Market Price of 2003 E500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by Calcio
True, but not sure I understand your point. The dealer auction prices are the current wholesale value of the car and give you a good basis for determining a fair price. You will not get this on a trade or by selling to Carmax but there are folks out there with a used car dealer license who will go to the auction for you and buy you a car for $500 to $1000 over (that’s how I got these numbers). That being said, I would rather buy one from an individual than this way so I can get the history, other than a Carfax, and touch, see and smell the car.
I understand, but my fear is that people who read this are now going to think that their price for an E500 is the price an auction car sells for +1000 or something.. which is not how the real world of used cars works for 95% of people. Most people pay "retail" and this is the price found in the paper for a private party, or on the lot at the dealer for a Starmark car.. The Auction cars are sold "AS IS" and there is a lot of risk in buying at an action.. in many cases you can't even examine the car or see any of it's history when you buy there, and typically auction cars are higher milage or less desirable (Accident) cars.. not well maintained and well looked after low milage cars like the one in this thread... that can account for 20-25% more price!

Bottom line.. NOT ALL USED CARS ARE EQUAL

BTW, OT but since you have the Platinum Blue, how do you think the charcoal interior would look in it?
I think it would actually look better..... I have a dark (Charcoal) upper part of my dash, and ash for the rest of the car... but I could have been very happy with a all Charcoal interior if I weren't in AZ.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 ML320; 2005 Audi A6; 2006 Honda Pilot
Ce750

Good point and thanks!
Old 11-19-2005, 11:20 PM
abk
Almost a Member!

03,E500,jade black\charcoal,Sport,Folding Seat,Sunshade,Heated Seats,E2\E3
I have an 03 E500, 15k miles, integrated phone with voice command, extended warranty, sport package, hk sound, wood wheel,jade black/charcoal...this car is a great machine and is totally cherry.. and has all the options I needed (no navigation, but the dealer told me that the MB system at the time was not good and I have no use for it)....I have had no problems with this car...I am planning to replace it for various reasons with a SUV (am looking at the Range Rover Sport and a few others)...the dealers are all offering 35K, which is ridiculous..but after reading the messages above, this confirms that I will need to sell it privately...I think its worth 45+, but will take something in that range....if anyone in N. Calif is interested, let me know. This car is perfect and the color is awesome.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by CE750
First off, no dealer will give you a $ over whole sale blue book for any car, period.

second of all, there are two different values for a car.. second hand to a party ,and second hand to a dealer... they are about 10-15% apart. A very low miles E should get low KBB pricing easily.. the only issue I can see is the '03 was the first year, and most people steer away from a first year of anything.

I can tell you this, if I put my CDI on the market today, I'd get back 90% of what I paid for it with in a week. Almost the same can be said of any 2005 E.. as a matter of fact one sold for $50K (2006 E350, basic package 11000mi).. just this last weekend in the paper.

It's really not an accurate comparison to quote the trade in value of the cdi, which is an extremely hot car due to the recent gas price spike. The 03 e-class cars ( and the 99-02 versions as well) are suffering the backlash of all the negative reliability ratings assigned to these models. In many cases they are justified, an many cases they're not, but very few people want a car that they fear will give them problems out of warranty. Now add the additional fact that there are a TON of low priced new car offers out there due to the american car makers woes, and you get a rapidly depreciating market on all used sedans.
Personally I think a 3-4 year old v8 e-class for 27-35 grand is a screaming bargain, which is why I bought one. Sadly, we're in the minority, and my now 4 year old car would be lucky to get 21 thousand. Don't overpay for your friends car, you'll regret it when it's your turn to sell. I reccomend offering 36-37 k for it max.