E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Is it possible to get a refund for the MB extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to get a refund for the MB extended warranty?

Hello All - I called the MB USA and asked for a refund for the 7 year/100K mile Mercedes Benz extended warranty I purchased with my 03 E500. I have 39k miles on my car so none of the warranty was used. Well, when I called MB USA for a refund, they told me I needed to call my dealer. I called my dealer and they told me that they cannot refund extended warranties by MB but they could refund the dealership extended warranties with a fee.

Did anyone get a refund for the warrant by MB? Can anyone give me some information how to get a refund? The only reason why I want a refund is because I will probably trade in my car and the warranty will not transfer.

Thanks,

Frank
Old 08-16-2005, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Do not believe they will do that. As far as being able to transfer, I believe they do transfer the remaining warranty to the new owner.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
It was true at one time that you could get most of the money back but I believe it was changed a couple of years ago. The warranty can be transferred to an individual but it goes away if a dealer, Mercedes or not, is involved. It could be a good selling point if you feel like selling the car yourself but is of no use if you trade the car to a dealer.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:58 AM

I know that aftermarket extended warranties are insurance products and you could get a prorated portion of your premium back. I did it once.

I really don't know if the MB warranties are regulated by the insurance industry. Did you see anything in the fine print? I assume not.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:46 PM

I could not find anything in fine print stating I qualified or not.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2005, 07:21 PM
rjm

Multiple
I bought the MB Extended Warranty on my 2001 E-430 at time of purchase. Sold the car 2 weeks ago and cashed in the balance of my warranty and received 88% of purchase price. My warranty was for 8 yrs./100,000 miles. I only used 6 months of it before cashing it in. I just went to my dealer and told the Finance Officer I wanted to cash the balance of my warranty in. It took about 3 minutes to do. The check is supossed to come in 4-6 weeks.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:26 PM

E500
Just visit your MB dealership. Tell them that you want to cancel you extend warranty. It takes about 6 to 8 weeks to get your refund. (Go back to where you bought the car from.)
Old 08-19-2005, 06:00 AM

Thanks for the feedbacks. I did go back to my dealer and this is what I was told. Dealerships offers 2 different extended warranties. One is by a company or by the dealer and the other is what I have which is the Mercedes Benz Star extended warranty. The dealer offered warranty would not have been a problem to get a refund. The warranty offered by Mercedes is the one that is not refundable. The dealer told me if I had the other warranty they would be happy to refund a portion of my money.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:01 AM
rjm

Multiple
Originally Posted by i8hotdogs
Thanks for the feedbacks. I did go back to my dealer and this is what I was told. Dealerships offers 2 different extended warranties. One is by a company or by the dealer and the other is what I have which is the Mercedes Benz Star extended warranty. The dealer offered warranty would not have been a problem to get a refund. The warranty offered by Mercedes is the one that is not refundable. The dealer told me if I had the other warranty they would be happy to refund a portion of my money.
I think your dealer is stiffing you.....my warranty was a MB Starmark and was fully refundable. Read the body of the contract (your copy of the warranty)...it will tell you in there if it is refundable or not. Mine was and it was purchased in 2001. Maybe they have changed it, but I doubt it.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:35 PM

E500
Hi,

Yes, they are 2 types of extended warranty.

1. If you bought the brand new car, it willl be MB Basic warranty extensions.

2. If you bought the Certified Pre-own (C.P.O. and used to be Star Mark) will be CPO extend warranty.

Unless you bought the 3rd party extended warranty.... You should have gotten the certification indicates the warranty.