Sad experience with Autobahn Motors at Belmont

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Sad experience with Autobahn Motors at Belmont

I brought my E class for service today, some losing insulation problem. A service advisor got all my numbers to notify about repair progress, and I got a ride to my work. However I haven't received any calls, so when I tried to call them to figure out how do I suppose to get home, lady just answered that I'm eligible for a loaner, however everybody's gone and she doesn't care how I'll get home. So, finally I had to call my wife, she doesn't well drive in the dark, but I was lucky. Now I need to figure out how to get work tomorrow. It seems I should get a taxi, but the dealership isn't going to cover my expenses. Any suggestions how to speak with the dealer, besides do not buy Benz anymore and give a negative feedback about service? I'll give a call to a service manager tomorrow and then update you how he explained this incident.

Ironically, I always tried to protect Benz dealers from attackers who told that service is awful, but now I seems to move to heir camp.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by Dema
I brought my E class for service today, some losing insulation problem. A service advisor got all my numbers to notify about repair progress, and I got a ride to my work. However I haven't received any calls, so when I tried to call them to figure out how do I suppose to get home, lady just answered that I'm eligible for a loaner, however everybody's gone and she doesn't care how I'll get home. So, finally I had to call my wife, she doesn't well drive in the dark, but I was lucky. Now I need to figure out how to get work tomorrow. It seems I should get a taxi, but the dealership isn't going to cover my expenses. Any suggestions how to speak with the dealer, besides do not buy Benz anymore and give a negative feedback about service? I'll give a call to a service manager tomorrow and then update you how he explained this incident.

Ironically, I always tried to protect Benz dealers from attackers who told that service is awful, but now I seems to move to heir camp.
I've said it before... they're not like they should be.

I got my mom's car at that dealer.. and they're no different than the Chevy dealer in Redwood City... fast talking, and money grubbing...

I would file a complaint with MBUSA.. and I would also go right to the top... GM of the dealership.

BTW... I always got the idea you lived in the former Soviet Union state of Georgia.. you live in the Bay Area?
Old 09-02-2005, 04:00 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
The dutch MB dealerships either give you a rental car that you have to pay for or a bycicle that is free...being dropped off at your office is not something they will do - let alone giving you a free lental car.

greetingz,
Old 09-02-2005, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBenzNL
The dutch MB dealerships either give you a rental car that you have to pay for or a bycicle that is free...being dropped off at your office is not something they will do - let alone giving you a free lental car.

greetingz,

Steve, here in the US.. every dealer, even Kia gives you either a loner, or a drive to someplace.. it's just how things are done here. One place where the US seems to have customer service right I guess.

You guys have a great transit system, and a bicycle is actually useful to get around in..

Thanks again for the visit!
Old 09-02-2005, 09:50 AM

ML 320 CDI
My dealer always gives me a loaner. I've had A-Class loaners right through to an S-Class before. Never been charged for it.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E55
Originally Posted by Dema

Hate to say it but you should have asked for a loaner up front. It sounds like it's partially their fault, but I know from experience at that dealer if you want a loaner car you have to ask for it. And no, not everyone gets one automatically.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DarkStar
Hate to say it but you should have asked for a loaner up front. It sounds like it's partially their fault, but I know from experience at that dealer if you want a loaner car you have to ask for it. And no, not everyone gets one automatically.

You usually have to have your car in for a min of 2 hours and request it in advance at my dealer.. but you don't get a "I don't care how you get home" from then.. and that is UNACCEPTABLE. I'd have her job for that comment if I were GM.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:55 AM

I take my car to Autobahn for service all the time, I work about 15 minutes south of there in Menlo Park. They've always given me a loaner everytime I've been there. I noticed that they also have a driver/car that takes customers to their work. I'm not defending them, just sharing my experience with them. I do agree with the previous poster that you should've just told your SA that you wanted a loaner car up front. Perhaps they can have someone drop off the loaner to you? Can't hurt to ask. Good luck!

Sidenote: When a friend of mine was considering an SL55 2 months ago, the salesguy (at Autobahn) said they didn't have one on the lot for us to try, but they did have an SL600. He tossed us the keys, said bring it back in a couple of hours, and have fun! Man, that was one serious ride! Gobs and gobs of endless torque.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:50 PM

2003 E-500
My dealer (and all MB dealers in this area) always offer loaners. You should get one at the time you drop off the car as they will often take longer than estimated or find something else that needs fixing at same time as the repair. The only time I don't get a loaner is when I bring car in for a free car wash or for something simple like a bulb replacement.

Talk to the GM about the surly attitude of the lady you talked to and, as a minimum, they should pay for your taxi to the dealer to get your car or loaner until it's been fixed. If they don't, report it to MBUSA.

Good luck!
Old 09-02-2005, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i bought my coupe used from autobahn, and both times i have taken my car in i have recieved a loaner..

I think that when you make the appt. you have to specifically ask for a "loaner" they only have a certain # of cars to loan out. The salesman "Nelson" told me this when i bought the car.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by kyee
I noticed that they also have a driver/car that takes customers to their work.
...or to drive tourists to the airport...yes, they do that as well at autobahn...

greetingz,
Old 09-02-2005, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBenzNL
...or to drive tourists to the airport...yes, they do that as well at autobahn...

greetingz,

would those be Dutch "tourists" who fix their cars for them.. hmm... hmm..