E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

a pic of my w211 replacement... B6 S4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I have been admiring the new Audis. Whenever I price them, I find that they are not that far in price from a "comparable" sized Benz, so I ask myself "Who buys an Audi?" They don't attract the "Label ******", its true, are they that much more dependable? Their build quality appears to me to be equal to MBs, yet, when I remove the snob appeal factor and the closeness in price to a Benz I again find myself wondering why not buy the Benz & get the "Snob Appeal" too.

Even a Lexus hasn't earned MBs "Snob Appeal yet, although it does have their owners wondering why we put up with all of MBs electronic engineering flaws.

...and yes, the new grille should end up being modified by the stylists quickly. Its not "menacing" or "snarling". Its just a huge hole in the front gasping for air... but overall the car is beautifull.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:41 PM
lig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4

Barry - you've gotta test drive an S4 just for the fun of it. Clearly doesn't have the same cachet as a Benz but fun as hell to drive. Even though it it's a heavy car - it feels light on it's feet until you really push it.

I guess I'm not that into labels when it comes to cars. My favorite car is still my Honda!

I do like having spendy suits though. The labels don't show on the outside but the pick stitched lapels and drapey construction really are evident to anyone who knows good tailoring. I suppose it's the same way for cars with me.

Apples and oranges for sure. Fit and finish is first rate and :fingerscrossed: the new models are supposed to be very reliable. We'll see about that.

The new Audi "Nuvolari" inspired nose... not really my cup of tea. The wifey thought it looks like a koala bear nose. :p

Last edited by lig; 09-08-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Like I said... a beautifully executed car. Enjoy!
Old 09-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
thanks for the maturity lig. I'm on board ricky. I'll show better respect to the forum members. Hope that's enough said.

How can an E55 be slower than a C32? HOW??!?!?
Old 09-08-2005, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by jangy
thanks for the maturity lig. I'm on board ricky. I'll show better respect to the forum members. Hope that's enough said.

maybe 0-60, but the rest of the time the E55 will eat it up..
Old 09-08-2005, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by CE750

e55 (amg) ......0-60.....4.5 sec....

c55 (amg) ......0-60.....4.9 sec.

c32 (non amg)....... L.O.L...........
Old 09-08-2005, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Then I stand corrected... I had been told the C55 was quicker than the E55 off the line..

Doesn't make sense.. same engine, lighter car.. odd.

Last edited by CE750; 09-08-2005 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Stock to stock, the E55 will eat the C32 for lunch, but with mod, anything is possible.

Old 09-09-2005, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
I have no doubt at all that your car would kill me on the freeway in a C32. But at the streets of willow I think the C32 would be many seconds faster than your or my E55. With a lap time 2-3 seconds faster than EvoSports C32 with 500 hp I think we are doing fairly well.

I know the E55 does not transition well and a course like the streets at willow will really put a big car in its place. I have chased C55's and left them for dead and the list is very long for cars that were made to pull over. Granted there is a driver variable here but im not pro. My best time was in a semi wet condition where i put down a time that was the fastest of the day against a fleet of 4wd evo's.

Not trying to pick at you (well i was before when you were being agressive with everyone ) but the E55 is not a sporty car. Fast as hell yes but not what I expected when taking delivery.

But you are a local guy and you seem interested in a track day so hey lets say winner buys dinner and we see who can get around the tack quicker? Sound good to you? I always have wanted to see an E55 at the tack so please come on out. You would be a quick car out there so I know it would be a good time.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
e55 (amg) ......0-60.....4.5 sec....

c55 (amg) ......0-60.....4.9 sec.

c32 (non amg)....... L.O.L...........
Id swear last time i was out in nappa the roads turned and twisted a bit. Maybe it was the wine but i swear they twisted.

0-60 is a pointless test and as i saw the debate it was not a contest of 0-60!

but alas yes an E55 will kill a C32 in a straight line. No questions asked there.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Id swear last time i was out in nappa the roads turned and twisted a bit. Maybe it was the wine but i swear they twisted.

0-60 is a pointless test and as i saw the debate it was not a contest of 0-60!

but alas yes an E55 will kill a C32 in a straight line. No questions asked there.
boring! :p

dood big willow, who's down?
Old 09-09-2005, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have no doubt at all that your car would kill me on the freeway in a C32. But at the streets of willow I think the C32 would be many seconds faster than your or my E55. With a lap time 2-3 seconds faster than EvoSports C32 with 500 hp I think we are doing fairly well.

