E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

4matic vs. Quattro

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 ML320; 2005 Audi A6; 2006 Honda Pilot
4matic vs. Quattro

I’m looking for an explanation of the differences between the MB 4matic and the Audi Quattro systems. Found this on Edmunds while searching:

Chat MC: Welcome to the chat! Tonight we'll be talking with Filip Brabec, Audi of America Product Planning Manager, about where quattro® has been and where it's going.
Chat MC: Welcome, Filip, and thanks for taking our questions, and for celebrating 25 years of quattro with us!
Filip Brabec: Hello, everyone. It's good to be here. I'm looking forward to a fun chat!
RG asks: How good is Audi's quattro as compared to Subaru's AWD, BMW's Xdrive & MB 4MATIC?
Filip Brabec: Audi's quattro has a history of 25 years of development. It is the only system in the industry that permanently distributes power to all four wheels through a Torsen® center differential. It is the only mechanical AWD system that is permanent.

Is the primary difference mechanical versus electronic? How about real world driving on dry, wet, ice and snow?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:40 PM

1998 ML320; 2005 Audi A6; 2006 Honda Pilot
Bump

Anyone, anyone Bueller?
Old 11-16-2005, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
It is interesting how one can state facts and still be vague and confusing.

Notice that the issue about permanently distributing power to the 4 wheels really is referring to the Torsen center differential. It is obvious that BMW and Mercedes also permanently distribute power to all 4 wheels; they just don't use a Torsen center differential.

By saying that it is the only mechanical AWD that is permanent; I don't know what he thinks the other systems are. Maybe he is saying this because no matter what the traction is, each wheel will get power. My 1986 4000CS Q would lock the center and rear differential and this made it go through anything as long as it was a straight line. Since all the wheels were turning at the same speeds, turning roundabouts in snowy situations was a challenge. My S6 Audi now has a Torsen Center differential variation that will transfer power from the front to the back axel as needed. I can still lock the rear differential. This system is better than the older version.

If you add up all my Audi Quattro miles driven it is about 400,000 miles. In the last 20 years. My family has driven much more. All along, there has never been any repair issue on any part of the Quattro system! It is as bullet-proof as you can make it.

In the late 80s BMW introduced the 3 series in X AWD, it was a disaster! The system was incredibly loud and you could still get stuck as long as one wheels per axel lost traction. It had no differential control.

In 1991, MB came out with its first 4-Matic on its 300E. The system was incredibly complicated! It could work in RWD mode, 40% front 60% rear AWD mode and then it could transfer power all around and lock differentials. The system (when working) was incredibly good, especially around turns. The problem is that still today, you have to replace the transfer case every 90K miles. This costs about $3,000.00. The system was just too complicated for the time.

The current 4-Matic from MB is a permanent AWD system, the difference between this system and the Quattro is that MB does not use a "Torsen" center differential and MB uses the brakes to stop excessive wheel slippage. The 4-Matic system knows how fast each wheel should be turning when you are driving straight or in a curve, then it makes sure that no wheels spins out. This system can even send power from one side of the car to the other.

I currently find that the 4-Matic is friendlier when it comes to turning. Otherwise they are both great systems. As per BMW, I imagine that the new X drive in better than the original system they came out with which was terrible! BMW is coming late to this AWD game, but I am sure the X drive is more similar to the 4-matic than the Quattro.

BTW, I hear that Audi is not renewing the patent on their Quattro system, so you might start to hear this term applied to other cars now.

Steve
Old 11-16-2005, 06:07 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
As a quattro owner I actually prefer the AWD setup in the STi. Electronically adjustable front/rear.

You can power drift an STi with ease. Not easily done w/ quattro or 4-Matic.

The new S4s come with a 40/60 F/R split. That would be more entertaining than the 50/50 in my B6 S4.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by lig
As a quattro owner I actually prefer the AWD setup in the STi. Electronically adjustable front/rear.

You can power drift an STi with ease. Not easily done w/ quattro or 4-Matic.

The new S4s come with a 40/60 F/R split. That would be more entertaining than the 50/50 in my B6 S4.
I don't know about the STi, but I must say that it is much easier to power drift on my 4-Matic in the snow than on my S6. The 4-Matic has a 40/60 F/R split, my S6 is 50/50 like your S4. I still love my Audi and I think that it is a bullet proof system, but the 4-Matic can control the power to each wheel much better in turns (at least I think it does).

Steve
Old 11-18-2005, 02:53 AM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Steve -

One of the cool things about the STi is that you can simply electronically control the front/rear bias. You can dial it up to roughly 10/90 or 20/80. Very cool!

I've never tried 4Matic in the snow. Sounds like fun!