E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Anyone here intend to keep their car after the warr. (reg or extended) expires? (m)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
Very interesting responses so far- It seems as though MB has a long. long way (m)

to go before it takes its place ahead of Lexus. Even though I love the E, I'd seriously think about a Lexus if/when they finally offer a decent handling car. The LS430? Its a boat. The GS? Still nothing special and a bit too trendy looking. If Lexus ever nails MB/BMW handling and MB's elegance MB will be in SERIOUS trouble.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W215 CL600
Originally Posted by JWS3
to go before it takes its place ahead of Lexus. Even though I love the E, I'd seriously think about a Lexus if/when they finally offer a decent handling car. The LS430? Its a boat. The GS? Still nothing special and a bit too trendy looking. If Lexus ever nails MB/BMW handling and MB's elegance MB will be in SERIOUS trouble.
Nah, Lexus just doesn't have any cars that put out serious hp and great performance like the BMW M and Mercedes AMG. Don't get me wrong, Lexus is a great brand, just not my brand.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:16 PM

2015 C300
Very interesting thread! My '03 has about 43K miles, and I figure I have until Dec-Jan to decide what to do about keeping out of warranty. I had the '97 C class for 5 years and about 90K and never had a problem...so I'm hopeful. This has been a great car, and I still love it, plus with desert silver no longer an option I can't really replace it!

Biggest factor for me is cost - the car is in great shape, but even trying to sell it myself (which I hate - it takes way too much time and effort), I still figure that it would cost me about $20K all-in to get into a new, comparable car (cash difference in prices, taxes, insurance, etc.). So, if I just take that money and put it into a "reserve account", I figure the chance of blowing through that money is pretty slim!! And I get to keep the car I love!

Also, this way I can keep the car until I get a peak at the next redesign, decide if I like it or not, and then either buy either a last year production of the 211 or go for the new model (after an appropriate waiting period to make sure the bugs are worked out!!).

Last edited by plocjim; 08-12-2005 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:42 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
I have the extended and it will last to the year (8 I think) as I won't go over on mileage. Interesting note, the head mechanic at the dealer told me to NOT keep the car after warranty.. lol.. 8 years for me is a long time.. I have had it for 1 and half now and I love the interior a lot.. I just love sitting in that car.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:45 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Originally Posted by MBAMGPWR
Nah, Lexus just doesn't have any cars that put out serious hp and great performance like the BMW M and Mercedes AMG. Don't get me wrong, Lexus is a great brand, just not my brand.

When I replaced the W211 I had hoped the IS350 6MT would be available. Nothing but good luck with Lexus/Toyota products.

The rumored IS460 might be the next car - right now I'm absolutely enjoying the S4. It's warranted until 2009/100K
Old 08-13-2005, 07:40 PM
rjm

Multiple
I had a 2001 E-430 with 32,000 miles on it. 2 weeks after the warranty ran out, I stopped at a stoplight, and when the light changed the car wouldn't go....PERIOD. I shut it off and re-started it to make it go into the "limp-home mode" and drove it to the dealer. After a week in the shop waiting for parts from Germany, it was repaired and returned to me with a $3000 repair bill. A transmission seal had leaked fuel into the Transmission Control Module harness and shorted out the TCM rendering the car undriveable. Luckily I had purchased the Starmark Extended Warranty at original purchase so my cost was ZERO. My advice......GET THE WARRANTY...Mercedes quality is NOT what it used to be. I sold my Extended Warrantly back to MB, received 88% of my original purchase cost, and traded my MB for a new Lexus LS430.....I couldn't be happier. My point is.....GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY, even if you are not sure you will be keeping the car. You can always cash in the unused portion or transfer it to the new owner.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
I bought the extended warranty on my '03 E320, and I only drive just under 5,000 miles a year. I haven't turned 11,000 miles yet with no problems. So I have 4.5 years to go on my warranty. I'll only have 30,000 to 35,000 miles on the car at the end of the 7 years. I'll wait and see what everyone else's experience is with the car at about 6 years and also see if anything new is irresistible. So far, none of the new styling interests me.