I know the E55 does not transition well and a course like the streets at willow will really put a big car in its place. I have chased C55's and left them for dead and the list is very long for cars that were made to pull over. Granted there is a driver variable here but im not pro. My best time was in a semi wet condition where i put down a time that was the fastest of the day against a fleet of 4wd evo's.

Not trying to pick at you (well i was before when you were being agressive with everyone ) but the E55 is not a sporty car. Fast as hell yes but not what I expected when taking delivery.

But you are a local guy and you seem interested in a track day so hey lets say winner buys dinner and we see who can get around the tack quicker? Sound good to you? I always have wanted to see an E55 at the tack so please come on out. You would be a quick car out there so I know it would be a good time.
BTW, you must have me mistaken for someone else.. I don't have an E55. I only wish I did.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
OK OK..... I am tired of all this mush.

I will go to Willow with the E and eat some C32. I have raced there many times on the motorcycle and in the open wheel carts, so I at least know the course.

Sure the E is a boat. Sure I have to drive it that way. Take it easy and tight through the turns and let the power drift me out. I am sure that I will not be taking you two wide through any of the turns and I will not be diving under you with my agile braking skills. But, do not forget. You have a C. We are both stuck with the Mercedes design. We are both engineered by the same people (sort of). How do you figure the C is a sports car and the E is different? I never called the E a sports car. All I know is that I can and have smoked NUMEROUS cars in the C class. Not just on straights, but up Palomar mountain. Speeds under 50mph, much less 120.

The difference with this E series is in the dimensions. The four wheels are much more spread out than previous generations. In fact, the wheel base to car width ratio is as close to 1:1 as it has ever been. The ONLY legitimate four seater that is close is the OLD generation BMW M3s. The ones that they cut short by removing a section of the rear passenger leg room. With all due respect to 911s, they are not legitimate four seaters. Fast, but not cruisers. The C is almost at a 2:1 ratio. Long and skinny. That really helps agility.

Another funny note for the C32 man. How can you possibly figure that "your" E500 will outhandle me? Just because of the extra hundred pounds or so? Trust me, plus or minus 500 pounds on an E55 will not be noticed. We minimize that impact by increasing displacement and adding forced air induction. I've had an '02 E320, an '04 E500, and an '06 E350. NONE of them was even close to the E55. In all honesty this point of yours is the hardest to swallow. It really is why I discount so much of your talk. It simply makes no sense. Why would Mercedes pay to have AMG parts put in when they could just throw on new rims and say that it is faster than the E55? Maybe it is all marketing to get me to pay $100K rather than the $60K for the E500?

And just to clarify. ANY thoughts that a C (55 or 32) is anywhere near as fast as an E55 in a straight line is just silly. The reason is simple. Many of you are confused with the 55 title. Contrary to CE750's notions. The two motors are very different. One is non aspirated (C55) and the other is super charged (E55). The C32, well let's just say that it is supposed to have the same horses as the C55. For some reason, the AMG hands were kept off of that model. Perhaps Mercedes did not want the luxury features added and wanted to go with the raw power and handling of a non-AMG C320?

Lastly, stop the apples to veggie comparisons. We can ALL do MODS!!!
Actually, many of us are (including me). Do you really think that the E55 that the Mercedes Race team drives will get blown by your track car? Get real and keep the topics real.

If you all really want to play with some big boys, slide on into the E55 forum and check out a few of the rides and drivers. I am no pro by any means. And my car is not much faster than a stock one. But, there are people in that forum that are very different. LOTS OF TRACK CARS. See how they do. Real stories with real endings. No need to ponder. No need to fantasize. No what ifs. No if I had this mod. None. They have been there and done that and I swear to you I have NEVER heard of them even mentioning a C class or ANY car in its class even being a contestant. I am sure you see tham at Willow from time to time and yet no mention of it?

Lets do meet up. Sounds fun. I want a bit more than dinner. No disrespect to you, actually I am growing to like you, but I will not be a very nice winner and sitting at a table together and having me talk smack may not be so pleasurable. How about a shopping spree at our favorite mod shop instead? say for a Franklin, just to keep it to bragging rights?
Old 09-09-2005, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Lets do meet up. Sounds fun. I want a bit more than dinner. No disrespect to you, actually I am growing to like you, but I will not be a very nice winner and sitting at a table together and having me talk smack may not be so pleasurable. How about a shopping spree at our favorite mod shop instead? say for a Franklin, just to keep it to bragging rights?
Pls let us know when/where this contest will be. I would cancel any thing (even if it's my wedding or aniversary) to come and check out this race . Heck, if a C32 or E500 can beat the E55, there's no need for me to save up

I think the idea of shopping spree sound good. It's hard to sit down & having dinner when the two just try to smoke each other.

