New E350 4matic owner! Few questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E350 4Matic
New E350 4matic owner! Few questions...

Hi everyone. I frequent alot of forums but first time posting here. I'm picking up a flint grey E350 4matic later today and I simply can't wait!

Few things...

What are some common issues with the 211 Eclass? I have to admit that with all these posts about problems you guys are having, its alittle discouraging. Especially since i'm coming from a POS ML430 that was built like garbage. I just want to know what to look out for incase my car ever shows signs of it.

Also, can someone tell me what are some exterior/mechanical differences between a 350 and a 500?

What are some good places to order accessories for my E?

Thanks!

Alan
Old 10-08-2005, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Don't sweat it bro.... We have a few cry babies and MB haters here and there the ones that seem to do most of the negative posting here. That being said, there are however true viable complaints about the e class that seem to be mostly electrical, but seem to be more true to the earlier models... Your buying a fine automoible, Pick it up and enjoy it.

As far as differences on the exterior..... I'm not sure other than probably rims and badging. Basicly all the cars are identical.

B.T.W.... Try to pay close attention to your salesman when he's going through the functions of your car at pick-up... These cars can be a little complicated at first...

Oh yea... I'll save you an additional post by telling you now that radio presets are NOT available via steering wheel controls... A major complaint here, but nothing you can do about it.

Good luck with your ride and post pic's when you have a chance.

P.S.... Please update your info to include where the hell your from and what your driving for future reference....This helps alot when trying to answer ????

Last edited by HELL ONA HARLEY; 10-08-2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Almost a Member!

06 E350 4Matic
Thanks for the info.

Is the front grill different between the 350, 500 and the 55? It might be the picture angles but the 350's grill looks different to me.

First thing i need to do is find a setup of bi-xenons and led tail lights. None of the dealers around here had the 350 instock with hids.

Alan
Old 10-08-2005, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
The E is VERY reliable from the objective data out there.. don't go off of anecdotal stories on this site or other internet sites.. Electrical is defenitly the weak spot though.

RELIABILITY REPORT

Now wether it should come with standard full leather for $55K+, don't get me started on that!
Old 10-08-2005, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Alan l.
Thanks for the info.

Is the front grill different between the 350, 500 and the 55? It might be the picture angles but the 350's grill looks different to me.

First thing i need to do is find a setup of bi-xenons and led tail lights. None of the dealers around here had the 350 instock with hids.

Alan
When the hell are dealers going to learn that Bi-xenon's should be ordered on every car they stock for inventory! My S430 was the same situation...had a trunk opener but no Lighting Pkg...:-(
Old 10-08-2005, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Hey Jack..... If you want to post here with us pulpers, you need to chage your sig back to the E photo. Quit dangeling that bad *** S out in front of us. Your killing me...
Old 10-08-2005, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Hey Jack..... If you want to post here with us pulpers, you need to chage your sig back to the E photo. Quit dangeling that bad *** S out in front of us. Your killing me...
Did I own a W211...seems so long ago....LOL
Old 10-08-2005, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I got Bi-xenons installed after... it's not the best choice, but since there wasn't a CDI on the west coast with them, it was the only way to go... I actually made the (in hindsight) stupid assumption that a $55K car came with them standard, and didn't even bother to ask. HoH knows this story...

Contacts Steve@MbenzNL.com and he'll get you any OEM after market "mod" you need... if the dealers don't have it in stock.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CE750
I got Bi-xenons installed after... it's not the best choice, but since there wasn't a CDI on the west coast with them, it was the only way to go... I actually made the (in hindsight) stupid assumption that a $55K car came with them standard, and didn't even bother to ask. HoH knows this story...

Contacts Steve@MbenzNL.com and he'll get you any OEM after market "mod" you need... if the dealers don't have it in stock.
Thanks CE...going to get the Wood Wheel taken care of and then check out the bi-xenon's.

(HOH: Notice I didn't show my signature on this post...)
Old 10-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Alan, best of luck - you made a fine choice!
Old 10-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
I'll save you an additional post by telling you now that radio presets are NOT available via steering wheel controls... A major complaint here, but nothing you can do about it.
For what it's worth, I'm working on it!
Old 10-08-2005, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Alan - Don't worry about it. Pick about any car you could think of and go to the respective forum. There's always going to be more posts about negative things because people are on the forums looking for help or giving warning. I was nervous about ordering an E after reading the posts here. But then, just for fun, I went on the BMW forums to read about the E39 5-series. I loved my 540 and had no problems at all. Guess what? Most of the posts on the 5-series boards were from people with car trouble. Made me feel a lot better.

On the downside. My check engine light came on last night. Oh well. I checked and it's still there.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:46 PM

Mercedes all the way!
hey, this post should be pinned - good advice for new/potential owners

i can never believe it when Mercs don't come with bi-xenons. it's a *must* feature for a luxury car, to me. in south east asia only the lowest specced S280 and E200k come without bi-xenons or LEDs - since even the camry comes with them!
Old 10-12-2005, 11:05 AM
Almost a Member!

06 E350 4Matic
Ok guys I picked up the car. Brand spanking new with 2miles on the odometer

Some "problems" that i might be exeriencing with my 350 4Matic....

Faint squeak coming from the brake pedal area the first inch of pedal travel. Happens every time i step on the brake pedal whether the car is on or off.

Transmission seems to feel jerky at times or slow to upshift. Is this the common issue i'm seeing all over these boards?

Does your trunk open insanely fast like it was about to eject off the car? Mine seem to do this as well. Not sure if its normal or not.

