E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Trip meter keeps on resetting itself!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Trip meter keeps on resetting itself!

I know I have posted this issue before, but I am wondering if anyone else has had any issues with this since I brought this up in the past.

As I am now just about at 1/4 tank of only city driving I am looking at my trip odometer and I only see about 310 miles on it. I was a bit surprised to see such a low number so I scrolled to the trip computer and looked at the MPG, Hrs, Avg. MPH and miles driven screen since reset. When I look there I was still averaging 20.9 MPG and I had driven 340+ miles. I always reset that screen when I gas up.

So, now I see that the trip meter is off again! I pulled out my fuel logbook and I decided to simply go off the main odometer and the trip computer was dead on, but the trip meter was off. I have mentioned this to the main tech at my dealer last spring and he had never heard of this. He said that there were many factor that could interfere with the trip meter.

So, I am about 2,700 miles away from my service C and I want to make sure that I know as much as possible about this issue before I take it in. I suspect that I will be taking the car in for service in the next two months since snow is coming and I will be driving this car much more.

Anyone have any clue?

Steve
Old 10-06-2005, 11:23 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
I'm clueless, as usual. Is the trip odo actually resetting itself to zero or some lower number, or just recording miles at a lower rate (70%? 90%?) than the main odo? It sounds like the latter from your description.

Our '97 BMW had a software bug which caused the trip odo to reset to zero when it reached 500 miles or so. I can't imagine what would cause the trip odo to accrue miles at a lower rate than the main odo, though, since they presumably run from the same input. Anyway, I haven't noticed anything similar on our car, but I don't actually pay much attention to the trip odo or "miles since reset" setting.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by DWP
I'm clueless, as usual. Is the trip odo actually resetting itself to zero or some lower number, or just recording miles at a lower rate (70%? 90%?) than the main odo? It sounds like the latter from your description.

Our '97 BMW had a software bug which caused the trip odo to reset to zero when it reached 500 miles or so. I can't imagine what would cause the trip odo to accrue miles at a lower rate than the main odo, though, since they presumably run from the same input. Anyway, I haven't noticed anything similar on our car, but I don't actually pay much attention to the trip odo or "miles since reset" setting.
The trip meter is resetting itself to 0 most of the time, I once saw it because I had just recently reset it and then I drove about 20 miles. When I started the car the next morning it was back at zero!

I have also gotten a totally odd number that was high too. One day it is fine and then it might read something like 700 miles. However, it always counts miles correctly when it counts though.

Steve
Old 10-08-2005, 11:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury fully loaded
trip meter reset

The trip meter is designed to reset all items to zero after the car has been off for 4 hours.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
No it's not. I always reset mine when I fill up to see how far I get on a tank. The average speed, driving time and MPG reset to 0. The trip meter does not. (Well, at least for most of us. Sorry SAguirre.)
Old 10-09-2005, 01:11 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Originally Posted by Mavrogenis
The trip meter is designed to reset all items to zero after the car has been off for 4 hours.
Hope this helps.
You may be thinking of the MFD screen that displays average speed, mileage, etc. since the car's "Last start." That's different from the trip odo, which is the bottom set of numbers on the MFD circle, just above the oval total mileage odo. The trip odo is always present on the MFD, no matter what other information the MFD is displaying, and shouldn't reset until the driver resets it.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by xraymd
No it's not. I always reset mine when I fill up to see how far I get on a tank. The average speed, driving time and MPG reset to 0. The trip meter does not. (Well, at least for most of us. Sorry SAguirre.)
Originally Posted by dwp
You may be thinking of the MFD screen that displays average speed, mileage, etc. since the car's "Last start." That's different from the trip odo, which is the bottom set of numbers on the MFD circle, just above the oval total mileage odo. The trip odo is always present on the MFD, no matter what other information the MFD is displaying, and shouldn't reset until the driver resets it.
I am happy that both of you corrected that post. I have already spoken to the head mechanic at my dealership and my service advisor. They will look into it and they always do a great job at attending to my issues. However, they told me that I should try and give them the circumstances in which it tend to reset itself so they can try and troubleshoot it.

Well there is the problem, I have not been able to figure out what is going on exactly once it resets. I usually notice once I stop to fuel up and I am resetting both the MFD and the trip odometer. But I think I will check it every time I start the car from now on.

So, it sounds like I am the only one with this issue really, so we will see what happens.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 04-24-2012, 10:15 AM

Merc Coupe C180 petrol 02
C180 2002 petrol

I have the same problem with the above car. Fuelled up 2 days ago and reset trip meter before i drove off. car calculated miles back home ok.

When used again next morning was showing 0 again,?? drive car and was calculating miles ok again that day.

Next day again when started up again was showing 0!

Im trying to calculate my miles per gallon and always have no problem up until now as it wasnt resetting itself every time the engine stopped.

Help Help - this didnt used to be the case its just decided to start doing this of its own accord??

Can anyone please give the solution to make it record again and not clear when the engine is turned off?

Thanks
Old 04-24-2012, 10:54 AM

2013 E350
The W211 has 2 trip meters. The first resets after four hours of the car not running. The second keeps going until manually reset. Is that the issue? Are you resetting the first (miles since last start) and not the second?

JK
Old 04-24-2012, 11:22 AM

Merc Coupe C180 petrol 02
c180 2002 coupe petrol

Originally Posted by jbec.keane
The W211 has 2 trip meters. The first resets after four hours of the car not running. The second keeps going until manually reset. Is that the issue? Are you resetting the first (miles since last start) and not the second?

JK
Hi there, its actually the one that shows above the cars main mileage (main screen), this is the one ive always used and been ok?

I was always able to reset when refuelled and would keep calculating until I reset again no matter how many times i had stoppped and started the car, so yes would be the second option.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:04 PM

2007 e350
Just wondering if this issue has ever been solved?
I have same issue. Both the "From Start " and "From Reset" stats reset on their own every morning.. sometimes even after half an hour.
On top of this my analogue clock doe s a"reset" where it will run backward a full cycle and then forward again til it gets to the correct time. all three of these issues happen together.

No warning lights on dash.

I have had a new battery. issue still occurs.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 GLC300 4Matic
Trip computer reset

I have the 2019 GLC300 4 Matic. There are 4 resets available. From start which automatically resets to 0 after 4 hours of car not running. From reset-I reset this value when I fill up the gas tank and then don't touch this setting until I fill up again. Trip odometer-reset when I get gas and don't touch until nest fill up. Eco meter-I believe this automatically resets after 4 hours of car not running. Here is my problem. The from reset value will just reset randomly. It used to work fine and only would reset when I performed a reset. The from restart seems to behave as expected. I was at the dealer yesterday and mentioned this and they have never heard of this. Actually while I was there I manually did a reset of the from start and then checked the from reset. This value didn't reset but I checked it an hour later and the values in the from start and from reset were the same. The first time I noticed an issue with the from reset values I figured it was something I triggered but it has happened at least 4 or 5 times now so it isn't me. I would assume at this point it is a software glitch.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:56 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
I think I only have one trip computer. I always reset mine when I fill up. The second screen of the trip computer will only reset after the battery was disconnected.
My trip computer will also reset whenever I reset the service interval. So when I start getting messages stating that service is due in xxx, then reset the computer(?), the trip computer resets.
Mike T.