If anyone take wager for a bet, I'll sign up for the E55 camp.

Sign me up for a lit of spectator, pls
Old 09-09-2005, 11:40 AM

Mercedes all the way!
my my my, egos flying around left right and centre :Y

i've just one question: i don't know, but i've never been attracted to audi. find them very predictable, very politically correct, very "no questions asked". whereas i always prefer the so-called baroque (from topgear magazine, i believe) styling on mercs.

not saying it isn't a good car, but just don't understand how anyone could actually lust after such a thing. then again, i'm always more D&G than Brooks Bros :P maybe i'm just immature hahaha
Old 09-09-2005, 11:51 AM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Originally Posted by ruykava

not saying it isn't a good car, but just don't understand how anyone could actually lust after such a thing. then again, i'm always more D&G than Brooks Bros :P maybe i'm just immature hahaha
Actually I think that is a fair statement. I've always wanted an S4. That doesn't mean I have always lusted for one. There is a difference. I love driving it. No question. I was actually ready to buy a G35 Coupe but I didn't really love it after driving a few of them.

Cars that inspire *lust* in me: F430 360CS 911 GT3 - if I had more $$$ one of them would be mine.

BTW I'm more Zegna than D&G but I'm old enough to be Brooks Brothers. :p

Maybe the C32 vs. E55 should turn into a hurricane relief fund raiser. That would be pretty cool.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
OK OK..... I am tired of all this mush.

I will go to Willow with the E and eat some C32. I have raced there many times on the motorcycle and in the open wheel carts, so I at least know the course.

Sure the E is a boat. Sure I have to drive it that way. Take it easy and tight through the turns and let the power drift me out. I am sure that I will not be taking you two wide through any of the turns and I will not be diving under you with my agile braking skills. But, do not forget. You have a C. We are both stuck with the Mercedes design. We are both engineered by the same people (sort of). How do you figure the C is a sports car and the E is different? I never called the E a sports car. All I know is that I can and have smoked NUMEROUS cars in the C class. Not just on straights, but up Palomar mountain. Speeds under 50mph, much less 120.

The difference with this E series is in the dimensions. The four wheels are much more spread out than previous generations. In fact, the wheel base to car width ratio is as close to 1:1 as it has ever been. The ONLY legitimate four seater that is close is the OLD generation BMW M3s. The ones that they cut short by removing a section of the rear passenger leg room. With all due respect to 911s, they are not legitimate four seaters. Fast, but not cruisers. The C is almost at a 2:1 ratio. Long and skinny. That really helps agility.

Another funny note for the C32 man. How can you possibly figure that "your" E500 will outhandle me? Just because of the extra hundred pounds or so? Trust me, plus or minus 500 pounds on an E55 will not be noticed. We minimize that impact by increasing displacement and adding forced air induction. I've had an '02 E320, an '04 E500, and an '06 E350. NONE of them was even close to the E55. In all honesty this point of yours is the hardest to swallow. It really is why I discount so much of your talk. It simply makes no sense. Why would Mercedes pay to have AMG parts put in when they could just throw on new rims and say that it is faster than the E55? Maybe it is all marketing to get me to pay $100K rather than the $60K for the E500?

And just to clarify. ANY thoughts that a C (55 or 32) is anywhere near as fast as an E55 in a straight line is just silly. The reason is simple. Many of you are confused with the 55 title. Contrary to CE750's notions. The two motors are very different. One is non aspirated (C55) and the other is super charged (E55). The C32, well let's just say that it is supposed to have the same horses as the C55. For some reason, the AMG hands were kept off of that model. Perhaps Mercedes did not want the luxury features added and wanted to go with the raw power and handling of a non-AMG C320?

Lastly, stop the apples to veggie comparisons. We can ALL do MODS!!!
Actually, many of us are (including me). Do you really think that the E55 that the Mercedes Race team drives will get blown by your track car? Get real and keep the topics real.

If you all really want to play with some big boys, slide on into the E55 forum and check out a few of the rides and drivers. I am no pro by any means. And my car is not much faster than a stock one. But, there are people in that forum that are very different. LOTS OF TRACK CARS. See how they do. Real stories with real endings. No need to ponder. No need to fantasize. No what ifs. No if I had this mod. None. They have been there and done that and I swear to you I have NEVER heard of them even mentioning a C class or ANY car in its class even being a contestant. I am sure you see tham at Willow from time to time and yet no mention of it?

calm down calm down... i

just come out lets see what happens. Streets of willow... lets pick a day. finally a local person who wants to track their E55!

