E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

In for service, I have questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E500
In for service, I have questions.

I brought my '05 E500 in this morning for an alignment, the battery recall (campain 2005060008), the passenger seatbelt sensor, and the SBC pump making too much noise.

The service rep said he has never heard of a bulletin on the SBC pump. I even gave him the number, P-B-42.46/27A, but he still wasn't able to find it. Is there anything else I can do to show him? Is the number I have correct?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 08-08-2005, 01:33 PM

2003 E-500
Any GOOD MB shop technician or Service Assistant should be aware of the SBC pulsation problem. You have the right number for the Service Bulletin and they've been replacing these IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM for over a year. If you don't have the problem, don't pursue the fix.

Refer him to this web site and some of the links showing this problem if he doesn't believe you. You might also speak to the Shop Foreman for help. I've had a couple of problems in the past with MB's that the technician couldn't solve; however, at my dealer the technicians will usually buck such problems up to the foreman for help when necessary. In one case, the shop foreman and technician held a conference call with Germany to help resolve the problem. If you're dealer can't solve this, I'd be looking for another MB dealer to service my car. Good luck and let us know how you make out with these routine corrections.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by FirstMB
I brought my '05 E500 in this morning for an alignment, the battery recall (campain 2005060008), the passenger seatbelt sensor, and the SBC pump making too much noise.

The service rep said he has never heard of a bulletin on the SBC pump. I even gave him the number, P-B-42.46/27A, but he still wasn't able to find it. Is there anything else I can do to show him? Is the number I have correct?

Thanks,
Kevin
The work order on my car says 023818 SBC Repair Per P-B-42.46/27A and 023970 Repair as per P-B-42.46/32 Retrofit Flex Lines and Return.

023818 is called the Dampner Valve Update for the SBC System and 023970 is called the Flexible Line Update for the SBC System.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:57 PM

'05 E500
Just got off the phone with the service rep, and apparently he got with the service manager and found it. Sounds like he's new with MB.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:05 PM

2005 E500 / 1993 MR2 Turbo
I have the '05 E500 and have never received any notice of recalls for either the SBC or the battery. What kinds of problem are you all having with the SBC and battery.

I really don't know what the problem will feel or sound like. When I brake sometimes, I do hear a rumbling sound and can feel it in the pedal as well. But I was told that this is normal and just the braking systems adjusting itself.. Sometimes when I unlock my doors, there is a loud buzzing noise coming from the car. This only happens sometimes.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:12 PM

Tesla
That loud buzzing sounds is from the SBC pump priming. You can duplicate it just by pressing your brake peddle a couple times before starting your car. I've complained about it the first time I brought my car back, and they just said it's normal. I was pressed for time and didn't pursuit further. Eventually I will go back and raise hell until they can make it quieter.

To me that's the only disadvantage of SBC system on my car, the damn noise!
Old 08-08-2005, 02:13 PM

'05 E500
Originally Posted by jameson75
When I brake sometimes, I do hear a rumbling sound and can feel it in the pedal as well.
That's the exact problem right there. It is just annoying that's all, but does not affect braking performance. It is the pump that you hear. You can test this out by pumping your brakes 5 times, and you will hear the pump kick in again.

As for the battery, you will have to do a search on here to get the details as I forget already. But, the rep did show a confirmation of that recall for my car's VIN.