E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

help - i'm beginning to like the A6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
help - i'm beginning to like the A6

so i was cycling along this morning and i saw an A6 turning into a parking lot. it's a car i've seen often enough. i had even considered purchasing it once but decided to stick with the E. it didn't give me any "feeling".

but this morning, suddenly, something awakened in me. i found myself wanting and admiring that car. it's got a really pretty butt, a serious face (well, always wears a long face, but nothing's perfect) and a strong body. it's like a woman in a business suit and horn-rim glasses- serious, a bit aloof. sure, nowhere near as elegant as my E but i start wondering seriously how it would be like to have a change... for once, i begin to understand why the germans deserted the E for this newcomer.

what's happening? am i getting old? hormones? the weather? UFO zapped my brain? oh well, when i saw my E again i couldn't understand how i could have been attracted to the A6 - the E is so much prettier, friendlier, and warmer - but i did, just for a moment there...

http://www.audi.co.uk/newcars/galler...els/a6/saloon#
Old 10-27-2005, 02:07 PM
lig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Better go drive one and scratch that itch. It's the subtle ones that will drive you wild. :devil:

My S4 is a much more entertaining car to drive than my W211 was and the car has ~20K on the clock. It has been in the shop *zero* times for anything other than oil changes.

My E had been in at least 5 times in the first 20K for one #$%^ thing or another.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:40 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Originally Posted by ruykava
so i was cycling along this morning and i saw an A6 turning into a parking lot. it's a car i've seen often enough. i had even considered purchasing it once but decided to stick with the E. it didn't give me any "feeling".

but this morning, suddenly, something awakened in me. i found myself wanting and admiring that car. it's got a really pretty butt, a serious face (well, always wears a long face, but nothing's perfect) and a strong body.
Happens to those of us in even the longest-lasting and most committed relationships from time to time; that paragon of moral virtue, former U.S. President Jimmy Carter, admitted to "lusting in his heart" (for other women, not other cars).

Personally, I can't see myself having even a temporary infatuation with the current A6. To me, its "face" isn't serious; it's more on the order of ludicrous and grotesque. It joins the current 5-Series BMW as a car I would never consider owning just because of how it looks. There isn't any "right" or "wrong" in esthetics, though; it's all a matter of personal taste.

http://www.acclaimimages.com/_galler...11-0810_SM.jpg
Old 10-27-2005, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
One of my family cars is the new A6. It is very nice indeed. I don't know what to tell you, but I still LOVE my 1995.5 S6. It has NOT been totally trouble free, but it will SMOKE the E320 or the E350. It might be a really close call with the E500. Not to mention it is a total blast to drive!

I got into Audi cars because of their Quattro system. However, since 1998, the 4-Matics have been every bit as good.

Go ahead and drive one, but in the end it is not a Mercedes. If I had to choose, I would not know what I would choose though. I would be torn.

Steve
Old 10-27-2005, 03:07 PM
lig

As much as I love my Audi I can't get over the "Nuvolari" nose. Way overdone IMO.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
When the new A6 came out, I originally hated the design, and really only liked the A8. Now that I have seen it more, I have started to like the A6 much more, and will now consider it for my next car once my lease runs up late next year.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:03 PM

Mercedes all the way!
i think i know what hooked me - it was definitely the butt. beautiful lines there and perfectly judged. doesn't help that the E's butt has never quite satisfied :lol:

well, sorry lig but i don't quite fancy the -4s and the -8s. just the new A6 - like you said, it's the subtle ones :p haha and my E has been trouble-free - the most trouble-free car i've owned for several years in fact - seems i must lead a charmed life =)
Old 10-27-2005, 04:09 PM
lig

I'm all about the booty!

I do think the new A6 rear is very nice. Much better than the A4. I do like the A8 as well - the interior is unbelieveable! I just don't need a car that big.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:16 PM

1998 ML320; 2005 Audi A6; 2006 Honda Pilot
A6 vs. E350 4-matic - Help

I am looking at both the Audi A6 3.2 quattro and the E350 4-matic. Similarly equipped, a left over 2005 A6 is substantially cheaper. I need to go back and drive the MB again (drove it a couple of weeks ago and drove the Audi yesterday) but I recall getting more of a warm fuzzy with the Benz. I've been feeling a little gun shy lately however due to the experiences that we have had with the ML which we have owned since new.

Help me out folks - the wife says "no brainer, why spend more for the E350" when they are so similar in size, safety, performance plus free maintenance and regular gas instead of premium for the A6. Then there are the kids who like the heated rear seats and 18" wheels on the Audi. The wife also reminded me that our 2000 Volkswagen has been trouble free with exception of a new water pump at 100,000.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:41 PM

Mercedes all the way!
well, since this is the MB forum it's likely people are gonna recommend the E. in fact despite my slight straying today i'd still prefer the E - as you said, more of a warm fuzzy, and i much prefer the E's interior.

also, don't think you'd get any mechanical problems with the 4matic - it has very proven parts.

end of the day it's your choice. i say you'll be happier day-to-day with the Merc. just feels that bit more special. but if the price difference is really big, well, i really don't know. since you can afford it, buy with your heart is my advice.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:35 PM

2018 GLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by Calcio
I am looking at both the Audi A6 3.2 quattro and the E350 4-matic.

Take a look at the 2006 Acura RL 3.5 AWD (300hp 260ft/lbs torque). I love my 2005 RL 3.5 AWD, so far it has been great and receives compliments wherever I go. They come fully loaded from the factory, although you can get neat A-spec accessories from your dealer. I will be giving the car to my son when my C6 Z06 arrives, but only doing so in confidence that it will bring him many miles of driving satisfaction. I looked at the A6 3.2 Quattro, 530xi, M35 AWD, and GS300 AWD.. the Acura took the win. I did not look at the 350 4 matic at the time because my local dealership did not have any in stock.

Just my .02$
Old 10-28-2005, 03:24 AM

06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
Originally Posted by ruykava

but this morning, suddenly, something awakened in me. i found myself wanting and admiring that car. it's got a really pretty butt, a serious face (well, always wears a long face, but nothing's perfect) and a strong body. it's like a woman in a business suit and horn-rim glasses- serious, a bit aloof. sure, nowhere near as elegant as my E but i start wondering seriously how it would be like to have a change... for once, i begin to understand why the germans deserted the E for this newcomer.

what's happening? am i getting old? hormones? the weather? UFO zapped my brain? oh well, when i saw my E again i couldn't understand how i could have been attracted to the A6 - the E is so much prettier, friendlier, and warmer - but i did, just for a moment there...

http://www.audi.co.uk/newcars/galler...els/a6/saloon#

Wear this....TRUST ME.....it's for your own good!

Old 11-01-2005, 09:49 AM

e500 2004
The A 6 is a fun car but you will need to dump it when warranty falls off. They just aren't a car to run up mileage. Accura is a good option if you don't have passengers in the back seat and a small trunk is ok. It is like new BMW 5 series with all wheel drive.