E 320,
I gave in my new cls 500 for several warrranty issues that I had, including a Aux Battery recall. It had 2800miles on it. I got a Ford Taurus that vibrated ( I mean shaked ) at 50miles an hour. Its rear door was entirely dented.

I was really upset, but didnt complain. I figure that MB has so many non service related problems that they just cannot have enough c class loaners.

It was interesting to see that this could potentially be a point where MB owners get fed up and just decide to purchase lexus instead ( regardless of how boring their cars may be, compared to MB or BMW ).

If I got a new clean car, I would have been okay. But putting a customer in a beat up rental really shows that there is a bigger problem MB is facing, that forces them to do this. I reckon they just cannot handle the cost of warranty issues, hence the removal of the free maintenance stint.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:56 AM
rjm

Multiple
My local dealer will usually provide either a Toyota Camry or a C-Class. I've driven both of them, and frankly, prefer the Toyota to the C-Class.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:42 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Originally Posted by rjm
My local dealer will usually provide either a Toyota Camry or a C-Class. I've driven both of them, and frankly, prefer the Toyota to the C-Class.
I would go a bit further and say that it would be risky for a M-B dealer to give a Camry as a loaner to a C-class dirver. The current Camry is good enough (if you don't mind numb handling) that a C-class driver could start wondering if the emblem on the hood is really worth the $10,000 premium. Of course, we E-class drivers would never entertain such doubts about our $25,000 premium, would we?
Old 08-20-2005, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Originally Posted by DWP
I would go a bit further and say that it would be risky for a M-B dealer to give a Camry as a loaner to a C-class dirver. The current Camry is good enough (if you don't mind numb handling) that a C-class driver could start wondering if the emblem on the hood is really worth the $10,000 premium. Of course, we E-class drivers would never entertain such doubts about our $25,000 premium, would we?
don't know how good a Camry or E-class sedan is but I bought the 3-pointed star for $50k and mb gave me the C-class sedan for free
Old 08-20-2005, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by rjm
ok now.. rjm, put down the crack pipe, and think about this for a minute.. we're talking Camry not Lexus here, right? :p
Old 08-20-2005, 05:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, the new Camry's are actually pretty tight.
Believe it or not, just a while back I was just checking out how these mid-size Japanese sedans are fairing. Loaded and what not, they are topping out at around 40k$!
Old 08-20-2005, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Originally Posted by CE750
ok now.. rjm, put down the crack pipe, and think about this for a minute.. we're talking Camry not Lexus here, right? :p
well, being inferior to a Camry is not nearly as bad as being inferior to a Scion

https://mbworld.org/forums/off-topic/117102-scion-c230.html
Old 08-20-2005, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Well, the new Camry's are actually pretty tight.
Believe it or not, just a while back I was just checking out how these mid-size Japanese sedans are fairing. Loaded and what not, they are topping out at around 40k$!
A top-of-the line Camry V6 with every available option has an MSRP of $31,256. With a $1,000 cash to customer rebate the going price for this car would be less than $28,000. You can get a Lexus ES-330 in the low $30's.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Oops, you're right.
I was look at the Avalon and the Accord Hybrid. They are also in the 32k$'s.

I guess I was confusing it with another post I read, instead of sedans, it was vans.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:46 PM
Almost a Member!

08 S550, 08 E63, other non-Green cars
loaner car

Hyundai Accent. 'nuff said.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:16 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
I just rented an Avalon. Nice rental car!

Sunroff, Leather, decent sound system and 280hp. Nice looking interior trim.

Boring as he77 exterior.

Last edited by lig; 08-25-2005 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:11 PM

Back in "the day" in 1995 when we purchased (leased actually) our first ever MBZ, a C220, we never even got a loaner/rental from Schumacher in Scottsdale. Not a damn thing. You got some cookies and disgusting Coke from their machine that was out of whack. You watched CNN a hundred times and burped and farted while the old farts were checking their glasses and looking at you like you were a lowballer.

So, I guess the moral of my story is to be happy with whatever rental car you get. Really, you can flog the living crap out of it, return it, then cruise gently home in your MBZ and treat it right!!
Old 08-25-2005, 03:28 AM
Almost a Member!

08 S550, 08 E63, other non-Green cars
Originally Posted by PHXATC
Back in "the day" in 1995 when we purchased (leased actually) our first ever MBZ, a C220, we never even got a loaner/rental from Schumacher in Scottsdale. Not a damn thing. You got some cookies and disgusting Coke from their machine that was out of whack. You watched CNN a hundred times and burped and farted while the old farts were checking their glasses and looking at you like you were a lowballer.

So, I guess the moral of my story is to be happy with whatever rental car you get. Really, you can flog the living crap out of it, return it, then cruise gently home in your MBZ and treat it right!!
It's been a great experience owning MB's so far. I get to drive, some might say, the cream of the crop and the residue left behind. I'm cool with a reliable car as a loaner, in fact, I don't think anyone took a Hyundai this fast since Rodney King.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:01 AM

Enterprise tried to give me a Buick

There was a Camry next to it and I switched. Sure I'd like a comprable car, but as long as its not a boat that sways when you try to change lanes, I'll usually put up with it for a few hours.

