2006 E280 VS 2006 E200 Kompressor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB W210 E320 Brabus, Porsche 2000 Boxster
2006 E280 VS 2006 E200 Kompressor

Hi Fellow mbworld enthusiast:

I am about to place an order for the 2006 E280 (3.0 Liter V6). The range of E class offered in my region includes the E200 Kompressor, E280, E350, E500, and the E55 AMG. Due to the high import/ registration tax and fuel price in my country, most opt for smaller displacement engines.

I have been following this board for many months now and have heard about the massive safety recall on the SBC brakes and other electronic problems. But I'm still a die hard Mercedes fan having owned the W210 E320 for the past 8 years. I've never had any big problems with mercedes cars other than small electronic glitches. Word has it that Mercedes is dropping the SBC brakes all across the line up in 2007.

I intend on keeping this car for about 10 years and want to buy the most reliable model in the line up. Would the E200 Kompressor (1.8 L supercharge 4 cylinder) with 5 speed electronic transmission be a more reliable car than the E280 (3.0L V6) with the 7 speed electronic transmission? The 5 speed auto has been around forever as well as the 1.8 L supercharged 4 cylinder engine. I wont be doing any aggressive driving at all due to the traffic conditions. The car would be used as a people hauler and errands. Which car would fellow members opt for in terms of reliability? Both cars have SBC brakes as standard and no air suspension as an added option. The E200K does 0-60 mph in 9.9 seconds and the E280 does it in 7.4 seconds (not important to me). The fuel economy are similar with combined cycle of 31mpg and 29 mpg respectively. The E200k retails for US $78,000 and the E280 retails for US$ 87,000. Again reliability is my biggest concern at this point.

Many thanks in advance,
writing from Taipei, Taiwan.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by brabuseclass
I have been following this board for many months now and have heard about the massive safety recall on the SBC brakes and other electronic problems. But I'm still a die hard Mercedes fan having owned the W210 E320 for the past 8 years. I've never had any big problems with mercedes cars other than small electronic glitches. Word has it that Mercedes is dropping the SBC brakes all across the line up in 2007.
Please let me clarify the situation on SBC brakes.
  • Very early on, taxis in Europe had problems with the SBC pump wearing out. This was on taxis that had an ungodly number of brake applications.
  • The first recall on SBC was nothing more than to program a warning to owners to take their cars in for service after a certain number of brake applications. The average user would probably never see the message. It was done in response to the unusual circumstances with the taxis.
  • Early on in the U.S., there were some instances of SBC shutting down. These were caused by inexperienced dealers incompletely bleeding the SBC system. This problem went away when dealers learned how to bleed SBC brakes.
  • There have been some unexplained shut downs of SBC and it turns out that the cable that plugs into the back of the SBC controller could work loose in some situations. Mercedes have issued a campaign to modify the plug so that it will not come loose. This was a recall telling the dealers to check cars in for service and to modify the plug if it hadn't been done. They were also told to inspect the SBC pump for wear.
  • I personally believe that Mercedes are dropping SBC on W211's primarily in fear of liability issues and cost. The brakes are fantastic and IMHO, the biggest problem is the cost to maintain them. Fortunately, it's been learned that individual owners can change pads and rotors as easily as they have done so on their other Mercedes.
  • There has been a lot of Chicken Little (the sky is falling, the sky is falling) posts about SBC and other issues but anyone who takes the time to investigate the truths of the matter, will discover that there is a reasonable explanation for these things.

Last edited by BudC; 11-13-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
i think reliability will be just as good no matter which one you choose. if that is your primary discriminant, then just go for the E280. the 280 engine, while new, is not much different from the 350 which has been in the SLK with no problems for quite some time now; same with the 7-speed tranny.

in terms of drivability, even though 0-100 is not important, i think the added torque of the 280 would come in handy - i personally find the 200k to be underpowered in the E (hence i chose the 240, which was the only other one available at the time). the 280 should be even better.

unless you can get better trim levels for cheaper on the 200k (doubt it) i'd say, go 280!
Old 11-15-2005, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL 350 & E class 200K avantgarde
Originally Posted by brabuseclass
Hi Fellow mbworld enthusiast:

I am about to place an order for the 2006 E280 (3.0 Liter V6). The range of E class offered in my region includes the E200 Kompressor, E280, E350, E500, and the E55 AMG. Due to the high import/ registration tax and fuel price in my country, most opt for smaller displacement engines.

I intend on keeping this car for about 10 years and want to buy the most reliable model in the line up. Would the E200 Kompressor (1.8 L supercharge 4 cylinder) with 5 speed electronic transmission be a more reliable car than the E280 (3.0L V6) with the 7 speed electronic transmission? The 5 speed auto has been around forever as well as the 1.8 L supercharged 4 cylinder engine. I wont be doing any aggressive driving at all due to the traffic conditions. The car would be used as a people hauler and errands. Which car would fellow members opt for in terms of reliability? Both cars have SBC brakes as standard and no air suspension as an added option. The E200K does 0-60 mph in 9.9 seconds and the E280 does it in 7.4 seconds (not important to me). The fuel economy are similar with combined cycle of 31mpg and 29 mpg respectively. The E200k retails for US $78,000 and the E280 retails for US$ 87,000. Again reliability is my biggest concern at this point.

Many thanks in advance,
writing from Taipei, Taiwan.
I have 2005 E200K compressor, Avantgarde. I also consider E350, but E350 is expensive more than 200k because its option, not engine.(Korea) .Power of 200k is enough for daily driving---its top speed exceed 230km... And you must know, this new 200k engine(M271-1800cc) is more silent ,powerful and has little vibration than previous m111 2000cc engine. In korea 1800cc is very economical by low car taxes---Our country lay a tax on car by engine size(cc). I am satisfied with 200k. If I were you I will have 200k and with 9000$, I will get some mods...by steve.... Have a good choice