I kept my last Mercedes (a 1985 380SE) 17 years and sold it with 105,000 miles on it.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:57 PM

E270 CDI ADV
Be Afraid, Very Afraid

My E270cdi ADV has just run out of warranty & I am absolutely petrified because the car has been so unreliable. So far I've had 3 turbo's, 2 cat's, 2 major oil leaks, air-con repaired twice (still won't work in the back) 3 electrical faults & the radio still switches itself on & off. Today I've also received another recall & the central locking stopped working last week.

maybe just unlucky......
Old 08-16-2005, 03:10 AM

No
Old 09-20-2005, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by X72
Already have. 2003 E320. Car has 55,000 miles. Have used it on several long cross-country drives which accounts for most of the mileage. Still on the original brakes, although rear pads are wearing faster than front pads.

Had my first post warranty repair done. Heater valve failed. With the 3 hours of labor was nearly $500 to repair. I didn't get the extended warranty since I am willing to take the risk. I do most of the normal maintenance myself.

I don't have very high expectations of this car. The air conditioning compressor failed just before my warranty expired. Had quite a few problems with the radio (HK radio but not Command). Cancelled Tele-Aid since I get periodic messages saying it is defective. The Tele-Aid unit was replaced three times; did not fix the problem. Had the chattering wipers, ESP light because of defective steering wheel angle sensor, power steering pump and coolant pump both replaced because of leaks as well as a worn suspension component making a knocking sound. Car was misaligned and pulled to the right. I had to pay for that alignment since it was past 12000 miles when I took it in. Oh yeah, and of course the SBC recall. The center console vinyl started bubbling up and was replaced. The drivers side mirror developed a foggy discoloration and was replaced.

Blessedly, I do not have the battery problems many have had. I can leave the car for 2 weeks, and it starts fine.

The service has been good with this exception. Where I take the car to be serviced, it takes usually 4 days for me to get the car back.

It is a nice driving car and I feel it is a very safe car; the safety is worth a lot to me. I like the car, but have already firmly decided not to get a Mercedes Benz for my next car on principle alone. This car reminds me a lot of another car I had; a 1985 Audi 5000 Turbo. I liked that car too; that car had a lot of minor problems too. I haven't bought another Audi since.

Would like this car to last at least to 150,000 miles whick is 7 to 8 total years in my case. Most of my problems have been relatively minor, but in todays market there is no need to put up with this kind of thing. We have two Lexus ES 300's; I don't particularly care for the way the transmission works on those cars, but have had next to no problems with them. We also have an 02 Lexus IS 300 Sportcross which is out of warranty too. While in warranty, that car had one problem; an oxygen sensor failed.

William
2003 E 320
What dealership do you go to in Miami? MB of Miami off I-95? If so, how's the service there? I'm eyeing a 2003 E320 with 41K miles and wondering if it'll be a good buy with the extended warranty of course. Don't know yet if it's an early or late model 03. I'm reading how there are many differences between the two with a lot of bugs worked out for late 03 models.

Last edited by Zillarpillow23; 09-20-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:07 PM
X72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honda Accord
chkdg8, I have taken it to both MB of Miami and MB of Coral Gables for the warranty work. I would give the edge to MB of Coral Gables' service department.

Be prepared for this at both dealerships. You make an appointment for service 2 to 3 weeks in advance for a Monday at 7 or 8 AM. My car was not be ready until usually Thursday. They don't look at the car for a couple of days. When they look at the car, they need to order parts that don't arrive until the next day. Both service centers are swamped with work.

I would be extremely careful with a used 2003 E class. Make sure to have the car checked out by an indepedent trusted MB mechanic, which is something that is advisable when buying any used car. Negotiate hard. The dealers know that this car in on Consumer Reports Used Cars to Avoid list.
Good luck,
William
2003 E320
Old 09-22-2005, 11:07 PM

2004 E-240 AV
Keep my E-Class the first 5 years

I will still my brand new E-Class no more than 4 years then sell it. Car in idle always cause more problems. With Mercedes quality and expensive parts, it's better to replace a new one after 4 years.

My 2 cents of comment.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:25 AM

I intend to keep my car for a long time. It was my first new car purchased. I always bought used cars (10). I promised myself when I can afford a new car, it would be a nice one. 04 E320 was my first new car. I want to hand down this car to my kids. It got 4K in 1 1/2 yrs.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:37 AM

Whichever one is available (1 of 5)
After 1 year, I just have 3,900 miles on my 2004 E500, so I purchased extended warranty from RBM of Atlanta for $2380. I kept my 1987 BMW until 2004, and my 1989 420SEL until I totalled it in 2004. So this one, I intend to keep for a long time also.