One service advisor that I was friendly with, would always reserve a nice car for me. Once I got a cab on a nice sunny day (ahh the joy of top down motoring).
Old 01-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Banned

05 C230
This happened to me also. I refused the car.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:37 PM

05 CLK500; 07 Volvo XC90
it all depends on the dealers. some got contract with enterprise so they loan out whatever enterprise gets while others loan out their benzes.

american service center and merc of alexandria (same ownership) use enterprise while hbl in a ritzy part of town loans out their benzes.

i don't really care what they loan out as long as i don't have to wait in the lounge watching cnn or a soap opera (you can only sit in the showroom cars for so long ).
Old 01-23-2007, 11:35 PM

'03 ML500, '07 E350 Sport (wife's)
Loaner cars

For years we have been using a dealer in the east bay to service our Volvos even after we moved about an hour and a half away almost three years ago. One reason was that they almost always gave us a nearly new Volvo. Usually V70 or XC70, but sometimes an S40 or S60. One time they ran out of loaners and tried to put us in a Corolla. I wined and they upgraded us to a Taurus or something like that. I told them I drove a Volvo for the safety and would not drive a tin can like that. One other time when they had to keep my wife's convertible they rented us a Sebring convertible, as it was toward the end of the summer season with the last bit of nice weather. The local dealer here for Volvo gives out older Volvos as available which is fine, at least they're safe. Should have been a sign, but the last loaner they tried to get me into had a dead driver seat control, so I had to get a rental, which I paid for an upgrade.

The Mercedes dealer here which we are using does give out Mercedes loaners. I need to schedule my first appt, so I will let you know what I get. I do expect something of similar quality and safety and refuse to drive a tin can, even if it is just for the day. Safety is of primary concern and that's one good reason we spend so much money on our cars. Don't think my expectations are too high. As a note, my boss brought his mother's CL600 in to another local dealer and received a new E, whereas everyone else was getting Cs. Not unreasonable, I don't think. Bash me if you will.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:27 AM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
I see this thread has dragged on to become c. 2 years old!!!

Our dealer (Williams Auto World/Lansing Imports/Okemos Auto Collection) has routinely given me the next-lower-class car for a loaner, if I make an appointment in advance (BMW 5-series=3-series: MB E-series = C-series). If I can't make an advance appointment, I take potluck with a rental car the dealer pays for - usually a sucky Buick with mouse fur interior and lots of dents, but at least they pick you up!

I don't think this is utterly unreasonable, given the cost to the dealership of maintaining an inventory of BMW/MB loaners! Sometime, it would be nice to be given an S-class M-B when I bring my E320 CDI in for service, particularly when I've bought $160K worth of new cars from the dealership since 2005, and >$200K since 2000. But I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by khaug; 01-24-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:16 AM
Banned

I dont know whatsup with MB their slipping big time.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:14 AM

2003 E320
I'm coming up on my 4th anniversary on my E320, and I took my car in for a couple of odds and ends before my primary warranty expires. I got a free Toyota Camry rental. I was happy with it.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:11 PM

'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
You STILL have to remember that they gave you 2 cars in exchange for the 110 grand. All things require service. The loaner is still a free acconmodation. When was the last time a jeweler gave you a watch to wear (even a Timex) when you had to leave your Rolex/Tag/Breitling there for a day or 2 for a battery/cleaning/resealing... same thing expecially when you think about how much we're paying for a watch these days.

You shouldn't get a Chevy Cavalere... thats not comfortable or refined at all. Not much more than a toy really, but free is free, and a Camry is truely acceptable for a day.

I'm an Optician & we dont lend anyone loaner glasses when we have to get a part for a frame, no matter how much they paid for THEIR pair, or how many they buy here.

AS MB owners, I suppose we allow ourselves to get a little spoiled. You paid them money, they gave you cars, an accomodation is still an accomodation. Its not an opportunity for a free road test & traffic light showdown because people tend to beat on the loaner cars like they would NEVER drive their own car OR a friends. You also should not be surprised about the cost of parts or labor to service these cars. These fees should be in line with what the cars cost to buy. You'd really feel ripped off if it cost $600 bucks for a tune up on a Malibu. It costs less because they sell more of them & therefore service more of them so its easier to make a living at the lower price by working on fewer cars. Lower volume always means more expensive to own & service.

These guys are authorized sellers of cars that are made in Europe by strangers. They are not all connected together in 1 big money making machine. MB dealers have huge expenses keeping up the image for MB, and staying in business after paying all the expenses, and I bet more than a few of the MB Dealership owners would rather be selling hot Nissans or Infinitis right now at lower markups but higher numbers. The car business is just a retail store. The fact that these cars and we become very emotionally bonded, doesn't change the fact that if theres not enough profit to justify ALL the Bull****, the dealership's owners don't need it, so they do the best they can to satisfy the customer & still make a living comensurate with the work load. Some customers are nice, and some customers are demanding, and some customers want more than they are entitled to in a fair deal. They are not out to screw you or lose your business, just watch expenses. If you take in 8 Million dollars a year & you owe 8 Million and One dollars, You are Broke and out of Biz.
Barry, Barry, Barry. Must be a slow day in the optician business. Seriously, I agree with you. My dealer gives me whatever they have -- sometimes a Mercury Grand Marquis with 30,000 miles on it. But they do come to my house and drop off/pick up. and the service itself was good. So I tolerate a crummy car for a few days.