E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Front lamp plug sockets added - service bulletin?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 x164
Front lamp plug sockets added - service bulletin?

Anyone else have this done on your 211?

I've got a 2003 E320 (with an April 2002 build date). I'm driving from Los Angeles to San Diego on business and the dash display says Malfunction: "Front Left Turn Signal" Each time I turn on the left blinker, the tic-toc is much faster. Logic tells me the bulb is burned out....

I stop by MB of San Diego and they say a tech will replace it for free ASAP as a complimentary service. Apprentice tech pulls out bulb and gets new one. Inserts it -- same malfunction. Repeats process with 2nd new bulb. Still doesn't work.

Then the older and wiser tech tells the apprentice that they need to perform the lamp plug socket service bulletin...Apparently, on "some" models, the connectors burn out and they need to install an additional socket (hence tapping into the existing harnesses for new wiring) and also grounding the plug. He performs this for both sides (left/right) using a 203 model lamp plug socket. He also confirms that they use it on the 211, 220 and 203 models. Then the malfunction goes away and everything is as it should be.

Tech says if the connector hadn't burned out this soon, they wouldn't have known to perform the service.

Anyway, kudos goes to MB of San Diego for great service . Whole process only took 35 minutes. Still about the connectors though.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:05 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
TSB P-B-82.10/258a DEC03
Front Turn Signal Lamps Inoperative - Model Year 2003 & 2004

This is caused by inadequate electrical contact between the turn signal bulb socket and the headlamp housing.