Installing XM, question on running wires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 08:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E500 4matic, 2014 GL320, 2013 C300, 2015 Stingray
Installing XM, question on running wires

Folks,

I'm installng a xm radio in the car and want to use the vent mount that came with it to clip it onto the center of the center two vents. In that spot, it actually looks pretty good IMO and is easier to change stations than taking my eyes off the road by looking down to change the stock radio.

Now for my question - the kit comes with a real thin 17ft antenna wire - i'm able to get signal on the rear deck lid AND catch something metallic under it so getting the wire to the front of the car is no problem. Question i have is there anyway to get the cables either up into the center speaker cavity or optimally through/near these center vents? I have to do it for power, antenna, and audio out cable.

I'd like to note i work for a company that makes custom wire harness for military/commerical/telecom/auto industries so i'm invisioning putting all of these under one jacket and keeping it thin, running it say below/in the glove box where all the connections can be made.

Anyway, any info about running wires in the center dash area are greatly appreciated. Will keep you updated on my progress.

thx.

Aceman
Old 08-18-2005, 10:16 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
This isn't an answer to your question, but have you tried placing the XM car antenna inside, on the rear package shelf, just forward of where it meets the rear window? I did that and get a 2/3 or 3/3 satellite signal, as well as a 3/3 repeater signal where we live. It's very easy to route the wire from the rear package shelf to the front console area so that it's entirely hidden, except for a few inches in the rear compartment.

We have a MyFi. I didn't mount the MyFi fixed to the dash vents because all it really needs to play is the antenna lead, not necessarily an audio-out or power connection. We just put it, in its cradle, in the "ashtray" compartment. YMMV if you have an XM radio that requires a power source; in that case the permanent mount makes sense - and audio-out does sound better than an FM modulator.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E500 4matic, 2014 GL320, 2013 C300, 2015 Stingray
antenna...

DWP,

Sorry - i meant that i put the antenna on the rear package shelf as per your description. I actually got the cable from the rear package shelf to the front right hand underside of the glove compartment totally hiding it under the cloth weather strip around the doors.

Now i have the cables to essentially under the glove box and want to get them to come out of the large center grill which will put them within a couple of inches of the roady2. i do need power w/ this unit so its a total of 3 wires...

aceman
Old 08-19-2005, 04:58 PM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
Originally Posted by aceman
DWP,

Sorry - i meant that i put the antenna on the rear package shelf as per your description. I actually got the cable from the rear package shelf to the front right hand underside of the glove compartment totally hiding it under the cloth weather strip around the doors.

Now i have the cables to essentially under the glove box and want to get them to come out of the large center grill which will put them within a couple of inches of the roady2. i do need power w/ this unit so its a total of 3 wires...

aceman
Aceman,
Don't know if this will help. I have an '03 C240 and the roady2 fits in the ashtray. Others have also put theirs in the ashtray and have found ways to bring the wires through the ashtray. Mine gets power from the cigarette lighter which is in the console right in front of the ashtray and the antenna wire comes up along a joint in the console.

I use the remote I purchased separately to change channels by feel when I am driving. Never even have to look at the thing. I have my favorite channels memorized and locate the buttons by pattern/feel. Kind of like I do with the TV remote in the dark and without my glasses. You can also scan up or down throught the channels with the remote. If the ashtray in your E is big enough you might want to lay it there out of sight.

GGM