E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

What 6 year old worked on your car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 E63 ///AMG
What 6 year old worked on your car?

Took my 04 E500, in for the Safety Recalls SBC Software Upgrade #2004050014 , Program Battery Control Module #2005060008 and a few other warranty issues (minor). Dealer is in Spokane WA., 350+ miles away from me, and they needed the car for 2 days, Friday & Saturday. I stayed overnight in Spokane and they fixed me up with a loner car, P.O.S. Chevy Malibu. Took wifey along and made a week end out of it. It was kind of fun other than the crap loner vehicle.

Yesterday, Tuesday, I get a call from the service advisor, apologetic as hell telling me the Tech did the wrong SBC recall on my car. Seems as though he did Recall #2005070007 SBC Bracket and Ground Wire Replacement. Advisor tells me they need the car ASAP as the Software Upgrade in vital.

I’m hot enough to romance right now. They offered to come and pick the car up from me, but I’m rather **** when it comes to my E500. I can’t force myself to let some shop boy behind the wheel for 5+ hours one way rodding the hell out of it.

I think I will demand the dealer give me per-diem and I’ll bring it out to them. What’s your opinions?

Also how urgent is the software upgrade? Car now has 8000 miles on it.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2005, 05:11 PM

2003 E-500
If they come and pick it up on a flatbed and return it on a flatbed, I'd let them come and get it. They can also use the flatbed to deliver a MB loaner to you. This is what my local dealer does for customers when problems like yours develop. If the dealer won't do that, I'd definitely tell him you expect to be reimbursed for your travel and other expenses.

Good luck!!
Old 09-28-2005, 08:29 PM

03 E500
Flat bed sounds like a good idea. I wouldn't let them drive it to and back either.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
If he's talking about the first SBC recall, then I don't see what the problem is. That recall merely programs in a counter of brake applications that will warn you to take the car in for inspection when it reaches a certain level. If you've just had the bracket recall done, then they should have inspected the pump for the SBC controller. You don't need the counter, it's simply a C.Y.A. device implemented to make sure you don't wear the SBC pump out before you have the car serviced. Not very likely.

I'd call the guy up and find out just what he's talking about. I've learned that most of these guys haven't got a clue about TSB's and recalls.

Make them tell you what's going on. If it's the first recall, you should be able to wait on it.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:13 AM

09 E63 ///AMG
If they come and pick it up on a flatbed and return it on a flatbed, I'd let them come and get it
This is exactly what I am telling my SA. Drive the 5-6 hours one way and pick it up & return it on a roll-back, or reimburse my expenses and I'll bring it in.

If he's talking about the first SBC recall, then I don't see what the problem is.
It is the first recall, and the SA was adamant about getting it back. Exactly what you said about CYA.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Funny, I actually made the mistake myself. With the onslaught of "recall" campaigns coming in, I overlooked one of the programming campaigns.

What I find interesting is that the last part of the SBC recall campaign is that you check using the SDS to see if there are any software updates available for the SBC unit in the vehicle. So it should have been done either way.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
You are a brave man

to own a Benz and be that far from a dealership.

If I lived in an area that remote I think it would have to be a Chevy Truck repairable with goods from the local feed and seed.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:36 PM

09 E63 ///AMG
Originally Posted by cdiken
to own a Benz and be that far from a dealership.

If I lived in an area that remote I think it would have to be a Chevy Truck repairable with goods from the local feed and seed.
That’s part of the deal about living in Montana. Where the total state population is 900,000 and the land area is 146,000 square miles. That’s about 6 folks per square mile, and we natives like it that way!

Believe it or not we do have paved roads out here, you’re not afraid to go out after sun down, and you can leave home with out locking your doors cause your neighbor is a friend and he packs a six shooter, along with every other Montanan. There’s more truth than not to the old saying “The coldest winter I ever experienced was a summer in Montana”.

BTW, I do have a ‘05 GMC pickup, a ‘04 Jeep Liberty, '02 Acura and a fully restored 1970 Pontiac GTO. I also have a feeling if you were to come out west and step into one of our so called "seed and feed" you'd get eaten alive.