I figure since the car is new, if there was any recalls or tsb's, MB would have fixed it before delivery. I guess i was wrong?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

with in a few days, you're tranny will learn your driving habits and wont jerk like that any more.. same was the case of my mom's E350..

there are no TSB's that I'm aware of on this new of a car. Enjoy it..
Old 10-12-2005, 12:49 PM

2016 E350, 2013 C300 4MATIC, 2004.5 C230SS
Faint squeak coming from the brake pedal area the first inch of pedal travel. Happens every time i step on the brake pedal whether the car is on or off.
My E500 started doing that (about 90% of the time) after dealer performed SBC hydraulic unit campaign last week. Except I think mine is coming from the lower engine compartment.

I am taking it back to the dealer this Friday.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:12 PM

Transmission seems to feel jerky at times or slow to upshift. Is this the common issue i'm seeing all over these boards?

Does your trunk open insanely fast like it was about to eject off the car? Mine seem to do this as well. Not sure if its normal or not.

I figure since the car is new, if there was any recalls or tsb's, MB would have fixed it before delivery. I guess i was wrong?
I nearly fell of my seat when I read your trunk comment. I thought the exact same thing when I first opened my trunk. I'd like to know the answer to this question as well. I feel like it's going to knock someone out one of these days. Good luck with your new car.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:52 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Don't forget to book an appointment with your SA so this way when something happens to your car, you don't have to wait that long! Just kidding, enjoy your car
Old 10-13-2005, 12:57 AM
Almost a Member!

2006 E350 4Matic, 1990 300SE, 1984 190E, 1994 BMW 540ia
Yes the grille on the E350 is the same....Matter of fact you really can't tell the difference between the ol e320 vs this car except for the new non-armrest console and the numbers on the back. The E500 has different wheels. (I'm assuming you at least have the new std. issue 17s) and the E500 gets digital climate controls, full leather among other small things. Some things are decontented like puddle lamps etc. E350 has a 7-speed transmission but our 4-matics have 5. I notice my transmission is a lot more jerky and anxious in S mode, C mode is more relaxed because of the 2nd gear start. The trunk has some extra spring to it and actually counterintuitively takes more effort to close than lift....but wouldn't it suck if you hit the trunk release and it propped up partially open? (I had a few cars like that, it sucked) I think the thinking there is if you press the fob to open and your hands are full the trunk will swing open fully quickly and easily. Logically when you want to close it your hands will be free to slam it. They used some heavy duty hydraulics there to last a few years I guess. I wish it was more like my S-class you never have to slam it. It has a cool "click" when you shut it gently so you know it's closed.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 10-13-2005 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:11 PM

All of them, as much as I can...
Thumbs up Here's one for ya...

I found out today–driving in the torrential rain that has been battering the northeast–that the sensor-driven windshield wipers not only change in frequency, but also in speed! In driving the E350 from an area with just a sprinkle (intermittent wipers) to a downpour(as fast as the 2nd setting of slow speed) the wipers started to speed up to the max speed as the downpour got heavier.

Interesting new technological advancement? I never noticed this on 3 other MB cars I've had with the rain sensor feature... :p
Old 10-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Another interesting function is that when the wipers are set to intermittent wiping they stop when either front door is opened to prevent splashing those who exit or enter.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:57 AM
X72

Honda Accord
[QUOTE=Alan l.]Does your trunk open insanely fast like it was about to eject off the car? Mine seem to do this as well. Not sure if its normal or not.[QUOTE]
Alan, your car sounds to me to have the standard trunk which is opened with springs. These springs can be adjusted so that the trunk opens a bit slower and also not as far. This is one should complain to the dealer about next time you have it in for service. If you are handy, you can do this yourself.
If this really bothers you, then a car with Keyless Go and the auto opening and closing of the trunk may have been a better choice for you.
William
2003 E320
Old 10-16-2005, 10:07 AM
X72

Honda Accord
My theory on the springs to open the trunk is that MB sells a lot of E class taxis. The springs to open the trunk can endure severe use without failing, unlike pneumatic struts.

If you live where there are steep hills and if the springs are not tight, the trunk won't stay open by itself. If you are on relatively flat land, even when you lower the spring tension, the trunk can be pushed to full open and it will stay fully open. If you are on a hill and the springs are not tight, the trunk can fall back and hit you on the head.
William
2003 E320

Last edited by X72; 10-16-2005 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:37 AM

Congrats on your new car! The list of usual electrical gremlins is short, but worth keeping in mind.

MAF sensor
O2 sensor
Window Regulators
Sterring angle sensor

I've replaced them all over the past year and a 1/2 ( except the window regulatos knock wood), but after they we're done I had a car that i love to drive every day, and isn't that the most important thing? The transmission actually changes once it establishes a driving pattern of yours, so once your done with your break in drive it like you stole it for about 1000 miles. The changes in throttle response will be astonishing...this is without a doubt the best shifting automatic I've ever had in a sedan! Personally I like the way the trunk lid blasts open, but make sure you don't leave a coffee cup on the trunk by mistake or it could hit the space shuttle!

Have fun with your car.....they are STILL 100 times better than a lexus!

Old 10-16-2005, 04:15 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 E350 4Matic, 1990 300SE, 1984 190E, 1994 BMW 540ia
Springs were designed for E-class taxi variants? Now that's a new one! I gotta give you credit for thinking of that. I also don't mind of the extra power to open and more effort to close. As for the rain-sensing wipers they were cool at first but now I notice erratic behavior with light rain. Sometimes it won't auto-sense it....then you kinda have to wake it up by turning them on....then they start wiping too fast for the light rain, speed up slow down and get all confused....then when the rain stops there it is, still wiping!.....I agree on the highway with moderate to heavy rain it modulates and works perfect!