Difference between Euro and US bumpers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 BMW 550i
Difference between Euro and US bumpers?

I had a fender bender, and the bumper needed to be replaced. I had the dealer do the work in their body shop. So I finally get it back, and when I examine the car, I see that there seems to be a greater than normal gap between the hood and the bumper. Sure enough, I look at another E on the lot, and while I can stick my pinky finger between the hood and bumper, I could not do that on another E.

I had the body shop guy look at it, and he agreed that the gap seemed bigger than normal. Now the reason that I suspect that MB possibly sent the wrong bumper or something is because it is perfectly lined up on the side seam. It was almost closing time, so I didn't have time to have them do a check of it.

I'm going to bring it back soon, but does anyone know whether the bumper is different either between model years, or between Euro and American specs? Or something else that may cause this?
Old 09-21-2005, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
W211 Bumpers are different on the Impact Inserts..USA With UGLY orange side markers..Euro Without..Unless its a AMG or Sport Bumper..

Have the shop (REFIT) the bumper..
Old 09-21-2005, 04:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
I am inclined to say no, both bumpers should fit the same other than the details mentioned already. This gap as you describe it is, in my opinion, unacceptable even if there was substantial damage caused behind the bumper.

Recently I was involved in an accident that had off set damage to the front bumper and the car was returned like-new, flawless work and immaculate detail.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/120360-accident.html
Old 09-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
it is just a matter of alignement...the bumper, headlights and hood (grill) can all be aligned in different directions

greetingz,