E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E500 4matic 13k service question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500 4matic 13k service question

Hey gang- new member here. Grreat site, but wishing I could have found it before taking the reins of an "05 e500 4matic this past weekend! Oh well- I love it so far (gave up the Audi A6 after 6 years).

Searched the sticky on service, but wondering if I can get some advice on the 13k service. I am in the NYC area, and would like to get an average price for the service. Since I bought the car used, I assume this service is no longer free. I can't get a dealership to give me a quote on the phone

Also- again I've searched and seen the entries, but I woudl like to get the Ipod hooked up to the NAV system as well. Any idea on what I should expect to pay? (one rude service employee gave the cost for the parts , around $150 if I recall, but would not commit to any time for the install).

Thanks much.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:34 AM
X72

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord
united- guy ewr, try using the Search function, which is a little to the left of the Log Out button for your iPod question.

The free service would be free for you too even though the car is second hand. It is just that I think the last year of included maintenance was model year 2004. You can check me if you search this; this topic also has been discussed frequently.

I change my own oil in my driveway; I put the car up on ramps and drain the oil. Other people use a suction device to suck out the oil, which would be an option for you. Mobil 1 0W-40 costs now a bit over $5 per quart in my area and my E 320 uses 8 quarts. I buy a Mann Fleece oil filter online for about $15. So my cost for an oil change is about $60.

An MB oil filter likely costs $20 to $25 dollars (same filter but branded MB) and the dealer probably will charge you at least $9 per quart for the motor oil. So you are at about $100 in "parts" for an oil change. Add in about an hour of "labor" which in NYC is probably over $100/hour, shop fees, and taxes, and you are looking at something approaching $300 for your A service in NYC. They will also check the other fluid levels besides the oil & filter change. This is my guess.

While the car is under warranty, you are likely better off getting the car serviced at the dealership. Should anything go wrong, they won't have an easy way of blaming you and will likely treat you better. If you are keeping the car after the warranty expires, then you can look for a good independent MB mechanic and save yourself about 25% on dealership prices.

The nice thing is the car only requires a once yearly visit for service for most people. Enjoy your vehicle.
William
2003 E320