This really will be fun!

As for the idea that amg just throws on wheels and calls it a tuner car? Well sad thing is that... thats really not far from the truth. A blower some brakes and some wheels. Old AMG's had different bushings, control arms subframes etc. these new car are just run of the mill cars and all but the engines are made on the same production line as the other cars. 500E, C36 old E50... those were real tuner cars. These new things are just profit builders. Sad but true. The M5 is a real tuner car.

Im not in this for money bud.. and no i wont buy mods for you. A nice day at the track is fun but why turn it into a "buy me stuff" day. If you win you can come tell everyone you were correct and well that is your prize. We both will be out the door 1k in tires after the day so that is enough of a cost.

But it should be fun. Lets get a day going! maybe get 20 people together an RENT THE TRACK?

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 09-09-2005 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:21 PM

'06 BMW 530i, '03 BMW M3
finally a local person who wants to track their E55!
Are either of you guys instructors because I'd be up for going too. My track time is limited to 6 days at Road America with both the BMW and Audi clubs. I'd like to learn a few things and am not ashamed to say you'd leave me in the dust even though my M3 is much more track friendly than an E55. All driver IMO. I saw a mid-60s mini copper with an expert driver pass an M3 at RA. Now that was something to see....
Old 09-09-2005, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
BTW, you must have me mistaken for someone else.. I don't have an E55. I only wish I did.

sorry about that! dont get to worked up its not really worth the 90k enterence fee
Old 09-09-2005, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
c32 (non amg)....... L.O.L..........
say what? C32 (non-amg) ?

gona say that was a typo i guess....

Old 09-09-2005, 08:30 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E320 Platinum Blue/Ash, Appearance Pkg, Premium Pkg
The C32 mods will hands down toast the E55 on the track at Willow. Not even a question. That 32 is hands down the clear winner in handling and braking, and Willow doesn't have a straightaway long enough for the 55 to catch up.

Last edited by barw211e320; 09-09-2005 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by barw211e320
The C32 mods will hands down toast the E55 on the track at Willow. Not even a question. That 32 is hands down the clear winner in handling and braking, and Willow doesn't have a straightaway long enough for the 55 to catch up.
Oct. 14th. SOW.

How does that work for the group?
Old 09-09-2005, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by schwarzwagen
Oct. 14th. SOW.

How does that work for the group?

Sept 18 could work as well?

SOW
Old 09-09-2005, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Sept 18 could work as well?

SOW
and I thought you were working... HA!
Old 09-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Sounds like we are working it out. I am fairly flexible. I do work. And I have plans when the Lakers come to San Diego (pre-season). Other than that, let's work something out.

C32: No problem. I don't need your cash either. Since we are correcting typos, let's just add the fact that the E55 AMG does have a HUGE number of changes from the E500. One huge one is a COMPLETEY DIFFERENT STEERING RACK (on my '05)!! Haha. Don't get mad just because the AMG badge means different things on different cars. I do have one request for you, though. Once I wax your C320, please "sell" your matchbox scale E500, E55, and any other E class you may not have and move on back into the "old" C - class forum so that they can laugh at some of your vast experience with high end cars.

The M3 dude: I can not speak for C32, but I am no trainer. You do sound like you have enough track experience to join us. No matter how testosterone lased we sound on here, we are all car enthusiasts and are usually pretty friendly at these type of meets. Come on out and you will be pretty happy at how the car performs.

Alright folks... sign up. Any other participants? Anyone want to look into closing the track and the cost per person? If nobody cares, I have a crew of friends here that would probably join us and share the cost. They do NOT drive Mercedes', so you all choose. They have an '04 911 TT, an '04 Viper, an '05 Vette, and a late 90s DINAN M5. I've gotten into some pretty good battles with the TT. He's my life long friend and we went through the SCCA ranks together. He's pretty fast once that thing is rolling. Pretty much steady and precise. I have to literally muscle his *** to get anywhere with him. The other cars are fast, but they are mostly stock (even tires). I have actually been VERY disappointed at the handling of the Viper and Vette. I would have assumed that the Vette would have been faster, but it is EXTREMELY sensitive to road imperfections. The suspension is just not that active. I do like the look, though.

Let's settle on a date. How about picking 4 or 5 days and letting the participants vote on the one? I really do not care and am so damn busy that I do not look to the next month (haha).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: a pic of my w211 replacement... B6 S4